• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: IDE Hard Drive (Windows 3.1 / 95)

maceffects

Experienced Member
OK so I am looking for an older Hard Drive that would work with a Emerson Series II Computer, I think its a 286, but it may be a 386. I really would like one that is loaded with DOS and Windows 3.1 or 95. I really prefer bigger, but willing to accept smaller ones. Willing to buy or trade for one. I am a Apple guy, but I want to play some old DOS games.

How big is ‘bigger’? I don't think drives >528MB will work natively on a 286 or a 386. Even some 486 machines still have the 528MB BIOS limitation and require outside help. Either way I have some < and > 528MB.

I should have an old wd ide drive. I'm guessing its in the 120mb - 420mb range. I can check if you're interested.

I really don't think you'll be able to get one with windows installed... there's no way of knowing the exact config and drivers needed.
Could put the install files on the drive and you install yourself. BUT, what if your computer uses different geometires for the drive.

Anyways, for $10 + ship, it's yours...

Well sounds like I want a 500mb drive then. I really don't now about configuration. That's why I'm really hoping for a log and play situation. So if anyone has a drive around 500mb that maybe preloaded. Let me know

I have the following drives available:

☀ Western Digital Caviar 2340 340 MB.

☀ Western Digital Caviar 1365 365 MB.

☀ Western Digital Caviar 2420 420 MB.

☀ Seagate ST3660A 545MB. You would only lose about 17 MB. of this drive as I would think that your BIOS can handle and see 528 MB.

you have a 286 and you want to run Windows 3.1 or 95. Think about it...this bus aint gonna get up that hill. It is early in the AM so forgive my crabbiness ...you apple guys with your it should just work when I plug it in mentality :)

A 286/386 class system might actuall run 3.1/95 Windows ... but gaming will be pointless and slow.

put DOS 3.3 on it and get games that were from that era.

If it's a later 286 or 386 with a decent amount of ram it should run Windows 3.1 ok. And of course old Dos games is a no brainer as Windows 3.1 will have no effect if it's not loaded. MS/PC Dos 3.3 has the 32meg partition limitation so it doesn't make sense using it with a 500meg drive. It was fine on say a 40 meg drive. I found it annoying on a 240meg drive so went the DrDos 6.0 route. OEM Compaq MS Dos 3.31 is a different matter though. PC/MS Dos 5, 6.x or 7/2k would be more suitable given the drive size. Either way you're gonna have to get familiar with Dos. Also you'll need to varify what the video/monitor type is so who ever sends the drive has Win3.1 set up to use and get familiar how to tune it/tweek for use on your system.

If you want a pointy clicky front end to launch dos games you can use a menuing system such as (if it has VGA), QuikMenu III, Magic Desk or similar. QuikMenu has a built-in graphical file manager as well. Another option is something like txt based Direct Access, Norton Commander(or clone) XTree etc.

As for Win95 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135878 Forget it on a 286 class system.

Last edited:
Back