• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 95 and three-button serial mice

linuxlove

Veteran Member
I have a Dexxa M-M31-9F serial mouse that I'm now using with my old 486. It works well enough, but it's a three-button mouse and Windows treats it kinda odd. This is what the three buttons do when clicked:

Leftmost: (nothing)
Middle: Acts like a standard left and right button combined
Rightmost: Opens up the standard right-click menu

What I'd like to do is have the left button working normally so I can actually use my 486 without the right-click menu showing up all over the place. However, Windows 95 RTM doesn't appear to have any drivers for a three-button serial mouse, so I can't install those and tweak the mouse options.
Can anyone help?

I had a 3 button Logitech mouse that I had used with Win95. Left button produced left clicks; center was ignored; right button produced right clicks. IIRC, Dexxa was just a cheaper subbrand of Logitech so it should work the same way.

So, only two things I can think of are:
1) The mouse has some gunk in the buttons and a careful cleaning might resolve it.
2) Load the Logitech drivers for Win95. I think that any Mouseware version from 6.x to 9.x would carry the correct driver. I don't remember the differences between the various Mouseware releases.

A website claiming to have some versions of this is at http://www.mpoli.fi/files/hardware/MOUSE/LOGITECH/index.html

Last edited:
Back