• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Midwest WTB: HDD caddy for an Austin M1RC laptop and other parts for it

Covers: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio

retro-pc_user

Veteran Member
I have an Austin M1RC that has a few details that are minor inconveniences.

1) HDD caddy isn't present and it would make it easier to install a drive and screw it in
2) The TrackPoint is gooey and sticky and I'm not sure if the ones for the IBM ThinkPads would work theoretically speaking
3) The display locking clip is busted and it won't stay closed
4) I'm not sure if the system can get a CD-ROM installed where the floppy drive goes or if it's a floppy drive only (the drive works)
5) Requesting the original hard drive that came with the system so I can have all of the drivers since some of them are like unicorns online: extremely rare and 404 errors.
6) The display power switch is busted and I might be able to repair it with super glue and baking soda, however, a new one would work.

The display power switch internally is fine, it's the plastic one that springs up and down that presses the button down internally to shut the screen off.

It currently runs on a Pentium 100 with 16MB RAM on a i430MX chipset with an ES1688F sound chip and TFT active.

Must be within the US.

I got the display switch to work by soldering the pieces back together (plastic) and I got the gooey TrackPoint replaced with the one for a ThinkPad (temporary).

The battery barely holds a charge and it's not 100% accurate (should take 2 hours to charge and not 30 minutes).

Last edited:
If it is a Quanta laptop then maybe a old Dell model might use the same caddy. Or Brick Computer, a small OEM in Mass, also sold Quanta laptops such as TS30W and other "TS" models. You can seach old Brick websites on the wayback machine site use: wwwbrickcomputers.com and try sites in the early 2000's. See if you can find the "TS" model and search ebay for the caddy. Good luck.

No luck so far with the caddy search and I looked up the ones that Dell used and nothing there either. Unless I want to pay $200 for a busted Dell Pentium laptop.

Can you throw me a picture of the caddy? I have a nice trove of Dell laptop parts, perhaps I have something suitable... Is it the same caddy for a Dell XPS 90?

Back