• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ZX Spectrum strange behaviour and warm ULA...

mubase

Experienced Member
Hi everyone. I'm testing out the ZX Speccys I got in a haul ( see other videos) and this one was originally showing just a screen with a white border and a blocky screen with colours. Now it sometimes does what it does in the video. Also I noticed after unplugging that the ULA is warm.
Can anyone verify for me whether the've seen this kind of fault before?
Thanks. :)

It's normal for the ULA in a Spectrum to run a lot hotter than you would expect most ICs to run, which unfortunately deprives you of one possible diagnostic method for that particular chip. They can be hot and OK, or hot and faulty. Operating temperature is no real guide to condition.

However, you seem to be in the fortunate position of having more than one Spectrum, at least some of which work. So if you suspect a faulty ULA in this machine, why not try temporarily putting a ULA from one of the others in it to see if it makes that problem go away?

Hi Sirius. Good idea, I did think about giving that a go. Just worried that the working ULA might get damaged in the process... is this possible??

If you can lay hands on a circuit diagram (the worldofspectrum website is a great resource for all things Spectrum) you might want to check that the internal supply voltages are what they should be before inserting a known good device. But usually the risk will be very very low, especially if you only power up the machine for long enough to see whether it works or not.

It works the other way as well of course: You can try the suspect ULA in a known good Spectrum as well: In that case you already know that everything in the target machine - including the supply voltages - must be good, so if fitting the suspect ULA in that machine stops it from working, you know the ULA is bad.

The greatest risk, actually, comes from the fact that there is a right way and a wrong way round to insert the chip into the socket, and putting one in the wrong way around and applying power for any length of time very likely will damage a healthy IC. So be very careful in that respect.

Also, be careful not to fold or bend any of the device pins as you insert it into the socket - it's quite easy to do accidentally, and you can only bend IC pins back into shape one or two times before they snap off.

Hi Sirius and thanks for the advice. Excellent idea about putting the suspect ULA in one of the working machines. I'll try that.

The greatest risk, actually, comes from the fact that there is a right way and a wrong way round to insert the chip into the socket, and putting one in the wrong way around and applying power for any length of time very likely will damage a healthy IC. So be very careful in that respect.

Yeah don't worry I'm aware of notches and I'm not too drunk to do anything hastily ;)

I'll give it a try in a bit. At the moment I'm about to solder in some new LM7905s' into the ORIC 1 computers I have. Fingers crossed!!

Back