• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why so much Apple? Need a Commodore Fan's PoV

KevinO

Experienced Member
I was just posting over in the podcast section that we really need a Commodore podcast. There's so much cool stuff going on, that I think there would be lots to talk about. But there's really nothing, and even on the multi-platform podcasts, our beloved C= computers rarely get more than a brief mention, while Apple gets talked about 75% of the time.

Which brings me to the next question. Why are there so many Apple podcasts, and so much Apple content? I figured if I asked in the Apple forum, the answer would be because Apple is the best and you suck, so I thought I'd ask in the C= forum and see what your thoughts were.

Commodore went down in flames, but Apple still exists. Personally, I think if Jack had stayed at Commodore, he would have driven it farther beyond the company we actually got, and history might be otherwise. Apple is not the same company as it was back then, and Jobs did not have a contiguous role in the company, but when they say "history is written by the victors", this is just an example of it.

For instance, I've read various accounts of the West Coast Computer Faire, where both Apple and Commodore unveiled their new products. Most currently, Apple fans insist that the crowds went crazy over the Apple products, but contemporary articles suggest otherwise.

This all might sound bitter, and perhaps it is, but it is what we have today...

I sorta thought there was but maybe that was just my imagination. I don't get to follow many of the podcasts as much as I'd like to. I'm not sure how repetitive the issues are but seeing that there is a monthly e-zine for Commodore and yes lots of active hacking going on still I'd be surprised if one of them didn't have some sort of podcast presence. I mean, even the USB Kryoflux came out of the Commodore community IIRC.

Rob O'Hara's You Don't Know Flack podcast is a retro podcast, not Commodore-dedicated, but he mentions Commodore pretty frequently and makes reference to the 1541's loading time in every episode.

You can find it at http://podcast.robohara.com/?feed=rss2

I agree that part of the problem is that Apple survived and Commodore didn't.

I'd say another part of the problem is the "Cringely-fication" of history.

Brian Bagnall says it best in the introduction to "Commodore, a company on the edge":

"The history of early computers has tended to focus on Microsoft, IBM, and Apple, snubbing contributions made by Commodore. "There is a lot of revisionism going on and I don't think it's fair," says Commodore 64 designer Robert Yannes. "People wanted to ignore Commodore."

"An early-popularized story of the microcomputer revolution was Accidental Empires, by Robter X. Cringely (born Mark Stephens). The former Apple employee perpetuated a select view of the microcomputer revolution -- a view that not everyone accepts as accurate. In Infinite Loop, Michael Malone writes, "The pseudonymous Cringely is notorious for his sloppy way with the facts."

"In his book, Cringely said, "Commodore wasn't changing the world; it was just trying to escape from the falling profit margin of the calculator market while running a stock scam along the way." In reality, Commodore employees worked tirelessly to deliver state-of-the-art technology to its customers at prices far lower than Apple's.

"PBS adapted Cringely's book as a popular TV series, Triumph of the Nerds (1999). The adaptation ignored Commodore completely."

===Jac

There was a whole lot going on that history seems to have forgotten. Even those of us remembering Commodore tend to forget the others. In the early days of microcomputers, there wasn't just Apple, Commodore, and IBM. Not at all. In fact, the way I recall, it took almost 5 years for IBM to even really gain share in the home computer market. Apple and Commodore owners only concerned themselves with Apple and Commodore until the PC clones came along. By then it was all Apple and IBM (even though it wasn't really IBM). CP/M users didn't take Apple or Commodore or anyone else with a 6502 machine seriously. I can't imagine what Tandy, Atari, Mattel, etc etc etc users thought.

At one point, the two most powerful, and really most affordable, microcomputers on the market were totally ignored by everyone: The Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST.

I get the historical stuff, and the perception of Commodore not having been taken seriously, but there's a thriving Commodore community *now*, and we don't have a podcast. There's dozens of people yammering on about Apple, and it's as annoying as the people I run into in my IT profession that think "Get a Mac" is still the answer to every technical problem. I find many Apple products old and new are very cool (I recently bought a IIe and a IIgs), but then Apple *people* come along and suck all the joy out of it with their bigotry and make me want to use something else!

