• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Win XP x64 Hard Drive Limit?

I did a couple things yesterday on the Dell. First I installed the uBlock extension onto Firefox leaving all the defaults in place. I then downloaded and installed Chrome, once again adding uBlock to this browser as well. I left all the uBlock defaults in place since my knowledge of all this network stuff is pretty light. One of the options for uBlock is to display the number of blocks on the icon. I do not see the uBlock icon so I cannot see if anything is being blocked.

After installing Chrome I was zipping around the internet pretty good. Maybe the problem was in Firefox. Then I started getting "you are offline" messages while in YouTube. So I used the FIOS speed test to make sure I was connected and check out the speed. Over 900 from my router to Verizon and over 600 from my device to the router. No problem here, so why does it think I am offline?

Then a few minutes ago I started the Dell and tried to get to Yahoo via Chrome. Again I got the message "Unable to process your request at this time, try again in one hour". I then started Firefox and tried to get into Yahoo...and I got the same message, only this time it said to try again in 57 minutes.

This is truly bizarre and I do not understand at all what is going on. Why does Yahoo seem to always want me to wait one hour when I access it via Win 7?

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening with Yahoo under Win 7 on both machines? Now it is happening with two different browsers. The number of minutes does keep going down and I don't think it's because the site is down since I can probably get there from the Win XP side on the old eMachine. It's almost as if I am given just so many times to use a site before it starts hanging or telling me it's unavailable or I am offiline.

Joe

Last edited:
Try changing the ID string in your browser Joe you can to say it is not an XP box contacting their sites.

You can also try there sight trough the Tor network to see what happens.

Things I would try:

1. Make sure you computer clock is correct and internet time sync is enabled (necessary for https)
2. Use OpenDNS instead of your ISP's DNS (setup in your router)
3. Use a different router. I had a router that randomly crashed whenever Windows 10 was connected. Crappy firmware I guess.

Just an update...after the hour was up (I was online the entire hour-plus), Yahoo worked just fine and fast using either browser. I changed nothing, I just went on Youtube for more than an hour. Makes no sense.

Meanwhile I will look into your other suggestions. Here's a wild thought...could my ISP actually be blocking Yahoo for an hour?

If the ISP was delaying access to Yahoo, Yahoo would not display a message telling anyone to wait. The message frequently occurs if there were logins with the wrong password. A web browser might be trying to use an older password or someone else might have been trying to break in. Yahoo does not seem to show history of login attempts which makes it difficult to see what problems are happening.

I do not see the uBlock icon so I cannot see if anything is being blocked.

Joe
In Firefox, there's an icon at top right that looks like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle. Click on that, then you can have ublock icon show. The other browsers (Edge, Chrome) work in a similar way.

Joe I got the Yahoo.com site home page in about 3 seconds on my P4 3.2Ghz day to day desktop system with Linux Mint Debian Edition version 5. using Firefox-ESR. Give Linux Mint Cinnamin live DVDs a shot, either 32-bit or 64-bit. It will load in to ram and not affect any hardware on your system.
No harm in trying it out. And I am absolutely positive you will not have any problems getting around the Cinnamin desktop ;)IMG_20230502_173201.jpg

I'm presently installing 32-bit Debian 11 a mid 2000s ACER laptop I I won on a $1 that has 256meg of ram and have updated the ram to 2gig it's maximum amount. Once the installation is finished I'll see if Firefox-ESR that comes with it and atempt to access the Yahoo home page with that in about half an hour or so Joe.IMG_20230502_201948.jpg

Last edited:
It took a wee bit longer but the Yahoo.com came up not problems at all on this P4 laptop.

If NoBody believes me I have two more laptops, both aquired from a different $1 here in town upgrade to 2gigs as well, of the same era to post their results using Linux which will exactly the same....IMG_20230502_215201.jpgIMG_20230502_215208.jpg

Last edited:
Let me first clarify I get the "wait one hour" or "wait xx minutes" message out of Yahoo (or my ISP?) not when trying to bring up the home page but after I enter my user ID trying to get to Yahoo mail.

Interesting comment on seeing that message because it may be the wrong password was used. I save no passwords so there are no old passwords on the machine. Besides, if this were the case why can I always go back to the old machine and use Firefox under Win XP and get right in?

On my first attempt today to get online (around 3pm) the Yahoo home page came up fairly well (there was one picture missing). When I attempted to sign into Yahoo mail my first click on the "next" button was ignored. I hit the reload and the message "unable to access" flashed on the screen before I was brought back to the signon screen. I again entered my user ID and everything work fine.

