• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

You Don't Know Flack (Podcast)

Flack

Experienced Member
So, somehow this forum fell off my radar in 2006 and I just rediscovered it today. Talk about a total time warp!

Between then and now I started "You Don't Know Flack," a podcast that covers "retrogaming, retrocomputing, and other technology and gadget-related topics, from a guy who was there, and still is." So far I have released 29 episodes, although I started numbering them at #100 so the latest one is #128. Some of the topics I have covered include vintage arcades, computer copyfests, the CFFA3000 for the Apple II, the 1541 Ultimate for the C64, BASIC programming, and the Commodore 128 ( for episode #128 ).

Here are all the relevant links:

The You Don't Know Flack RSS Feed
The You Don't Know Flack iTunes Link
The You Don't Know Flack Facebook Page
The You Don't Know Flack Official Forum

Along with iTunes, you can also find You Don't Know Flack on Doubletwist, Stitcher, Miro, and the Zune/Xbox Marketplace.

For suggestions, feedback, show requests and criticism, you can e-mail me or leave a message on the official You Don't Know Flack voice mailbox (206-309-9501).

Hey Flack,

Talk about being late to the party, I just found out about your podcast a few weeks ago. Have been trying to catch up.

Listened to the BASIC episode yesterday, very fun! Too bad, though, about your Franklin Ace 1000. Its duty done, may it rest in pieces :-(

Keep the dream alive! Going to listen to the C128 episode this weekend.

Later,

- Earl

Welcome back! Love the show name :) I'll try to catch up as well as long as it's not only on itunes heh. Can you convert it to 1-bit so I can play it back on my C64 at amiga group meetings? ;-)

Talk about being late to the party, I just found out about your podcast a few weeks ago. Have been trying to catch up.
Thanks, Earl! Your podcast is one of the ones that inspired me to start mine so, yeah, full circle and all that. :)

Listened to the BASIC episode yesterday, very fun! Too bad, though, about your Franklin Ace 1000. Its duty done, may it rest in pieces :-(
That unopened one is still out there on eBay, tempting me. I have five or six IIc machines and one IIe so I don't need that other Franklin, but... need is an interesting word, isn't it...

Keep the dream alive! Going to listen to the C128 episode this weekend.
From a technical standpoint it's not one of my better episodes (in my opinion) as it was recorded from a hotel room without all the normal tools I use, but it kept things rolling on schedule until I can get back on track with... crap, tomorrow's Sunday, isn't it. :)

Welcome back! Love the show name :) I'll try to catch up as well as long as it's not only on itunes heh. Can you convert it to 1-bit so I can play it back on my C64 at amiga group meetings? ;-)
The podcast has its own RSS feed so you can grab it that way. In the original post I also have links to the show on Stitcher and a few other aggregates.

Maybe I should set up a super old-school subscription service that allows people to receive copies of the show on cassette tapes in the mail... ;)

Hi, Flack, I too just discovered your podcast. Love it! I'm trying to go back and listen to the episodes in which I have particular interest. I'm a general retrocomputing lover, but very much appreciate your Commodore-based episodes.

thanks much for doing this. It gives me another retrocomputing-based podcast to listen to on the drive to and from work.

Randy Kindig
Floppy Days Podcast
floppydays.libsysn.com
floppydays@gmail.com
twitter: @floppydays

Thanks, Randy! Cranking up production to a (mostly) weekly-based show is running through my planned show topics quickly -- that's why some of them are not strictly technical in nature. I would like to do some game-specific episodes in the future so we'll have to see how those go over.

I will start updating this thread when new episodes come out so you guys will know and can see if they are episodes that would interest you.

Episode 141 is Online.

In Episode 141, I talk about my infatuation with the new(ish) credit card-based computer, the Raspberry Pi. In this show I talk about what the Raspberry Pi is, what it's capable of doing, and some of the more interesting uses for this $35 computer. Also on this episode I moved my microphone around and introduced some weird and annoying microphone noises to the show. You're welcome.

Link: Episode 141: Raspberry Pi
Link: Archive.org Download Mirror
Link: The YDKF Website
Link: The YDKF Forum (The Gas Chamber)
Link: The YDKF RSS Feed
Link: The YDKF Facebook Page
Feeds: iTunes | Stitcher | Podcast Pickle
Voice Mailbox: 405-486-YDKF

Episode 145 is Online.

Throughout the years, several people have asked me how to get started podcasting. I’ve never sat down and wrote or recorded an answer to that question… until now. With audio submissions from several of my fellow podcasters, this episode is packed full of podcast-related hints, tips, suggestions, and most of all, encouragement!

This star-studded episode includes submissions from:

- Guy Hutchinson of the Adventure Club Podcast, Flux Capaci-cast, Drunk on Disney and several other shows, all of which can be found at TheACPN.com
- Earl Green from The Escape Pod(cast) hosted by TheLogBook.com
- Robert “Ferg” Ferguson, host of the Atari 2600 Game by Game Podcast
- Rick and Paul from The Intellivisionaries
- Doug McCoy of McCoyCast (including Never Seen It, Crazy Creepy Cool Movies, and the 80′s Anthology: Episode by Episode podcasts)
- Carrington Vanston, co-host of both No Quarter and the Retro Computing Roundtable
- Sean Johnson, founder of Throwback Reviews, OTR Playlist and my partner on Throwback Network
- The Retroist, owner of Retroist.com and the Retroist Podcast

Link: Episode 145: About Podcasting

Episode 146 is Online.

Getting back to arcade games, I spent November 15-17 in Denver, Colorado hanging around the 1UP Arcade attending the 3rd Annual Kong Off Tournament. Billy Mitchell, Steve Wiebe, Walter Day and the 32 best Donkey Kong players in the world attended the tournament. In this episode of You Don’t Know Flack I talk about my time spent at the Kong Off 3 and some of the other classic arcades I visited in and around Denver!

Link: Episode 146: Kong Off 3

Back