• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Win XP x64 Hard Drive Limit?

Thanks guys.

Is there any chance this has to do with network settings? As I said previously my knowledge of networking is quite minimal.

Still the greatest mystery to me is how one browser can tell me to wait an hour while the other browser lets me get in right away...while the first browser actually does make me wait for an hour. It also appears (and I have to double check this) that I do not get the same series of screens when using the two different browsers.

The waiting does seem to be Yahoo saying I did something to cause it to temporarily suspend my ID but if that is true why can I just swap browsers and get in? Could this in any way be related to my ISP and the path(s) it is taking to get to Yahoo? Especially considering the different series of screens?

Thanks...Joe
Just install another web browser and give it a shot. No harlm will be done to your system.

Is there any chance this has to do with network settings? As I said previously my knowledge of networking is quite minimal.

Check your DNS settings. DNS servers are used to resolve domain names to IP addresses. Some DNS servers are garbage and cause weird issues like you're having, especially ones run by ISPs. The DNS can be set system wide and also in individual applications.

If you go into your network connection properties, it should show you your IP address and DNS server. I'd recommend changing it to 1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8. The former is CloudFlare's public DNS, and the latter is Google's public DNS.

I'd also recommend going into the browser network settings and make sure a custom DNS isn't assigned there. Newer versions Firefox have started pushing their own DNS and VPN services.

In Firefox there's a setting to limit your browsing to secured sites only. I turn this off (obviously).
I don't know if it has any effect on your situation, but you can get there from the settings, Privacy and Security, scroll to the bottom,
make sure Don’t enable HTTPS-Only Mode is selected.

The possible reason for the page being different between browsers is that each browser has an agent string that the site can query. From that, the site knows the capabilities of the browser, and can present the page in a different format so that it will (should) display correctly.

You can see for yourself by visiting the Google search page with various browsers, especially old ones. For example, if you use IE11, all the links and so on at the bottom are missing, and you can't adjust the search settings. One of the really old browsers has the I'm Feeling Lucky button under (not beside) the Google Search button. In fact, it's only possible to adjust the search settings on the latest browsers. On older ones either the slide-controls are missing, or there's no settings link, or the page returns a "can't be found" error.

As for DNS, I gave up on my ISP's DNS 15 years ago, as I was randomly being directed to the wrong server or wrong site, so I've used google's DNS ever since, with Cloudflare's as a secondary. There's no need to change it in your modem/router thingy, just do it in the PC. If you don't know how you can google it for pretty pictures, or follow this:

Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center, then click Change Adapter Settings.
Right-click on your network adapter, choose Properties.
Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). This opens a new applet.
You probably have Obtain DNS server address automatically selected, click on Use the following DNS server addresses, then enter the Preferred and Alternate addresses (for example 8.8.4.4 as Preferred, 1.1.1.1 as Alternate). Click OK.
You might find that Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) is also enabled - turn this off. Any decent router will do the conversion for you. Also it is said that use of a IPv6 address makes it easier to track you down. It also saves you having to set up new DNS addresses for that too.
After that's all done, just click OK and so on to save all your settings.

Most versions of windows have a similar or same applet. XP was the first version to support IPv6 (but as you can see, you don't need it).

Check your DNS settings. DNS servers are used to resolve domain names to IP addresses. Some DNS servers are garbage and cause weird issues like you're having, especially ones run by ISPs. The DNS can be set system wide and also in individual applications.

If you go into your network connection properties, it should show you your IP address and DNS server. I'd recommend changing it to 1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8. The former is CloudFlare's public DNS, and the latter is Google's public DNS.

I'd also recommend going into the browser network settings and make sure a custom DNS isn't assigned there. Newer versions Firefox have started pushing their own DNS and VPN services.
It's only a selection option in the settings section and not on by default at all. It doesn't force you to use them at all....

Last edited:
It's only a selection option in the settings section and not on by default at all. It doesn't force you to use them at all....

Some recent FF releases have had windows pop up asking if you want to change your DNS and/or advertising Mozilla's VPN service. If you aren't paying attention and just start clicking on stuff to make it go away, the DNS can get enabled. The VPN isn't free, but it has a free 30 day trial that can get enabled.

Irritatingly, FF has these popups show on both a new install AND when doing in-place upgrades. Maybe they're counting on the average user getting dialog box fatigue to enable some of those options.

Well I'm using the LATEST version on this system an I'm definitely getting absolutely no pop ups what so ever.. Never had any in the over 15 plus years of using Firefox-ESR....

It could be just an MS Windows thing which I haven't used for 18 years now.

NoBody will believe me ah?

My Dad told me to use the right tool for the job when I was a kid. At 63 years old I'm still adhering to that advise.;)

Last edited:
Well I'm using the LATEST version on this system an I'm definitely getting absolutely no pop ups what so ever.. Never had any In the over 15 plus years of using Firefox....

It could be just an MS Windows thing which I haven't used for 18 years now.

NoBody will believe me ah?
There y

firefox-doh-optin.jpg

The first article is a good read.

I wont bother. I go by my own experience. As I stated above I've never experienced this using Linux as my Desktop Operating System..

NoBody and ClueLess might be interested though ;)

Good on you for providing a link though to provide evidence on what you posted earler :). We don't see that much.

Last edited:
Never seen that popup. Mozilla explains it here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Trusted_Recursive_Resolver
That first link urges you to set it to 5, but 0 (which mine is at) is just as good.

Seems that thing has only been for American citizens so far.
That may explain why someone a year or so ago from the US was bemoaning the the death if our vintage computer hobby. "The End Is Nye!!" he posted yet the rest of us on planet were seeing the oppersite....

