• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

win xp x64 question

286user

I had a quick question about it. I seem to remember reading awhile ago that the win xp pro x64 versions doent require activation? I know the trial does as i have that one laying around. But I was thinking about getting a copy of the x64 one for my collection. Yes i know about the support and so on. The one I was looking into is one labeled june 2006 systems, student media/work at home media. It has a key and everything and is new. Or is it just like the 32 bit versions, all require activation except volume licensing?

thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, only xp 64 bit enterprise didn't require activation. But you could always scour the web for a diff. product key if need be, just takes a little digging.

I have an original XP x64 Professional copy, and it needs to be activated every time it is installed. The same key can be reactivated without having to call MS forever, it seems, because I'm quite sure it's been installed more than 5 times over the ~10 years I've had it.

finally got around to it, yes i got the disc i mentioned earlier, but I was wrong. Ive seen this before on a copy of office 2003 I purchased at a thrift store long ago. If I remember right, eventhough it stated office 2003 enterprise edition, and had the same disclaimer, it required activation. So now that I recently got this one and installed it, the x64 xp, same thing, it requires activation. I did also happen to get a xp 32 pro disc that was green and has licensing printed on it from fleabay as well, this one does state right at the top volume license key required. So I guess at this point im on the lookout for a vlk edition of xp x64.

Or you could scour the web for a working key, or sometimes if you see thrown out old PC's they still have the product key stickers on them. Hell, our high school has product key stickers on all of their windows 7 x64 machines!

Back