I'll check out You Don't Know Flack podcast. Thanks for that tip Dave.

Commodore went down in flames, but Apple still exists. Personally, I think if Jack had stayed at Commodore, he would have driven it farther beyond the company we actually got, and history might be otherwise. Apple is not the same company as it was back then, and Jobs did not have a contiguous role in the company, but when they say "history is written by the victors", this is just an example of it.

For instance, I've read various accounts of the West Coast Computer Faire, where both Apple and Commodore unveiled their new products. Most currently, Apple fans insist that the crowds went crazy over the Apple products, but contemporary articles suggest otherwise.

This all might sound bitter, and perhaps it is, but it is what we have today...
Would you mind linking me to said articles if you have access to them? I'd be curious/interested to see these.

In the early days it was Tandy that owned the market thanks to RadioShack stores. People don't even remember Tandy computers anymore. Atari and Commodore sold way more home computers then Apple and IBM did back in the 1980's. Hell just looks the retail pricing and you will see why clones for the Apple II and IBM PC popped up.

The Kyroflux came out from the Commodore crowd because Commodore software was mostly games and copy protected at that. Same with Atari.

Apple was NEVER a good performer for the prices they charged.

I think it works like this... I bet you can't find many vintage computer-themed podcasts that are primarily technical in nature. I.e about how to repair and restore, discussions about how to program in old languages, benchmarking, and so on.

This is because the typical podcaster is more of the writer and communicator type, not a heavy hardware or programmer tech. Makes sense, a person in the business of making an entertaining audio presentation has a different set of skills and talents. It is rare to find someone good at both podcasting and heavy tech. There is no exception for vintage computer-themed podcasts.

Apple has dominated the communications industry in general for a while now. Your vintage computing-themed podcaster, very likely also some sort of writer/public speaker, would probably have been using Apple products for years throughout his/her career. It would thus make sense that this person would know a lot about vintage Apple products, having used them for his/her entire career.

I don't know of any vintage computing-themed podcast whose principle host is younger than say 35 or 40. These are tech veterans. Are there any exceptions...a 20 something vintage computer tech-themed podcast that is any good with a regular following? If so it would be the exception for sure.

So that is why there is a disproportionate number of Apple centric vintage computer-themed podcasts. Nothing to do with marketshare or any of that. Just veteran communication professionals talking about that which they have the most experience.

B

Last edited:
Would you mind linking me to said articles if you have access to them? I'd be curious/interested to see these.

One is a physical copy of Byte that was published after the first West Coast Computer Faire. I don't have that one in electronic form. It's packed away right now, but I'm sure you can find scanned copies of it. I think it would have been April or May, but it was the first edition published directly after the fair.

edit: I think this is the 1977 Byte volume. The URL is weird, but it should take you to the report: https://archive.org/stream/byte-mag..._BYTE_02-07_Model_Railroads#page/n31/mode/2up

I am not sure where this one was originally published: http://www.atariarchives.org/bcc3/showpage.php?page=98

Hmm, this one was from the second Faire, 1978: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/the-...mpaign=Feed:+ModernMechanix+(Modern+Mechanix)

And some materials that appear to be produced by the producers: http://www.digibarn.com/collections/brochures/wcc-faire/. This one has references to other publications which might be more useful.

I get the historical stuff, and the perception of Commodore not having been taken seriously, but there's a thriving Commodore community *now*, and we don't have a podcast.
Perhaps it's only modern Apple people who take podcasts seriously. And I'm serious. I'm pretty sure I've never in my live seen a podcast. The closest I came was listening to Art Bell on podcast with my Amiga in the late 90s.

There's dozens of people yammering on about Apple, and it's as annoying as the people I run into in my IT profession that think "Get a Mac" is still the answer to every technical problem. I find many Apple products old and new are very cool (I recently bought a IIe and a IIgs), but then Apple *people* come along and suck all the joy out of it with their bigotry and make me want to use something else!
Most of this is for two reasons, from what I see. First and most important, Apple is extremely trendy. Wait until Apple doesn't have a product just behind the cutting edge. They have been very smart about that. They are not on the cutting edge anymore (think Newton "failure"), they are right behind it taking in all the glory.