In my humble opinion the vcfed.org (and the old VCF forums) forums are the biggest and best forums since the Big Bang! So be careful what you post in them ;) We will and do call out BS posted in threads. And we should so those new to our hobby or unfamiliar, like Joe in this thread, do not get feed false information. There is a shit load of it on the internet already without adding to it. Those posts are seen by you Peers, like my self, all over this planet. Of course the Off Topic forum is the only exception....

Last edited:
In Firefox there's a setting to limit your browsing to secured sites only. I turn this off (obviously).
I don't know if it has any effect on your situation, but you can get there from the settings, Privacy and Security, scroll to the bottom,
make sure Don’t enable HTTPS-Only Mode is selected.

The possible reason for the page being different between browsers is that each browser has an agent string that the site can query. From that, the site knows the capabilities of the browser, and can present the page in a different format so that it will (should) display correctly.

You can see for yourself by visiting the Google search page with various browsers, especially old ones. For example, if you use IE11, all the links and so on at the bottom are missing, and you can't adjust the search settings. One of the really old browsers has the I'm Feeling Lucky button under (not beside) the Google Search button. In fact, it's only possible to adjust the search settings on the latest browsers. On older ones either the slide-controls are missing, or there's no settings link, or the page returns a "can't be found" error.

As for DNS, I gave up on my ISP's DNS 15 years ago, as I was randomly being directed to the wrong server or wrong site, so I've used google's DNS ever since, with Cloudflare's as a secondary. There's no need to change it in your modem/router thingy, just do it in the PC. If you don't know how you can google it for pretty pictures, or follow this:

Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center, then click Change Adapter Settings.
Right-click on your network adapter, choose Properties.
Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). This opens a new applet.
You probably have Obtain DNS server address automatically selected, click on Use the following DNS server addresses, then enter the Preferred and Alternate addresses (for example 8.8.4.4 as Preferred, 1.1.1.1 as Alternate). Click OK.
You might find that Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) is also enabled - turn this off. Any decent router will do the conversion for you. Also it is said that use of a IPv6 address makes it easier to track you down. It also saves you having to set up new DNS addresses for that too.
After that's all done, just click OK and so on to save all your settings.

Most versions of windows have a similar or same applet. XP was the first version to support IPv6 (but as you can see, you don't need it).
I just got around to doing the above steps tonight so I will have to see how they work over the next day or so. When I got to the page where I could enter the DSN addresses, I put in the two numbers above and then hit OK. A popup came up saying I needed to supply an IP address. I changed the IP address setting to "automatic" and was able to implement the changes.

Was setting the IP address to automatic the right choice?

As to the performance over the last day it has been uneven. Sometimes things work, sometimes I have to hit reload several times and sometimes I have to swap browsers because one just stops responding on sites like Yahoo.

Thanks...Joe

Automatic IP address (the 3 input boxes above the DNS addresses) are fine - it just means the computer will ask a DHCP server (your router/modem) for an unused valid address, for your local network (everything on this side of the router). I tend to micromanage the allocation of local addresses, but 99.9% of people let the router handle it. You have to careful if you have other DHCP-capable devices on your network (such as NAS's, switches, etc) and make sure only one is actively serving addresses, but you've already said you have nothing else there.

Since you can still surf the net, it means you must have done it correctly.

You can go to a cmd prompt and type in ipconfig - this will show your local IP and DNS addresses.

Hi Guys,
After making the changes provided to me in earlier posts, it looks like the internet is running far better than I have ever experienced before. I would say the two key changes were the installation of uBlock Origin and changing the DSN addresses. Hopefully I will remember these next time I upgrade my internet machine.

If I could ask another question on a different topic. I am trying to install a Brother MDC-3360C printer on the XP x64 side of the machine. I have the original installation disk (which should work with WinXP x64) and have also downloaded the latest driver/software off the Brother site. I have installed this on previous Win XP x32 systems as well as my recently replaced Win XP x64 system. However now the installation is failing to install the hardware. The one message I can see clearly is "RPC server is unavailable". I have started both RPC services and yet the problem persists. In addition, since the hardware installation fails I try ti uninstall the software but I get a jumbled error message.

How do I make the RPC server available in Win XP x64?

Thanks...Joe

Excellent that you seem to have fixed your problems.

One of my XP machines also has RPC troubles but I've never found a solution. In my case if I try to access Disk Management it pops up a RPC error.

I can't see anything wrong with RPC, and I suspect that the problem is caused by something else.

Just like 2 other XP machines, Media Player 11 and 9 won't run and IE8 is all blank in the About box. I have no idea what is causing it.

Sorry I can't help you with that.

Hi Guys,
After making the changes provided to me in earlier posts, it looks like the internet is running far better than I have ever experienced before. I would say the two key changes were the installation of uBlock Origin and changing the DSN addresses. Hopefully I will remember these next time I upgrade my internet machine.

If I could ask another question on a different topic. I am trying to install a Brother MDC-3360C printer on the XP x64 side of the machine. I have the original installation disk (which should work with WinXP x64) and have also downloaded the latest driver/software off the Brother site. I have installed this on previous Win XP x32 systems as well as my recently replaced Win XP x64 system. However now the installation is failing to install the hardware. The one message I can see clearly is "RPC server is unavailable". I have started both RPC services and yet the problem persists. In addition, since the hardware installation fails I try ti uninstall the software but I get a jumbled error message.

How do I make the RPC server available in Win XP x64?

Thanks...Joe
Joe,

Check this thread out if you haven't already.

Tom

Back