• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WTBB: Socket 478 motherboard

Bobthearch

Experienced Member
Wanted to Beg/Buy:

If anyone comes across one in a salvage/junk piles, I could use a motherboard for a Pentium 4 (socket 478 ) . I do not need processor, RAM, etc., only a motherboard.

I would prefer an ATX form factor with an AGP card slot, and to not to have onboard sound or graphics. But naturally I'll take whatever's the cheapest.

Hoping to make a kid's homework computer with parts scavenged from a Gateway Media Center (and elsewhere)...

If you have anything like this available, please send a PM with your asking price.

Sincerely,
-Bob

I probably have some (IBM/HP), but they probably all have on board sound; also, shipping from Canada tends to be a little higher than within US, so let's see who else replies.

Even back then it was difficult to find a solid motherboard without onboard sound (now it's impossible :( ).

Only received one PM so far, from a fellow who might have a board, but without an AGP slot. MikeS, shoot me a PM if you're interested in unloading one of the boards you have. I doubt shipping will be that high. My zip code is 87740.

I'm surprised, given the age of any P4 computers, that there aren't more in the salvage piles yet. But then again, I set up one again this week and it still flies... :cool:

Even back then it was difficult to find a solid motherboard without onboard sound (now it's impossible :( ).

Only received one PM so far, from a fellow who might have a board, but without an AGP slot. MikeS, shoot me a PM if you're interested in unloading one of the boards you have. I doubt shipping will be that high. My zip code is 87740.

I'm surprised, given the age of any P4 computers, that there aren't more in the salvage piles yet. But then again, I set up one again this week and it still flies... :cool:

I also have a heard of 478 mobo's... most have onboard everything, but that can always be disabled.... anything specific you looking for? I got some new & used.

I also have a heard of 478 mobo's... most have onboard everything, but that can always be disabled.... anything specific you looking for? I got some new & used.

I'm really just looking to use up some spare parts that are laying around. Everything necessary to put together a solid P4 system (AGP graphic card, DDR RAM, P4 processor...) is here, except a motherboard. The plan is to install the components in a new-ish case and use for a kids' computer (office 2000, no internet, and a few older games).

So practically any ATX Socket 478 is workable. Onboard stuff is fine, as long as there's an AGP and PCI slot available for adding real cards.

If you're interested in unloading one of your available boards, send a PM with your asking price and I'll get back to you asap.

Otherwise, there seem to be quite a few available on eBay for cheap. Just thought one of you guys might have a spare laying around before I go the eBay route.

Thanks,
-Bob

just looked through my bits & peices... I think the pick of the litter is my DFI Lanparty Pro 875.

http://www.dfi.com/portal/CM/cmprod...sWindow?action=e&windowstate=normal&mode=view

something you would be interested in?

That's exactly the sort of board I was looking for, although it's almost certainly overkill for what I need. Shoot me a PM with your asking price and shipping, along with payment preference (paypal, check. MO, whatever), and I'll get back to you promptly.

Sorry it took me so long to get to the PO, but it looks like you found a probably better board than my boring IBMs anyway. Shipping would have been abt. $20.00 FWIW.

Good luck!

mike

Well, I sat on the offers for a few days, considered the options, and ended up scrounging an Intel board from eBay.

Thanks everyone.
-Bob

I have and Elitegroup P4vxASD2 socket 478B board. It had a celeron in it, It only have a 20pin power connector, no 4 pin. The specs say it can hold a P4 but idk how powerful.
It has an AGP slot It has been laying around and it boots to the XP loading screen but it wont load XP (may just be the hard drive). I will include the heat sink but you will need to buy the bracket ($4 at frys).

here are the specs http://www.fryssupport.net/p4vxasd2.cfm

let me know!

I have and Elitegroup P4vxASD2 socket 478B board. It had a celeron in it, It only have a 20pin power connector, no 4 pin. The specs say it can hold a P4 but idk how powerful.
It has an AGP slot It has been laying around and it boots to the XP loading screen but it wont load XP (may just be the hard drive). I will include the heat sink but you will need to buy the bracket ($4 at frys).

here are the specs http://www.fryssupport.net/p4vxasd2.cfm

let me know!

I ended up getting a cheapee on eBay. Thanks anyway, maybe next time.

that's why you get it anyway, disable the onboard audio in BIOS, then throw in a real soundcard :p

It just irritates me to no end that every motherboard is 'stuck' with a feature that I don't want and will never use. If I didn't want to select my own components, I wouldn't bother building from scratch.

Intel had some really solid boards back in the P4 era with no onboard sound...

On the plus side, as you mentioned, onboard stuff is easier to disable on today's hardware, and it tends to stay disabled. And today's onboard sound doesn't suck near as much as the old stuff either.

I find that highly annoying too. They give you all really lousy stuff, integrated sound, graphics, etc, and then strip out things that are useful like PS2 plugs, Serial, Parallel, IDE channels, etc.

Back