Second, there are a lot of "IT" people out there (from what I've seen) who would have had their first real computer experience with a Platinum IIe or a ||GS. They probably didn't do much with it, and didn't use it for long, but that was their first real computer experience. After all, this is probably the only reason I own a TI 99/4A, an Apple ][+, and an Apple //e. It sure isn't because they can do things my '64 and '128 can't.

I agree that part of the problem is that Apple survived and Commodore didn't.

I disagree. The IBM PC survived and yet there is no podcast that covers early PCs, and the ones that cover PCs at all tend to be gaming-related only. (Which has prompted me to think about producing an early PC/compatible podcast on my own.)

Apple has dominated the communications industry in general for a while now. Your vintage computing-themed podcaster, very likely also some sort of writer/public speaker, would probably have been using Apple products for years throughout his/her career. It would thus make sense that this person would know a lot about vintage Apple products, having used them for his/her entire career.

So that is why there is a disproportionate number of Apple centric vintage computer-themed podcasts. Nothing to do with marketshare or any of that. Just veteran communication professionals talking about that which they have the most experience.

B

I hadn't thought of it in terms of podcasts, I think Bill has it exactly right. It's because journalist types are largely Mac users, and that has to account for the disparity in podcast topics.

My own random thoughts on this…

Re: Apple’s dominance in the podcasting scene. Bill’s hypothesis makes sense although in addition Apple did cultivate a culture of passion for their machines and maybe it’s equally a reflection of that.

Regarding podcasts in general, I enjoy listening to them. One’s I try to keep up with are Antic, Floppy Days and Retro-Computing Round-Table. It depends what rocks your boat though, as to value. My main interest is microcomputer history and I’m less interested in the (perhaps much larger) retro-gaming scene…mostly because I was an adult by the time I got my first micro and I was never an arcade junkie (Which reminds me… I must check out David Greelish’s/Vintage Volts new podcast on microcomputing history. ). I also like hearing about the latest retro-projects and the occasional interviews with movers and shakers of the day. Finally some podcasters and guests are also raconteurs, which make for an entertaining listen.

I agree that there is a huge vacuum in coverage in that few people talk about the classic BUSINESS machines. Perfectly understandable. There is far less nostalgia attached to them. People are fonder of things they used for play rather than just for work and there is no existing “scene” as such. Still, these machines were significant as far as computer history is concerned.

Anyway, podcasts, like any other creative works take a lot of time and effort so kudos to those prepared to contribute to our passion in this way.

Tez

I don't know about any articles that claim that the crowd flocked around Apple at WCF77; I heard that the Steve Jobs movie a few years ago made that claim. I didn't see the movie.

There is, however, an interesting report by David Ahl appeared in Creative Computing magazine, available at http://www.atariarchives.org/bcc3/showpage.php?page=98.

Interestingly, Mike Markkula (marketing director at Apple) apparently confirms what we all suspect: The visitors to the Apple booth weren't there specifically for Apple, they had no clue what the future was going to bring and how important we now regard the event.

Ahl: Are you pleased with the attendance here?
Markkula: Yes.
Ahl: Wildly or just mildly?
Markkula: In terms of numbers -- wildly, but in terms of the reasons for their attendance, I'm not sure exactly why so many people are here. An awful lot of them are just plain curious as to what's going on.

===Jac

In most ways Apple, and more specifically their relevance in the late '70's and early '80's has been ridiculously overplayed, exaggerated, and filled to the brim with lies thanks to revisionist history and rabid fanboyism. There's a reason anything Jobbo the clown touched was said to have a "reality distortion field" around it...

You always hear how "important" Apple was, when to be frank it's a bunch of bull. Atari sold more 400/800's their FIRST year in the market than Apple sold from '77 to '81. Even the Apple II's 'peak' year never equaled the first year sales of the Coco. You get the C64 in the mix, and the ENTIRE run of Apple II's barely equals what Commodore did in it's second YEAR ALONE.

For all the cheap-ass shortcuts the Woz took (some of which WERE brilliant) they're always explained as "keeping the cost down" -- then why was EVERY competitor after ~1980 half the price? Why were the competitors prior to that point effectively the same price without cheaping out on design (disk controllers for example), while using a "more expensive" processor like the Z80, 6809, TMSwhateverTheBlazesNumber, etc, etc? Or laughably using an entire second 6502 inside the drive?

