• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XWindows wonky colors with DSL?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I have installed DSL on a Compaq LTE Elite 75mhz. Works pretty awesome and my Orinoco wifi card even works right out of the box. Getting X working was a bit trickier but I have gotten it to work. When X starts up the colors look great and then they fizzle out. It should be 8bit color but it looks like it turns into 16 bit colors.

Check out this youtube video of it starting up. Why would the colors start to look great and poop out?

That doesn't look like a change in bitdepth so much as it looks like your desktop environment is redefining the palette without adapting your wallpaper to it.

I pulled up that same image and it's still botched but a different color of botchery.

On a positive note not only do my Orinoco wifi cards work out of the box but my Cisco Aironet 340 does as well.

Attachments

• 20130816_124343.jpg
    20130816_124343.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1
I pulled up that same image and it's still botched but a different color of botchery.

On a positive note not only do my Orinoco wifi cards work out of the box but my Cisco Aironet 340 does as well.
That's good to here somthing is working out ok.

I had Mandrake 6.5 on one of my 486s. It had only 512k of vram with 64megs of ram and was ok normally but as soon as I opened Gimp the screen colours would go heywire and the window the mouse pointer-gimp tools etc- was over looked ok but as soon as the mouse pointer moved away there was screen colour jiggery pockery. I was using WindowMaker as my wm at the time IIRC. Ran ok too.

Last edited:
It looks like its running in 256 color mode and the X11 pallet handling is fairly poor.
It would be nice if someone could develop a viable replacement for X designed for local use.

If you're still working on this, can you paste your xorg.conf on here?

You may want to build X from scratch so that it's configured for a very low-end video card... now I know that isn't exactly appealing, but I have done it before without too much trouble. Make sure to configure for 486 systems if you decide to cross-compiler (recommended!).

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.3/x/installing.html

Back