• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Win98se garbage

From what I recall each app/game copied a bunch of files into the Windows directory which overwrote the versions other apps needed, plus uninstalls would remove shared files causing issues.

Yes, SCSI. The problem is mapping out the bad. Looking through much old software utilities to be able to do what was possible 30 years ago ;-0

Kev

Yes its just time that I'm after. Another HD is ready to take it's place once I've found the termination/id for the model.

SpinRite v3 does not handle this drive and v6 will be used as soon as I can get the OS to recognise USB ports.

Kev

2 x IBM DHSS4E 's I believe! And a good pointer re the controller's BIOS access to the drive parameters. Will be reading the Adaptec manual next but it may be that it will wipe/format a drive but not just a particular partition.

Kev

We've got that now. In the late 80's early 90's it would usually be at University level or perhaps Further Education colleges whereby one came across a pc. I remember the front desk (reception) of many companies were adorned with an IBM pc but the the rest of the company were pen and paper. This is a view and experience of just one person (me) about the situation in the UK at the time-span quoted. Windows 3.1 started , in many ways, the user revolution.

Oh, a re-install of Win98se has only made matters worse as the setup wizard decided to put the re-install system into C:\windows instead of my original, and re-requested, placement of c:\W98. I'm really in an os quagmire and can't wait to junk it all when a get a free day or two.

Kev

Back