• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WYSE-60 Dumb Terminal CRT - ghosting/trails ?

vom513

Hello,

This is a WYSE-60 dumb terminal - "paper white" video color. It seems like
there is excessive ghosting or "trails". See this video, take note of the
right hand side (file names scrolling).

I had this exact model of terminal (but a different unit) > 20 years ago, and
I never remember ghosting like this. Is this just normal for something of
this age ? Is there some component that could be replaced or adjusted to
mitigate or solve this ?

Thanks.

I seem to recall see a lot of monochrome terminals back then with slow phosphor, to reduce eye-strain. Looks like what I remember of terminals of that era.

Totally Normal... You can set the baud rate lower to help with the ghosting. Guessing you are using 19200? Try backing it down to 9600, the ghosting shouldn't be as bad. Harder you push them, more they ghost.

Note, lowering the baud rate effectively slows down the scrolling, so the ghosts are less noticeable. But it has no effect at all on how long the phosphor retains the ghost image. turning down the brightness will reduce the ghosting, since the ghost image starts out less-bright and thus fades to "invisible" faster/sooner. I always used these terminals at minimal brightness anyway, again for eye-strain.

That's a feature, not a bug.

The "ghosting" is an artifact of the screen (I think it's the coating) having a long decay time, so the tube can have a slow refresh rate, which helps reduce eye strain on the user. I used to use one of those terminals at a job long ago, and find it quite nice.

If you run an old-school terminal emulator like coolretroterm, there are even controls to increase the ghosting.

Back