• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WTB: PowerBook Duo 2300c Accessories

kvanderlaag

Experienced Member
Since the PB Duo 2300c doesn't really qualify as 'vintage', I figured I'd drop this request here and see what happens.

I'm looking primarily for docks - mini-docks are nice because I don't have a place on a desk where I can arbitrarily and permanently dump a Duo Dock, but I'm looking for something that will give me SCSI capabilities (I want to get a CD-ROM on there) and something that will give me ethernet, probably separately.

The net goal of this, some way down the road, is to be able to construct a small-ish external device that will provide the Duo with WiFi capabilities, but this seems to be possible only through the use of a wireless network bridge, which is decidedly not portable. If I can ever get my act together, it may be possible (assuming one can find a source of readily available Duo Dock connectors) to actually build a physical extension to the Duo which would provide it with something like either WiFi directly, or USB followed by WiFi.

This is, of course, a long project - I like doing ridiculous things pertaining to my degree, and learning to program System Extensions for System 7 qualifies pretty well as 'totally useless'

But, sitting in class next to all of my 'classmates' with their MacBooks, I'd just love to give them a little taste of vintage Apple by breaking out the PowerBook Duo fourteen years after its release and still be able to use it quite functionally.

I digress, anyways. I'm looking for a SCSI dock so I can run a CD-ROM drive, and an ethernet dock so I can connect it to the outside world. Also, if anyone has a Duo battery or two or three lying around that are dead and they don't want, let me know. I'm going to rebuild a few of them with HR-AUL cells.

Shipping is to Canada, which sucks, but I will live.

What you really want is an E-Machines EtherDock.

Good luck finding one. Took me three years to score one.

The other option is a conventional "MiniDock", plus a SCSI-to-Ethernet adapter, such as an Asante EN/SC. (At the bottom of that linked page is a picture of the special PowerBook model ("Micro EN/SC") that plugs directly into the PowerBook SCSI port, and draws power over ADB. The 'desktop' style ones with a standard DB-25 SCSI port plus AC power brick are much more common.)

And when I get home, I'll check through my Duo batteries. I think I have at least one spare.

I have the big docks - the "Dock II" - for some reason I got like 4 of them with my Powerbook Duo 2300c. I also have ethernet converters and the like, all for sale.

I need a functional Duo battery very very very very badly, mine won't hold a charge for more than 2 seconds rendering it useless. I'll give you a Dock II for one... please!!! :O

I unfortunately don't have the skills necessary to fix my current battery - perhaps if nothing else I can send it to you kvanderlag and pay you to refurbish it? :p

Raven - I think we might be able to work something out. I know the cells are something like $50 shipped to me, so that would be a pretty good deal, I think. Do you want me to let you know how rebuilding my own battery goes? Theoretically, I should be better at it the second time around, and now I have money to buy cells to try it.

Work something out how? I send you a Dock II and the battery to my Duo and you send me back a working battery? Who pays shipping on the Dock II, if so? Eager to be able to use this Powerbook.. :p

Pretty much, yeah. I'm not sure exactly how we'll work shipping - I think much of it is dependent on how many times I burn myself soldering cells together, and how much time I spend swearing at them. ;)

I'll let you know how it goes!

K so if I understand properly I'm waiting for you to go "k I has a working battery for u" in a PM.

K so if I understand properly I'm waiting for you to go "k I has a working battery for u" in a PM.
(Emphasis mine.)

Rebuilding battery packs may be of interest to others, but please continue the personal correspondence in PM.

I have the big docks - the "Dock II" - for some reason I got like 4 of them with my Powerbook Duo 2300c. I also have ethernet converters and the like, all for sale.

I need a functional Duo battery very very very very badly, mine won't hold a charge for more than 2 seconds rendering it useless. I'll give you a Dock II for one... please!!! :O

I unfortunately don't have the skills necessary to fix my current battery - perhaps if nothing else I can send it to you kvanderlag and pay you to refurbish it? :p

If you have a Duo Dock II for sale, I am looking for a nice clean unit. Let me know if you have 1 for sale, price, and maybe email a picture of what you have to TJ@macsociety.com

Thanks

tj

Back