• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Working ASPI driver for the Rancho RT1000 SCSI controller

digger

Experienced Member
Hello people,

(I'm not sure if drivers are considered on-topic here, even though drivers are technically software.)

I have a Rancho RT1000 (8bit ISA) SCSI controller (with BOOT ROM) installed in an Olivetti M24 (NEC V30 CPU).

A few years ago, I actually managed to download what I believe to be the final drivers for that card somewhere off the internet. I can no longer find any official site that still hosts the drivers today.

The driver package I have includes two ASPI managers, and it is not clearly stated what the difference between the two managers is. (They're not simply different versions of the same driver, they're actually two different types of driver). What I have noticed, is that one of the ASPI drivers will load in config.sys, but apparently is not compatible with the ASPI drivers I've tried so far (ASPICD.SYS, ASPIDISK.SYS, the Iomega ZIP ASPI driver). They simply don't detect an ASPI manager!

The other ASPI manager that was supplied with the drive package, refuses to install, because it requires at least a 80286 CPU.

through the BOOT ROM, the Rancho card does successfully boot SCSI hard drives (except for a 1GB IBM/WD model 0662, which it refuses to detect). It also detects CDROM drives and an internal Iomega ZIP100 SCSI drive during the probe, but can't do anything with those without the appropriate ASPI drivers.

Do any of you know if it is a common problem that many ASPI managers of older SCSI hardware are not compatible with common (DOS) ASPI drivers, such as ASPI CDROM drivers?

Perhaps I'm doing something else wrong? Could any of you recommend an alternative 8bit SCSI card with a proper (8086 compatible) ASPI manager? I've heard someone (I believe in the DOSBox forum) mention Future Domain cards?

I hope someone can help me out with this.

Thank you all in advance!

Back