Joe

Weird behavior alright and should not be happening at all........

Our ISP provider switch its email service for few years. Why I don't know. Some customers were having issues so they switched back to an in house email service which we've never had in issue with. We never personally had any issue logging into Yahoo to check our email though. Spam was the main problem though. Our ISP provider switched it's email service back to an inhouse solution again.

If it were me Joe I'd still give a live Linux a shot all the same.;)

Last edited:
Years ago I had a yahoo email account, which was rarely used. One day I found the account had been suspended or something, so I never went back. Since then I don't use Yahoo for anything - I avoid them. Maybe it's time to move your email somewhere else.

Thanks for providing me with the location of the ublock icon. Now I can see how many things get blocked. The next step will be to understand all the options...there are a ton.

Yeah I have to consider moving my e-mail to another provider. But what a nightmare that would be as I'd have to figure out all the places I have it stored and those who contact me via e-mail. Plus I used a couple different Ids so the problem is multiplied.

Let me see how the system works over the next few days.

Thanks...Joe

Hey, I am willing to try anything at this point.

Here's the latest. This afternoon I used the machine for a couple hours under Chrome with no hiccups at all. Then around 9pm I started the machine again and used Chrome to try to sign into my Yahoo e-mail. Once again I had to hit the reload a time or two before the "next" button did anything. Once I got past the ID sign-on (no password screen yet) I got the same message as yesterday...wait one hour and try again. I waited a few minutes and tried again and this time it told me to wait 57 minutes.

So I shut the machine completely down and restarted. I then used Firefox to get to my Yahoo mail and it worked, although I needed to reload a time or two. So I got out of Firefox and tried Chrome. Again I was asked to wait for 51 minutes this time. Going back to Firefox (without shutting down) allowed me to get back into my e-mail.

It seems the counter for how long I have to wait must be kept within Yahoo, associated with my ID, as it continues to run even through a reboot of my machine. And if that is true, why would another browser be able to get in using the same ID?

What could possibly cause one browser to say the website is unavailable and do a countdown while the other browser allows me to get in?

Also I could use a little help with uBlock. Are there options I should be turning on because I only see a couple blocks listed as I try to get to Yahoo. Based on earlier comments, I was expecting to see over 200.

Thanks...Joe

The only change from the default uBlock settings that I've made is to do this:
- click on the ublock red shield
- click on the gears icon at bottom right
- click on Filter Lists
- scroll down till you find "Annoyances (0/7)" and open it
- tick on the first one "AdGuard Annoyances".
- scroll back up and click "Apply Changes"
- while you're there, if Update Now is blue, click on it, wait a few moments.
- that's it, close the tab.

I don't know if that will make a difference though. To get the 200 blocks, I scrolled the Yahoo page up and down a few times - this causes more blocks to happen.

The above change also gets rid of those really annoying popups on the Google search page exhorting you to switch to Chrome (even though it's unsupported) or to log into Google or save your passwords securely, blah blah. Personally I think that saving all your passwords with Google is like feeding puppies to the lion.

Joe if you are going to use Thunderbird make sure it is set to not to remove your email from Yahoos email service. IIRC that is its default setting.

The only change from the default uBlock settings that I've made is to do this:
- click on the ublock red shield
- click on the gears icon at bottom right
- click on Filter Lists
- scroll down till you find "Annoyances (0/7)" and open it
- tick on the first one "AdGuard Annoyances".
- scroll back up and click "Apply Changes"
- while you're there, if Update Now is blue, click on it, wait a few moments.
- that's it, close the tab.

I don't know if that will make a difference though. To get the 200 blocks, I scrolled the Yahoo page up and down a few times - this causes more blocks to happen.

The above change also gets rid of those really annoying popups on the Google search page exhorting you to switch to Chrome (even though it's unsupported) or to log into Google or save your passwords securely, blah blah. Personally I think that saving all your passwords with Google is like feeding puppies to the lion.
Thanks guys.

Is there any chance this has to do with network settings? As I said previously my knowledge of networking is quite minimal.

Still the greatest mystery to me is how one browser can tell me to wait an hour while the other browser lets me get in right away...while the first browser actually does make me wait for an hour. It also appears (and I have to double check this) that I do not get the same series of screens when using the two different browsers.

The waiting does seem to be Yahoo saying I did something to cause it to temporarily suspend my ID but if that is true why can I just swap browsers and get in? Could this in any way be related to my ISP and the path(s) it is taking to get to Yahoo? Especially considering the different series of screens?

Thanks...Joe

Back