• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Who holds the copyrights of Pong?

vishnu77

Hi there,

i'd like to create a new game which uses some of the game mechanics of pong. Like having a stick which is being used to reflect a ball and play against another player. Sure there will be some differences but still in its core it might resemble pong more then i'd love it would do.

Anyway, i wonder if i have to acquire a license to create such game without being afraid to get into any legal problems afterwards in case i'd like to sell it commercially. Also where/how i can acquire this license would be interessiere too.

I hoped due the fact Atari published pong i will find some answers here.

Thanks for any tipps

My best regards

HC

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
Hi there,

i'd like to create a new game which uses some of the game mechanics of pong. Like having a stick which is being used to reflect a ball and play against another player. Sure there will be some differences but still in its core it might resemble pong more then i'd love it would do.

Anyway, i wonder if i have to acquire a license to create such game without being afraid to get into any legal problems afterwards in case i'd like to sell it commercially. Also where/how i can acquire this license would be interessiere too.

I hoped due the fact Atari published pong i will find some answers here.

Thanks for any tipps

My best regards

HC

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/q...ping-infringe-on-any-copyrights-or-trademarks