• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT keyboard to AT motherboard adapter ?

Ok i was lucky enought to get a motherboard that have xt/at selectable jumper on it a WDM286 -WDM20 the motherboard is very cool full of features. The problem is that i get parity errors and random crashes no matter what memory i use the motherboard takes only parity memory tried 5 different memory sets and have problems in all of them so i suppose y is a motherboard issue. Now i have to get another one.

Ok i was lucky enought to get a motherboard that have xt/at selectable jumper on it a WDM286 -WDM20 the motherboard is very cool full of features. The problem is that i get parity errors and random crashes no matter what memory i use the motherboard takes only parity memory tried 5 different memory sets and have problems in all of them so i suppose y is a motherboard issue. Now i have to get another one.
From a previous post, I see you are using it in an IBM Portable 5155. I've found that the power supply in the 5155 is not powerful enough for some power-hungry motherboards. If you have an AT power supply or something with more wattage, try that and see if your random crashes go away. Of coarse, the AT power supply won't fit in the 5155 case, but maybe the guts could be transferred into the 5155s PSU enclosure if you find that it works reliably on the bench.

From a previous post, I see you are using it in an IBM Portable 5155. I've found that the power supply in the 5155 is not powerful enough for some power-hungry motherboards. If you have an AT power supply or something with more wattage, try that and see if your random crashes go away. Of coarse, the AT power supply won't fit in the 5155 case, but maybe the guts could be transferred into the 5155s PSU enclosure if you find that it works reliably on the bench.

thanks going to try this i can see the screen flicker a little when i access the xt-ide

if you are looking to use it on your modern pc theres plenty of xt - usb adapters on ebay
I'm looking for a solution for using my XT keyboard with an AT keyboard connector on a 286 motherboard. Did the Hagstrom thing work for you in that regard? It sure looks pricey. It also lacks an enclosure, which is a big no-no for me.

I'm looking for a solution for using my XT keyboard with an AT keyboard connector on a 286 motherboard. Did the Hagstrom thing work for you in that regard? It sure looks pricey. It also lacks an enclosure, which is a big no-no for me.
Yes works great, in my case was installed internally inside the ibm portable so i don't care about enclosure.
Also yes is pricey but was the only option back then, not sure now if there's a cheaper alternative.

Back