• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Win XP x64 Hard Drive Limit?

One of the issues with XP 64-bit was it could be problematic running some 32-bit programs which required a 16-bit component. Most 32-bit games of that era ran just fine.
That is not surprising and a strewman...

Can you please provide the name of three 32-bit programs that do this other than it's installation routine?

That is not surprising and a strewman...

Can you please provide the name of three 32-bit programs that do this other than it's installation routine?

Well if you consider expansion packs, Yoot Tower.

Incredibly poorly programmed game, the main game uses WIN32, but many of the expansion packs used WIN16 code.

Well if you consider expansion packs, Yoot Tower.

Incredibly poorly programmed game, the main game uses WIN32, but many of the expansion packs used WIN16 code.
Thank you for that info. I still would like AO to respond to my quary though to three p32-bit programs that run 16-bit code in them other than the installation routine. I'm interested in the original prograns and not later add ons. I've never been a Windows gamer so not really interested in those in any way. ;)

Windows Help (*.hlp files) did not function on 64-bit Windows. That was probably the largest source of problems for Win95 era 32-bit programs moving to 64-bit Windows. CHM wasn't available to late 97. I suspect there were more than 3 32-bit programs that shipped with HLP files.

32-bit drivers could not function under 64-bit Windows which impacted Wordperfect since Wordperfect included its own printer drivers.

About twenty years ago, there were lists of all the program versions that could not run on Windows XP Pro 64-bit but I can't find them on searches now. Some of the minor bugs like failing to handle the wrong Program Files directory were quickly fixed.

Maybe they should have used Corel Linux instead then.....

As usual a thread has been trown waaaaay off topic by a certian member who is making a broard claim with out backing it up with evidence.
CorelL.jpg

Last edited:
There are a few different internet issues but they basically come down to certain sites hanging and getting messages, usually through Youtube, that I am offline (which I am not). I have to constantly hit the "stop loading" and reload buttons to get some websites to finally display. Another issues is the frequent inability to download drivers even from sites like Dell. All this is done under Win 7 with SP1.

Yahoo is the biggest offender in terms of hanging and/or not responding. Even when the Yahoo home page appears many times not all the pictures fill in. If I try to sign into my mail, I may get to the user ID page or not. If I get past that, maybe I get the password page. If I get past that maybe I get to see my inbox. Then I may or may not be able to select and see my mail. I also get alternate home pages where there is nothing but text.

None of this happens with my older machine using the same router and cable, although I stay mostly on Win XP unless I hit a site that only works with Win 7. And the Win 7 side of my old machine works fine except for the slow speed.

This is a Dell Inspiron 620 and I needed to download the drivers for Win 7 off the Dell website (there are no Win XP drivers and I had to search around for those). Could it be either a bad ethernet controller on the motherboard or a bad driver? Maybe I will follow up or possibly use another motherboard given to me to put together another machine for internet access.

Then this Dell could be used for games.

Thanks...Joe

Hmm.. I'm wondering if you have a duplicate IP address or computer name in your local network.. although I'm sure you would have looked at that..
Check subnet mask and gateway addresses are correct.

There are a few different internet issues but they basically come down to certain sites hanging and getting messages, usually through Youtube, that I am offline (which I am not). I have to constantly hit the "stop loading" and reload buttons to get some websites to finally display. Another issues is the frequent inability to download drivers even from sites like Dell. All this is done under Win 7 with SP1.

Yahoo is the biggest offender in terms of hanging and/or not responding. Even when the Yahoo home page appears many times not all the pictures fill in. If I try to sign into my mail, I may get to the user ID page or not. If I get past that, maybe I get the password page. If I get past that maybe I get to see my inbox. Then I may or may not be able to select and see my mail. I also get alternate home pages where there is nothing but text.

None of this happens with my older machine using the same router and cable, although I stay mostly on Win XP unless I hit a site that only works with Win 7. And the Win 7 side of my old machine works fine except for the slow speed.

