• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ZTerm for Apple II CP/M

Aofapple

Hello all,

I am looking for Z-Term for the Apple CP/M. No luck finding it in the usual places.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Armando

Hello all,

I am looking for Z-Term for the Apple CP/M. No luck finding it in the usual places.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Armando
I worked a deal with the eBay guy and got the Z-Term software. With the scanned PDF, the file is too large to attach this post, so you can download it from my website repository here. The .zip contains an Apple CP/M format .dsk file and the scanned manual. Here are some notes on Z-Term from my experiments:
- Z-Term does not seem to detect my Super Serial Card. When I launch ZTERM.COM, it says, "no card" and exits. The software runs and the ZMOD.COM software also runs as expected, so it appears to be looking for some hardware I don't have installed.
- The software was released in 1981. The documentation doesn't mention the SSC as a supported serial card (it mentions the SSM-AIO and others. The instructions also say the software expects the serial card or modem to be in slots 2 or 3 only.
- I got the same "no card" results when I ran it on the Virtual ][ emulator as well, also using an emulated SSC. I can't fine any Apple emulators that support anything other than SSCs.

I would like to know if anyone is successful running the software. It's archived now for posterity at least.

ECNeilson

In the SSC manual, there is a jumper setting to convert the SSC into a legacy serial card. I might try this over the weekend to see if Z-Term will detect an older serial card.

I have not used a SoftCard with CP/M in many years, nor have I used Zterm. However, I believe the software does not need to interface with the serial card directly, that is one of the jobs of CP/M. In other words, as long as your version of CP/M supports the serial card, your application will as well unless the developers choose to work with the hardware directly.
Again, it has been years, but I had the same issue using a SuperSerial and CP/M. I updated to a newer version of CP/M and it began working. I think I was using versions 2.2 and updated to 2.23 and placed the SuperSerial in slot 3.

Hope this helps,
Marvin

Back