MOST of those sales by Apple don't even count as home user sales either since they duped endless schools into wasting money on them... and YES, I do mean wasting money, but that could be because my first high school bought two dozen of them in '85 (so long after the II's relevance it was basically throwing money away) to lock them in a room where the student's couldn't use them as they cost too much to risk letting the students damage them. Admittedly, this is the same school system that switched from F's to E's as F had the negative connotation of "failure" -- which is why in the key for the report card it read "E - Failure"... and where I had a English teacher call the cops on me because of my answer to an extra credit question.

Of course, I've been knee deep in computing since the mid '70's... so why is it I never even SAW an Apple II in the flesh until '85? Why is it I never even got to use one until '88? (and that was actually a GS)

Why is it that outside of public schools I NEVER knew ANYONE who actaully owned one?

TRS-80, Atari, Commodore -- Hell, you were more likely to find someone owning a Coleco Adam than you were to even find anyplace SELLING Apple II's.

Admittedly, I'm east-coast and in the middle of "Wayne Green" country -- Remember 80 Micro? Remember how it outsold Byte (made in the same place, Peterborough NH) 2:1 and was WGE's cash cow? Remember how Byte had to stop being about just Apple and started being about everything EXCEPT Apple?

It often seems like Apple was a West Coast US "only" thing. NOBODY in my area who knew the least bit about computers took Apple seriously... and that includes the Mac and later devices. It was something you heard about, but never actually SAW. Hell the first time I saw a Mac was on a college campus in... I guess it would be '93ish; trying to convince a lady friend's dipshit professor (Is there any other type?) that there actually was such a thing as Windows, and that there was Pagemaker for it so she could use the machine I had built her the year before instead of wasting five grand on a Fisher Price "my first computer".

I believe my exact words were "If you want to dupe kids in their ignorance into putting themselves further into debt with vendor lock-in, you should be telling them to use QuarkExpress -- though I believe that unlike Aldus they don't give your school a kick-back on every sale through the college union."

Yeah, I've always been a real popular guy. Of course that the textbook for the class at $300 a pop was written by the professor; no conflict of interest there either.

... and people wonder why I consider higher education and the vast majority of people involved in it to be nothing more than a leech on the teat of society! If only people studied the Roman Empire...

The mention of podcasts makes me laugh because I thought those died off a decade ago; though much like video tutorials and many other media delivery of things more often than not I end up screaming at the display "Oh for *** sake, anybody just got a transcript?" -- in the same way I go into a book store these days looking for USEFUL books and go through the shelves going "user crap, user crap, user crap, user crap in junior reader print, pamphlet masquerading as a book..." and leaving empty-handed.

Target audience; Apple, computers for people who know nothing about computers -- No, that's not a compliment. Kind of like how the demoscene is 99% Commodore, or that hardware hobbyists were mostly TRS-80 -- though most the latter group have moved to AVR or PIC based Microcontrollers.

But then I've always wondered what's in the Apple Kool-aid given how the fanboys rave about it's "features" -- I've never considered proprietary form factors and form over function design to be a good thing. People say "quality" and I go "WHAT QUALITY?!?" Lands sake crApple hardware of the past decade and a half makes Packard Hell's WORST products look good.

... and I should know, I worked for three years as a Apple Service tech in the G3 era. Of course at that time becoming an Apple tech was simply a matter of mastering their RMA system since you couldn't (and still can't) fix jack **** in the field with their "do everything possible to make the only repair be a complete replacement" design. Kooality with a Kapital K. That they STILL wouldn't know proper cooling if it stripped naked, painted itself noctua manure brown and hopped up on a table to sing "oh look at what a big cooling fan I am" certainly doesn't help. (See the new pro grade cigarette ash can) -- and that's without looking at their history of exaggerated claims on hardware specs, uselessly vague descriptions of hardware sold, and intentionally crippling hardware to even further push their vendor-lock in.