This is a Dell Inspiron 620 and I needed to download the drivers for Win 7 off the Dell website (there are no Win XP drivers and I had to search around for those). Could it be either a bad ethernet controller on the motherboard or a bad driver? Maybe I will follow up or possibly use another motherboard given to me to put together another machine for internet access.

Thanks...Joe
Joe,

Just a thought but check and see if you have "Hardware Accelerator" turned off.

Tom

With networking, always try with the easiest solution first. I would swap out the ethernet cable just to rule it out, then check IP's and make sure there isnt a collision.

One might also install an adblocker. The Yahoo home page I just looked at makes 264 calls to various sites. If any of those is overloaded, loading the page may stall out.

Thanks guys for the help. I have to first state that I am a complete novice when it comes to networking. I have always hoped that after I load drivers the connection to the internet just happens. Up to now it has.

The old machine has no wireless ability whereas the the Dell does, although I do not use it. I guess I can try to disable the wireless device and see if it makes a difference.

Let me try to eliminate some things as suggested above.

I should be able to rule out the cable since I am using the same physical cable on whichever machine is hooked up.

This is a stand alone machine. No other computers or anything else on the network. Only when my sister visits with her tablet is there another device and her device never has an issue even if I am struggling at the same time.

I'm not sure where "hardware acceleration' is turned on or off but I will check that via a PM.

As I stated above, I am basicaly a novice at networking so I don't know how to check subnet masks, gateway addresses or duplicates IP adresses (although with only one device I doubt I can have duplicates).

One of the common symptoms is a site hanging waiting for something and then it just stops looking. Usually this requires me to hit reload just so I can try again. Or in the case of Paypal, the system just waits while the little spinning circle just continues...I eventually end up having to go back one page. When the Paypal issue arose yesterday I disconnected the Dell, reconnected the old machine, booted into Win 7 and was able to do Paypal without a problem.

One site that worked perfectly with the Dell was this site. Never an issue.

Thanks...Joe

It definitely sounds like the issue is just with that machine. If I have it right, your machine has Windows 7 and XP installed as a dual boot. Did you enable networking on the XP side? If so, does it work any better? It would be a good way to isolate if it's a hardware or software problem. I have a whole bunch of internet-enabled XP machines, and none of them has ever caught a disease, so I don't think a few minutes of experimentation will hurt.

By the way, I hooked the Dell back up and I am writing this from the Dell. No issues with access to this site but access to Yahoo is not working fully, and sometimes not at all.

I did not set up the XP side on the Dell to access the internet although I can do that either later today or tomorrow and report back. Since I needed to search around to get drivers for XP I'm hoping they will work.

Two interesting notes.
First, disabling the wireless device did nothing.
Second, as I was looking at the network on both machines to see if they showed the same devices, the working machine (eMachine) does not have a Homegroup while the Dell (not working) does have a Homegroup. Therefore the network display on the eMachine is incomplete as it only shows the router (both machines show two devices for the router). When I tried to create a Homegroup on the eMachine it will not let me but does not tell me why. This is odd considering Microsoft says Win 7 automatically creates a Homegroup.

Joe

Thanks...Joe

This sounds more like a web browser issue than a driver issue. If certain sites are hanging or not loading properly, it sounds like there are scripts on the site that are choking up the web browser. Since you're running XP, you're probably either using an old version of Chrome or Firefox, or one of the tiny number of 3rd party browsers that have modern XP builds.

Sites with heavy scripting will cause these older browsers to slow down or freeze a lot, which is where you need an ad blocker AND a script blocker. Ad blocker to block ads and malware, and a script blocker to only allow scripts that are actually needed to render the page and block all of the 3rd party garbage and trackers that waste memory and CPU time. I'd recommend uBlock Origin and NoScript (FF) or ScriptSafe (Chrome). the script blockers take a bit of getting used to, but once you get all of the scripts on websites you use on a normal basis whitelisted properly, it's usually pretty maintenance free. If you come across sites that have hundreds or thousands of scripts that constantly change, you should just avoid going there, because they're trying to get around blockers.

