• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Win XP x64 Hard Drive Limit?

Wow...I wish I understood even a small percentage of that article. Who actually knows all this stuff? I seem to have gotten around the problem. In looking at the article a couple simple things I could try stood out.

Remember I am working on the Win XP x64 side of the machine. Here are the steps I took. I first disconnected the network cable to the router and disabled the wireless adapter, thereby insuring there was no way to get to the internet once I made the service changes. I then disabled the Firewall service and enabled the Remote Registry service (which has to be the most dangerous service to enable if connected online). I then ran the software installation for the printer asking to repair an existing installation. There was a quick flash of a popup which I could not see but then everything installed. A reboot of the system and all was working. I then went in and disabled Remote Registry, enabled the wireless controller and plugged the cable back into the machine.

Was it the disabling of the Firewall? The enabling of the Remote Registry? Who knows.

Joe

Something with the name Remote Procedural Call or some such would definitely be difficult to rap ones grey matter around.;) There is tons of shit out there in WWWLand about it. I'd imagine the majorey of normal folk would just give up and through the system at they IT tech and tell them to sort it out.

Well done Joe.

Soon you will be mamaging a server farm just like ClueLess does;)

It has always been my belief that computers should never be kept near an open window....the temptation is just too great!

Now if I can only find a driver for the only device under Win XP I have been unable to locate. If anyone knows where I can find a "6 series /c200 MEI controller #1" let me know. It shows as a PCI Communications Device under Device Manager.

Thanks...Joe

It has always been my belief that computers should never be kept near an open window....the temptation is just too great!

Now if I can only find a driver for the only device under Win XP I have been unable to locate. If anyone knows where I can find a "6 series /c200 MEI controller #1" let me know. It shows as a PCI Communications Device under Device Manager.

Thanks...Joe

That's most likely the Intel Management Engine, you don't need to install a driver for it.

Thanks...Joe
Joe,
I have a Brother printer also and if you go to their site, they have drivers and fixes for most all of their equipment.

Tom

Afaict it's safe to disable the Remote Registry service at home. You did the right thing with the installing of that printer driver.

At work the Remote Registry is needed so that the I.T. guys can service certain aspects of your machine without needing to send someone over there. It's also needed if you administer a Microsoft Exchange server.

One more thing...and this question may be out of line for this forum.

Is there a simple way to turn off Win 7 activation once the phone system method no longer allows you to activate? It's not as if Microsoft is going to provide me any more help.

Thanks...Joe

One more thing...and this question may be out of line for this forum.

Is there a simple way to turn off Win 7 activation once the phone system method no longer allows you to activate? It's not as if Microsoft is going to provide me any more help.

Thanks...Joe

Use a Loader that shims an SLIC key into the boot loader.

I have a legitimate, legal product key, I just need to do the activation. An easy way to do this may be to disable the Software Protection service. With this service disabled no updates can be applied. But then again, I think I have all the updates I need.

I have a legitimate, legal product key, I just need to do the activation. An easy way to do this may be to disable the Software Protection service. With this service disabled no updates can be applied. But then again, I think I have all the updates I need.
Joe,
On my W7 gamer I activated a legal copy on-line, no phone calls.

Tom

Yeah online is the way to go. I did that with a Win10 last week. When you register, choose the option to enter a product key, and enter it. After about a minute, it should say it's now validated.

Reboot, then see what windows updates you've got. If you don't have SP1, you'll need to download and install it. After that, there's a few more updates you'll have to do manually to get the current encryption methods, then at last you'll be able to get up to date.

You guys are correct, it let me activate online. I guess the phone system works different as it would not let me activate.

In searching around I found two updates which allow Windows Update to function. Those were KB3020369 and KB3125574. So I've applied a bunch of updates and now need to go back and restore some of the customization which seems to have been backed off by the patches. Also looks like the patches added some services which were not there before.

Thanks...Joe

There's been lots of changes over the years, most good, and a few bad. One of the changes has been to force Edge on you. The latest Edge has those sneaky settings just like Firefox with the DNS thing. You have to go through and turn off heaps of things to be somewhat safe.

Now, here's the latest versions of various Microsoft-supplied software, which you'll get once you have installed every last windows update.

Internet Explorer 11: 11.0.9600.20671
Edge: 109.0.1518.100
Windows Media Player: 12.0.7601.24553

If you used Google Chrome, they stopped supporting Windows 7, the last version is 109.0.5414.120

And lastly, if you find that IE11 forces you to use Edge (more a problem on Windows 10), you can go into the Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced, turn off - Enable third-party browser extensions.

Edge is Google Chromium customized by MS...

I see no sneaky DNS settings in Firefox-ESR running in Linux. That is specifically a US thing.

Other vcfed.org members in this thread from other parts of the planet have already stated they and never had any sill little DNS pop ups in Firefox. Now what does that imply ah?

Uncle Sam just dos not want you kids pulling the curtains back and having a peek out the windows(pun intended)at what your fellow earthly neighbors are doing'

Wake up for goodness sake!

Hang on there is someone knocking on my front door...................

Last edited:
Back