• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WHO out there use an older system (8086, 286, 386 or 486) as their MAIN computer?

barney

Experienced Member
Is there anybody out there that actually uses an older computer system for all their computer needs (except of course the internet)?

Is there anybody out there that actually uses an older computer system for all their computer needs (except of course the internet)?
I use DOS for real work on one of the two "main" machines - the other one is for browsing and heavy graphics. For reasons of "snappiness", I use a P133, but functionally could just as easily use any of my 386 or 486 boards. Actually, any machine which runs DOS and has a hard drive is a usable machine for real work as far as I'm concerned. However, the use of upper memory for the TSRs (without which DOS looses much functionality) is pretty important nowadays. So no, I don't use a 486 or less daily - but close. :)

I like to type up papers in WordStar. Most of my gaming is in DOS except for Microsoft Pinball Arcade and a few others that only run in Windows. Then, I can take all of it with me on my Compaq Portable III.

HP 200LX (80186)...

Modern machines don't seem terribly reliable. (Acer netbook bought last December
died in September - The One-year warranty expired in August, claims Acer...)

Jack

Nothing that old, but I am looking at replacing my 2009 laptop with a Powerbook G4...

Modern machines don't seem terribly reliable. (Acer netbook bought last December
died in September - The One-year warranty expired in August, claims Acer...)
Exactly, I've had this laptop for less than three years and it's already starting to wear out (touchpad responsiveness is diminishing, the screen already has a dead pixel, the fan runs on high half the time and rattles even on low, and lately the video has been flickering out at random, disconcerting intervals.) But I grabbed a used, un-serviced Powerbook off eBay for cheap and found it still worked great seven years after manufacture, I'm hoping a refurbished unit will last even longer than that...

Last edited:
Back