If ANY other company was as completely and utterly sleazeball in their practices they'd have gone under, but because it's Apple even the biggest hoodoo-voodoo bullshit is magically not only acceptable, but now called "quality".

But as the old saying went, "For the first week you own a Mac you'll be amazed by what it can do. For the rest of your life you'll be amazed by what it can't."

But that's probably why Apple has always been for the same type of people who drive Volvo's and get their furniture from Ikea.

Last edited:
I was avoiding this thread to not do the whole "duck season-rabbit season" thing. Everyone has an opinion. However the last posting was so over the top by someone who apparently wanted to rant about how much he hates apple.

The reality was this... Before Apple, computers were either for big business, or for the hobbyiest. The closest "home" computer idea people had was computers would maintain your recipes. Apple pioneered the idea that you could use a cheap TV set and your own cassette player and not flip switches to turn on the machine. They also pioneered the idea it shouldn't look like a metal box. Yes, Processor Technology had some of those ideas, but not all and they were more expensive than apple and also targeted small business. Even Radio Shack/Tandy didn't take the home computer industry seriously, they initially were after the ham radio market type people, hobbyists that shopped in radio shack.

You really can't argue that, heck look at where the "." is on a commodore pet and you understand it was not intended for business or to replace the home typewriter.

And yes Apple's idea about home computing did not take off for years. The disk drive is what made the company. Their disk drive at the time was half the price of everyone else's and enabled businesses and schools to have instant access to programs (including VisiCalc) when time was an issue. Imagine waiting for a cassette load/failed load in a classroom.

The thing that made this attitude change was Steve Jobs and his hippie idea that anyone should be able to use a computer and by the time the C64 came out, he had moved on to the idea of an appliance computer, the Mac.

By the time the C64 and Vic20 came out, commodore hit on a novel twist to the Apple idea of anyone should be able to use a computer, they said anyone should be able to afford a computer. This is what made the numbers for commodore incredible, people didn't have to save for a year to get one.

Now when the C64 came out, it had better graphics and sound than the Apple II, but the Apple II was more expandable and more importantly had 80 columns, it's targets audience had changed. They demanded less game features and more business like features.

Then the Mac and Lisa arrived and the idea of an easy to use appliance computer was there. But it took time to get people to accept that idea. Meanwhile the Amiga arrived and said you could have your cake and eat it too, as it was part Mac and Part C64 in concept. Unfortunately that concept was in the target of a small company called Microsoft who was trying everything they could do to make the IBM PC and compatibles have that same target persona. In the end we know who won that.

Apple today is really not that different than back in the late 70's. Trying to make technology more accessible. Not necessarily having all new ideas, but putting them all together into a single package with the same target persona for the product, everyone, not the tech or the hobbyist. Which means you treat their products like appliances not computers.

There I'm done. Flames begin.

Cheers,
Corey

However the last posting was so over the top by someone who apparently wanted to rant about how much he hates apple.
I wouldn't say I hate Apple, at least not classic Apple. Love playing with my IIe Platinum... I do kind-of hate what they became; a media darling that's managed complete revisionist history of their products... that people turn a blind eye too because "Ooh, this the big shiny Apple".

The reality was this... Before Apple, computers were either for big business, or for the hobbyist.
... and Apple did WHAT exactly to address that? Sure as shine-ola wasn't their price or availability.

The closest "home" computer idea people had was computers would maintain your recipes. Apple pioneered the idea that you could use a cheap TV set and your own cassette player and not flip switches to turn on the machine.
Which of course is why a 4k model with Integer basic, the CHEAPEST one they offerred was TWICE the cost of a 4K Level 1 TRS-80... which INCLUDED it's own display. They REALLY could have offerred more considering they were asking twice the cost.

They also pioneered the idea it shouldn't look like a metal box.
Not sure what you even mean by that, since the Model 1 wasn't the "cheap metal enclosure" either -- it was the same "let's use cheap plastic" as the Apple. (though at least Woz REFUSED to compromise on using a metal baseplate)

Though your argument kinda falls apart given what they released in '84... an all in one box with a built in display.

Yes, Processor Technology had some of those ideas, but not all and they were more expensive than apple
ON WHAT PLANET?!? IN WHAT UNIVERSE?!?

