• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Other US Areas WTB::: Custom GPU cooler for GeForce 200 series with the option to attach standard case fans

Covers the non-continental US, including Alaska, Haiwaii, Puerto Rico and other territories.

computerdude92

Veteran Member
Delivery Options
International Shipping
I'd love to stop using low power fanless GPUs. The problem is, I don't want to worry about carrying proprietary GPU fans for spares. I'm all about long term reliability.

Do any of you happen to have a custom GPU cooler for GeForce 200 series (Tesla 2.0) and older graphics cards, or know of any model numbers I can search for online? I don't have interest in any GPUs newer than the 200 series.

I really want one that lets me screw or snap on standard case fans, such as 60mm or 80mm for example.

Thanks!

I know back in the day, there was the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and S2; I put the S2 on a Radeon HD3650 to run it fanless.

GPU fans in most cases are not proprietary. They may use stylized blades or different color plastics, but they're based on a base model design of a blower or fan. There are some outliers that do use proprietary nonsense, but those can be modded to use more standard parts.

Here's an example for a VEGA 56/64 card blower, which is a common sized used in a ton of different blower cards.

Here's an example for 75mm fans:

I've replaced fans on dozens and dozens of cards over the years, and have yet to come across one that I couldn't buy a fan for, or alter one to make it work. There's no need to tape and ziptie full sized fans on cards, unless you just need an emergency repair to last you until you can get a replacement fan in.

Ok, maybe I am overthinking it. I just need to find spare fans for GTX 200 series cards on Ebay. Thanks for the good points.

How long do GPU fans typically last before they die and the card overheats? What temps are worrisome?

Depends on the card design and the fan type used. I find that the cheap low budget cards with tiny fans and wafer thin heatsinks die the fastest. They use garbage tiny sleeve bearing fans that spin at 5000-8000 RPM to try and make up for their size. And since the fan hub is usually pressed right up against the wafer thin heatsink, right over the GPU ASIC, the grease quickly gets baked to death and the fan locks up. Since they usually don't have a sense wire on the fan, once it locks up, it keeps getting sent voltage and now you have two sources of heat. The blazing hot copper coils and the GPU ASIC. The plastic gets baked until it turns to dust usually. I've seen those copper coils turn completely black and sometimes melt together. Re-lubing those fans isn't a great idea, as the hub is often so compromised by heat that it just explodes.

Larger, more expensive cards, tend to last a lot longer since the fans aren't being baked to death. They also spin a lot slower and are easier on the bearings, so even the ones with crappy sleeves tend to last a long time. Some of the better ones use ball bearings. Later cards around the GTX 1000 / RX 500 era started to introduce fan-off modes, which completely turns the fans off and drops the core and memory clocks to minimal settings. This makes fans last even longer.

Of the dozens of large gamer cards I've had, I've only had to change the fans on three of them. One was a blower card (HD 5870), and the other two were fan cards (R9 280X, GTX 1070 Ti). And that's with accelerated wear. I never turn my machines off, so they're in service 24/7/365 and run that way for years. I still have some of my 15+ year old cards in daily service (8800 GTS) and the blowers in them are still perfectly fine. Just keep them clean and free of dust.

As for safe temperatures, most cards from 2008ish forward have a thermal junction in the 80-100C range, but just because they can run there, doesn't mean you should. The killer on large video cards, especially in the GTX 200 era was thermal cycling. The then still new ROHS solders had terrible problems with cracking due to lack of ductility, so keeping a more consistent temperature is very important. This is one reason why I always leave my machines on, to keep them from thermal cycling. Unless you have one of the really high end cards, like the GTX 280 or 295, if you can keep the card in the 50-80C range, it will be fine. The GTX 260 Core 216 is probably the sweet spot in that generation. They weren't made for very long and can be harder to find today, but they're out there.

Thank you very much for the detailed info. Can you show me a photo of an example card with a low quality fan as you were describing in your first paragraph please?

Sure. The first example is one of the worst, since it's surrounded on all sides, once the sleeve wears out sufficiently, the fan blades usually start rubbing on the metal, or catching on the lid and breaking. Second is the fan sitting directly on top of the ASIC.

active_heatsink.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

Back