No, he's using the internet only on the Windows 7 side - the XP side hasn't got network drivers installed yet.

As for homegroups, you don't need them either - it was only a temporary thing from Microsoft and it was soon abandoned. I removed the last homegroup from my Windows 7 collection just last week, and everything continued to work just fine.

I have 76 network-enabled hard drives shared among about 50 actual computers, covering the range from Windows for Workgroups through to Windows 10. It's a fascinating subject, seeing what can talk to what, and what the internet capabilities of each are.

I find networking differently configured systems fascinating as well. Still got plenty of pages in my larger IT reference ring binder I collect when I first started learning about networking a couple of decades ago. The first time I heard about IP v6 was on a Red Hat Linux sytsem I put together from preloved parts:)

As mentioned above, I am not using the XP side to access the internet on the Dell.

I have two machines set up for the internet. The old computer is an eMachine running Win XP x64 and Win 7 X64. The replacement (newer) machine is a Dell running the same two OSs. I can access the internet from both OS on the eMachine but I have only accessed the internet on the Dell from Win 7. Both machines use Firefox as the browser.

My plan was to replace the older machine with the newer machine and only use Win 7 for internet access. Today I found something very interesting and perhaps a key to what is going on.

I booted the eMachine into Win 7 and tried to access Yahoo. After entering my user ID I got a page which basically said "unable to access, try again in one hour". I repeated the attempt two more times and got the same message. I then went and checked out a video on Youtube, returning to try Yahoo again. This time I got the same message only it said to try again in 47 minutes (the video was about 13 minutes long).

I quickly rebooted into Win XP and attempted to access Yahoo. This time no problem getting in.

So what is going on? The same machine can get to Yahoo from the Win XP side but not from the Win 7 side. Of course, the Firefox browser on XP is old while the Firefox browser on Win 7 is up to date.

A logical conclusion would be the problem exists with Firefox under Win 7. I'm going to see if I can download another browser and give that a try under Win 7. Hopefully I can do that running Win 7 on either machine as I know the Dell seems to stop me from downloading a lot of stuff.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...Joe

When I went to Yahoo's website to check the page source, the load stopped partway through and I had to refresh the page to complete the loading. That was with a machine using Windows 10 and recently updated browsers. Some of the problem will be with Yahoo's design which produces a web page that only reliably works for those on Yahoo's campus.

You might try the lighter weight mobile website which makes only 87 calls to other websites instead of the 264 of the standard website. Not loading all the video ads and bonus javascript routines could provide a better experience.

When I went to Yahoo's website to check the page source, the load stopped partway through and I had to refresh the page to complete the loading. That was with a machine using Windows 10 and recently updated browsers. Some of the problem will be with Yahoo's design which produces a web page that only reliably works for those on Yahoo's campus.

You might try the lighter weight mobile website which makes only 87 calls to other websites instead of the 264 of the standard website. Not loading all the video ads and bonus javascript routines could provide a better experience.
I don't normally use Yahoo and really don't care for it, but my wife does. I just loaded Yahoo on this laptop, with W11, and it did load okay. One of the problems with Yahoo, and they may have fixed it, was you couldn't receive an email from Gmail.

I also have no use for Yahoo and normally never visit them.

However for the purposes of this exercise I went there to see what happens. Running Firefox 112.0.2 on a 12-year-old HP 6000 with Windows 7 (latest updates including ESR).

Firstly it redirected to au.yahoo.com, then the page loaded instantly. uBlock Origin then proceeded to block over 200 elements - whatever they might have been.

I can't recommend highly enough to get uBlock Origin in all your browsers - it stops so much utter crap getting in your face. The current version doesn't support XP but you might be able to find an old one - all my XP machines have it installed to Firefox (52.9.0 esr).

Back