The disk drive is what made the company. Their disk drive at the time was half the price of everyone else's
BULL! or at least, bull if you look at the overall cost. Oooh yay they got the price for a drive and controller down to $595 when doing the same on a TRS-80 was $495 just for the drive and you needed the expansion interface... but when a 48k original II with a floppy controller and two drives was $3200 when a similarly equipped model 1 (and we're talking '78 here so that's your two players in the market) was only $2500, whenever people talk about Apple's designs being cheaper my bullshit alarm goes off full blast. The only thing I can figure is the people making these claims are akin to those who claim to remember the 1960's.

Old joke -- If you remember the 1960's, you weren't there!

The thing that made this attitude change was Steve Jobs and his hippie idea that anyone should be able to use a computer and by the time the C64 came out, he had moved on to the idea of an appliance computer, the Mac.
Which also comparitively speaking sold so few until they duped educators into thinking they were of value, it's a miracle they showed a profit; but I guess if you price gouge every sale you can get profit regardless of how few you actually sell.

Something Jobbo the clown proved very well at NeXT.

Now when the C64 came out, it had better graphics and sound than the Apple II, but the Apple II was more expandable and more importantly had 80 columns, it's targets audience had changed. They demanded less game features and more business like features.
By which time something else came out that made the Apple II ridiculously overpriced and laughed at by business... the PC.

Which of course is why the 5150 in it's first year matched the II's sales from 1977 to 1982.

Apple's outdated architecture and no significant improvements for close to a decade made the II a joke by 1981 -- and if they hadn't actively campaigned to prey on the ignorance of the average educator it wouldn't have been surprising if they'd gone the way of Osbourne. I'll given them big props for embedding themselves as the go-to in education. It may have been sleazy nube predation and prepared entire generations to be completely full of manure when they got into the business world where nobody gave a *** about Apple, but it propped up their company with sales. Of course, it's easy to "slash prices" and "make deals" for education when you start out at a 200% margin...

Then the Mac and Lisa arrived and the idea of an easy to use appliance computer was there. But it took time to get people to accept that idea.
Well. Time and sub-thousand dollar PC clones that could do the same job... Since that ridiculous $2000 to $2500 price put it out of reach for most of it's intended audience.

Meanwhile the Amiga arrived and said you could have your cake and eat it too, as it was part Mac and Part C64 in concept.
Assuming you could find someplace to BUY ONE. That's the problem Apple had too in the '80's is where the **** could you go to buy one? The II, the Mac, and the Amiga were nowhere to be found anyplace I knew of at retail; and at the time you weren't going to plunk down a grand or more on a mail order computer when you could go to the 'shack and get a T1K.

At least the C64 you could buy at Child World or Toys R. Us. (I actually remember the drive to the ONLY Toys R' Us near us some 60 miles away to get my VIC-20 back in '80)

Apple today is really not that different than back in the late 70's. Trying to make technology more accessible.
... and there's another word that Apple folks throw around that much like "quality" I have to go "WHAT ACCESSIBILITY?!?" -- though as someone who has studied a lot of usability and accessible design for both hardware (handheld scanners for warehouses) and websites, I've been seeing the "new generation of idiocy" industry wide on that front.

Though really ALL the companies have been guilty of "accessibility, what's that" since ~2003-ish when all the research studies of the '90's were thrown in the trash and they started hiring Photoshop jockeys who know **** about **** to spank it on the screen then have the giant set of brass to call themselves "designers".

Just look at the preponderance of things like "false simplicity" and "ambiguous interfaces" that are creeping into damned near everything -- like the train wreck known as Windows 8. (that's so bad they're talking free Win9 "upgrade" for all 8 owners)

Basically, don't let my ranting about Apple make you think I've singled them out for special treatment; I could do just as big a rant about TRS-80, Atari, IBM, Sinclair... They all sucked, just in different ways. You should hear me go on about Linux as a Desktop OS some time!

The only major problems I have with Apple is their ridiculously absurd price gouging, complete revisionist history on their importance and influence mated to the nonsensical fiction people claim about the products.

Like the whole drives were cheaper thing... had better be cheaper when the base computer was twice the cost OR MORE...

Back