• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why I love JiffyDOS

Never used it. I was given the cloned components of a Warpspeed cartridge and soldered all that together. The guys down at the calibration lab had all the goodied. All of their 64s had JD. They mounted. Toggle switches on the back to disable it if s/w choked.

Are there any alternatives to JD specifically? The routines in a stock 64 were alleged to be so idiotic that a 10 year old could've coded them better.

There are so many fastloader products out there, but I've only tested a handful. I mentioned Dolphin DOS which is supposedly even faster. There's also a patch to JiffyDOS called JaffyDOS that adds some customizations (change F-key behavior) and adds a built-in filebrowser for SD2IEC devices.

A comparison of the performance of differenet fastloaders is here:

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Comparison_of_fast_loaders

There was some kind of "JaffyDOS" (not Jiffy) that Adrian mentions liking best in one of his videos, iirc. At least I think it was him that did the video about all the different DOS replacements/extensions.

My first speedloader was SpeedDOS. Then I found EXOS V3. The advantage of EXOS V3: no extra hardware needed and you only had to change the ROM in the C64. It was slower but not much. Then I was given JiffYDOS. It was even faster than EXOS and changing an extra ROM, the one in the 1541, was no problem.
Another great advantage of JD, so far I haven't encountered any compatibility problems with my own hard disk project.

You know I have yet to try jiffy dos or even a speedloader on any of my commodore gear. I still do things the long way.

Back