• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which Unix (not Linux) for a PC?

Yes, I was going to look into the portage archive (especially because I was looking for JOE ;) )

Yes, I was going to look into the portage archive (especially because I was looking for JOE ;) )

Glad to hear you got FreeBSD up and running on it. Before I messed around with the Ports tree, I'd check to see if the program you're looking for exists in the package archives. From the FreeBSD site:

"For most ports, a precompiled package also exists, saving the user the work of having to compile anything at all. Each port contains a link to its corresponding package and you may either simply download that file and then run the pkg_add command on it or you can simply grab the link location and hand it straight to pkg_add since it is capable of accepting FTP URLs as well as filenames."

If by JOE, you're referring to "Joe's Own Editor", then a pre-built package ( 2.9.8 ) already exists. Just go to the "Editors" page of the Ports collection on FreeBSD's site http://www.freebsd.org/ports/editors.html and download the package from there (or as the above text stated, give the ftp address as a parameter to the pkg_add utility).

Back