• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT clone motherboard repair advice/help needed (AUVA VIP TXM/10-III)

Tronix

Experienced Member
Hello,
I recently got this motherboard (photo by seller):
meshok.jpg

I identified the board as AUVA COMPUTER 8088 TURBO TXM/10-III . I washed the board from dust and dirt, straightened the jumper contacts and installed the jumpers of the eeprom type selection in accordance with the description to 2764. Also i set dip switches according manual to 640Kb RAM, no FPU, 1 drives, and VGA monitor type. Then I turned on the board with a VGA video card and there was no image on the screen at all (no signal).

So, i burn in to 2764 EEPROM Supersoft Landmark ROM and start board with old CGA videocard based on discrete elements and got this static image:
photo_2022-07-10_10-55-28.jpg

At the same time, the speaker beeps the following errors:
- Keyboard controller (yes, keyboard is not connected);
- Floppy controller (yes, floppy controller is absent);
- Floppy disk read (no controller - no disk read);

At some point, LandmarkROM does a "CGA Memory test", and at that moment i can see on the screen "CGA snow" is running but no characters appear or change on the screen. After a while, the errors beeps repeat in a cycle (new pass started).

I have tried different CGA cards - old discrete IC based, newly made CGA Redux, old chipset based CGA - in all cases i get some pattern on the screen instead of letters/normal text. With MDA card (chipset based) Landmark ROM beeps says: "cannot initialize monitor".

If i start the motherboard with the default BIOS and play with the monitor type selection DIP-switches, namely switching from CGA40 to CGA80, then i can see that the CGA card switches to these modes (the size of the characters increases if CGA40 is installed).

So, what i did:
1) Passed the test by the method of "ground I/O CH RDY" - FFFFE sticks out at addresses A0-A19, as it should be, 0xEA sticks out at D0-D7, as it should be.
2) Desolder, raised on IC-panels and replaced the main buffers and latches on the data bus and addresses bus (74F245, 74LS373)
P1140098.JPG
No luck;
3) Desolder, raised on IC-panels and replaced many discrete IC, all 74LS244 buffers and i8237 DMA controller
P1140100.jpg
No luck;
4) Desolder, raised on IC-panels and replaced i8255, i8259 - no luck;
5) Test all memory IC by special tester, found one bad chip, replace it. Nothing changes.
6) Replace i8288 bus arbiter with good one - nothing changes.

Thus, most of the IC on the board were already replaced with known good ones, but this did not bring any result. :cry: Everything works, but nothing works.

A PROM chip is installed on the board - U83 marking 82S129 (256x4)
etiketka_lol.jpg
with strange label:
MRO (????) phase phase 1
R (Reset?) phase

I'm not sure that this chip is from this board, and not replaced by someone once. Nevertheless, the firmware from it:
photo_2022-07-10_13-02-43.jpg

To understand what is happening here, I drew a part of the circuit in the binding of this PROM:
prom_sch.png

Unfortunately, I can't figure out if this is a normal firmware or not. I don't have enough knowledge.
All firmware (main BIOS and PROM) I attach.

I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance

Attachments

• TXM_10_III.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 3
Then I turned on the board with a VGA video card and there was no image on the screen at all (no signal).
Is that a VGA card that is known to work in XT-class computers?

So, i burn in to 2764 EEPROM Supersoft Landmark ROM and start board with old CGA videocard based on discrete elements and got this static image:
At the same time, the speaker beeps the following errors:
- Keyboard controller (yes, keyboard is not connected);
- Floppy controller (yes, floppy controller is absent);
- Floppy disk read (no controller - no disk read);
That certainly sounds like the motherboard is running, and that the problem is purely video related.
This rings a bell in that I think someone else reported something similar.
You have tried multiple CGA cards.
Have you tried different ISA slots?

Is that a VGA card that is known to work in XT-class computers?
Yes, sure, this is realtek 3105 that works with other xt. I have another XT-clone motherboard on which I tested all the video cards that I try to use in this system. They all work perfect with a different XT board. I have tested: old CGA with descrete IC from 1980, newly made CGA with descrete IC named "CGA Redux", old CGA based on "Udl chipset", old MDA card based on "TD3088A chipset", realtek VGA 3105, trident 8900d, acumos AVGA1...
photo_2022-07-19_13-08-37.jpgphoto_2022-07-19_13-09-51.jpgP1140090.jpg

Have you tried different ISA slots?
Yes, I tried to insert into different slots. No lucky (

Finaly i fixed it.
There was a break in two traces on the board - A13 and A15 from CPU to 74LS373 latch that generates signals ISA_A13 and ISA_A15.
Now i running DOS with VGA video (Realtek 3105) and XT_IDE. Passed extended memory tests in CheckIt.
The board also works with all my VGA, CGA, MDA video card including an interesting homebrew "tripple-head" i8275 Color Display Adapter -)
So, the firmware attached in the first message is correct, including firmware 82S129 PROM.
Thanks to all.

Attachments

• photo_2022-07-25_21-44-43.jpg
    photo_2022-07-25_21-44-43.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 16
  • P1140065.JPG
    P1140065.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back