• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

YouTube videos of some of my other computers

tezza

Veteran Member
I thought I'd spend a rainy weekend doing something creative and make another YouTube video this time on my Apple II+ and some of the clones.

http://youtu.be/Tc44R-f07KI

Better video than the others but issues with the audio auto-level when I'm filming myself. I'll get it right eventually.

So as not to incur the wrath of the moderators I thought I might use this one thread to let people know when I've uploaded a new video, rather than creating a new thread.

Tez

I especially enjoyed this 'historic video', for although I've owned an Apple II & a TRS-80 Model 1, I've never even seen a real live Commodore PET, although I've had/have many other types of CBM machines. Some day these machines will only run in peoples memories and that will bring your 'historic videos' to the forefront, for a view on how they operated. Thanks again, Tez :)

Thanks Vint,

The PET is a lovely machine. My next target is my TRS-80 Model 1, although I've been sidetracked somewhat with my Epson QX-10 so it might not be for a week or two.

So, this turns out to be my favorite of your videos on vintage computers because of course, the Model 1 was my first computer bought back in 1978. I spent many (too many), hours learning and playing with this machine. I had an early model without the numeric keypad and I had to do an upgrade from 4 K to 16K myself, but I did have the sense at the time to start with Level II already installed. Dancing Demon was my all time favorite program for the Model 1 with Quick Watson a close second. I would have loved to have the Expansion Interface back then, but it cost $395. at the time - out of my range, so I was stuck with tape for all my programs. Anyway, thanks Tez, for a great trip down memory lane :)

So, this turns out to be my favorite of your videos on vintage computers because of course, the Model 1 was my first computer bought back in 1978. I spent many (too many), hours learning and playing with this machine. I had an early model without the numeric keypad and I had to do an upgrade from 4 K to 16K myself, but I did have the sense at the time to start with Level II already installed. Dancing Demon was my all time favorite program for the Model 1 with Quick Watson a close second. I would have loved to have the Expansion Interface back then, but it cost $395. at the time - out of my range, so I was stuck with tape for all my programs. Anyway, thanks Tez, for a great trip down memory lane :)

I remember (and have) Dancing Demon. :)

Yes, TRS-80 Model 1 "culture" was my introduction to microcomputers. I learnt so much from all the magazines and books, and just playing around with the machine (in my case a TRS-80 clone, the System 80). I even put it to work analysing statistics on contract, and in the end this actually paid for the machine. Considering how much computers cost back then it wasn't possible to explore the other technologies in depth, unless you knew someone who owned another model. And those days, you tended to be more interested to link up with people that had the SAME model as you, so you could share experiences.

That's one great thing about today. You can explore other technologies of the time and get to know what they were all about without spending too much (although prices are rising).

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the videos. The next one will be the Atari 400.

Tez

This Dick Smith system is very much like my old TRS-80 Model 1, yet vastly different in it's outward appearance. I do like the built-in cassette deck. Watching your video reminds me of just how far computers have advanced in the past 30 some years. Looking at what they are pushing this Christmas season in the way of smart phones and tablets that will sell in the millions compared to the few people that were buying home computers in 1978-1980. I mean now most every electronic gadget you buy seems to have a video screen attached to it, and everybody, down to pre-teens owns one. I looked up the word 'program' in the dictionary and it's been replaced with the word app. Everything is an app. You must have apps to survive now in this world. Everything is done with an app nowadays. Back when I had my TRS-80 Model 1, I would sit and try to write a program for hours or days, and then spend days debugging the thing,- or type one in from a magazine consisting of hundreds of lines. Finally I'd save my little program gem onto a cassette. Later you could sit and wait for 5 minutes or so to load the program back into your computer. Today you get your apps for free, mostly. Reminds me of that song by Dire Straits, "Money For Nothing" -
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it - swipe your tablet, get your apps for free!
Wonder if I could write up a song for the Dancing Demon' to the tune of "Money For Nothng?" Now that's the way you do it :)
Anyway, Tez, I enjoyed your nostalgic look at the Dick Smith system and the way it was to use a computer back then.

Tez,
I thought your youtube channel looked awfully familiar! I haven't been on these boards much recently, but do try to poke around once in a while. Come to think of it, I believe (would have to check) that you were one of the many helpful folks that pointed me where to look for the issues with my own PET. Which I still haven't replaced, just yet (PIA, that is. Business trip to Afghanistan delayed my repairs about 9 months, not much longer till I get back though!) Anyhow, not trying to derail anything, just want to say thanks again for your awesome videos- they are just about everything I have found lacking in old computer videos- A nice history and review of the system, but also containing 'action shots' of it at work! LOVE it!
Take care, and I look forward to your future videos!
ronwoch

A New Year's look at another one of my classic rest home residents - that triumph of British minimalism, the Sinclair ZX81.
http://youtu.be/7KsuTg1qHIE

(Note: Original video had some audio missing. New version loaded and link has been edited)

Last edited:
Back