• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Working in IT

Sometimes the green slice is actually bigger...

So I had to help someone with their PC yesterday and it was actually a combination of the green and blue.. I came by and it was working fine, but I stuck around long enough (and did a reboot) and it stopped working, turns out it was a Powerline network device that I had to uplug and plug in again (it was red, likely messed up by some power outages the last few days). Showed them what to do next time so hopefully they don't call me again :)

I agree.

This all applies to fixing anything, not just IT. Power-cycling, and repairman simply being present, fix most anything.

As Barbara Woodhouse used to say of naughty dogs, the problem usually was the owner not the dog...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Woodhouse

.. the same with Computers, often the user gets all hung up and in a panic, and just a calm presence can sort the problem out. Happened to me last week. Problem with a printer. Lots of spurious messages, a calm head and its was all working again, so the green should be much bigger...

I think there is also a bit missing. That is, if its an intermittent problem, you just break it properly so some one else has to fix it....

Back