• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why is the graphics card on IBM 5162 reporting an error?

ohmylove2u

Experienced Member
I got a graphics card.
The seller claimed that it can work on 286.
But when I install it on my IBM 5162. It just raised 1 long beep and 2 short beep error sound with nothing on the monitor.
I can't find any documents about this card.
Really grateful for any help.
0231231205006.jpg
231231205126.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with a 5162, but on a 5150 or 5160 i think it would indicate incorrect video card jumpers.

Did you set your jumper switches to expect an EGA/VGA card? Newer cards like that have their own BIOS that needs to run during POST, and the motherboard needs to be told to expect to find it, or else it won't run.

I'm not sure that card will function as the primary graphics card. Were there any EGA clones that used the 7220? The 256K of ROM is also strange.

Looking at the card more closely:

LH2464-12 x4: 64kb DRAM (Enough for EGA)
Crystal: 25.00 mhz (Some EGA cards have this crystal)
ROM: 256KB worth (definitely weird, way too high?)
Zilog 7220: could probably be used in a digital video card (like EGA)

However its also missing various EGA card features like light pen and rca jacks. Though that's not super uncommon either.

I don't feel theres enough on that card to suggest it would be a SBC or coprocessor card or anythin . But it's a little weird for a standard EGA card too.

It's definitely a graphics card, but I suspect it may be a high-res card designed for CAD and not CGA/EGA compatible. Zilog Z7220 is a clone of the NEC uPD7220 which was used on some CAD cards like the BNW Precision Graphics Adapter.

LH2464 is 64K x 4 bits, so it has 128K RAM. Just enough to do monochrome 1024x1024.

On the motherboard there is a switch SW1 to select the graphics card between mono and color. Try switching it to a different position.

Back