• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Y2K for RT-11??

w6pug

I did not realize DEC was caught up in the Y2K thing .... but does anyone have a Y2K fix for RT-11?
I am putting it on a GenRad system - looks like RT-11 v5.0
This thing does not have a serial out for a modem like my old system had, and I am eventually going to have to put a bus extender in and add some peripherals to it, but since I can't go the modem route, if someone has a Y2K fix for it and can put it on a 5-1/4 floppy and would not mind mailing it, I would be glad to reimburse accordingly .... ... If there are just a few lines of code I could probably build a file using TECO?
It's been 30 years since I have messed with this so my learning curve is a bit slow coming back ;-)
Thanks guys - I very much appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks - I will see what I can do ...
It has been 30 years since I have done anything pdp-11 or RT-11, and I am struggling a little bit, so I am trying to find a basic tutorial for SIMH and maybe have to reteach myself .... when the software is all intact, I don't have much trouble running the gear, but some of the files have been corrupted or missing, and I do not yet have the diagnostic skills to solve them, so I am going to have to go at this one issue at a time .... I appreciate your help and any advice given .... there is a long story behind why I have this instrument, but it is a beauty and part of my history, so I want to pursue this. Thanks again!

I did not realize DEC was caught up in the Y2K thing .... but does anyone have a Y2K fix for RT-11?
I am putting it on a GenRad system - looks like RT-11 v5.0
This thing does not have a serial out for a modem like my old system had, and I am eventually going to have to put a bus extender in and add some peripherals to it, but since I can't go the modem route, if someone has a Y2K fix for it and can put it on a 5-1/4 floppy and would not mind mailing it, I would be glad to reimburse accordingly .... ... If there are just a few lines of code I could probably build a file using TECO?
It's been 30 years since I have messed with this so my learning curve is a bit slow coming back ;-)
Thanks guys - I very much appreciate any help you can give!

It's not just a few files (there are lots of random RT-11 system programs that are Y2K-broken). Mentec updated RT-11 v5.7 to be the first fully compliant RT-11 Y2K system, but that version is not freely available. It is 'owned' by Mentec (or XX2247,LLC) or their assigns, since I believe Mentec USA that had licensed the DEC software for resale is now bankrupt.

On my RT-11 systems I just set the date back to 1986, so all the months, days of the week are the same as 2014. Running in 1986 seems more appropriate, anyway.

Don

Back