• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Power Mac G3 Fits

Vlad

It's no secret that my Power Mac G3 All-In-One's CRT almost exploded. But thats a story for another day. I got a Desktop version of the Power Mac G3 from a friend. Since the Motherboards are the same for all of the Beige G3's be it mini tower, to desktop and even the AIO. I booted it in original configuration and it went into OS 9.1. I swapped the HD's and it tries to boot my HD into OS 9.2, but it stops at one puzzle peice at the bottom. (If you know Mac, you understand that) and shows a dialog box that's blank. Then haults with that on the screen. THe motherboard from the AIO is fine, so If I need to swap the mobos, thats fine. But I wold still like to save this one for a project...... Any ideas?

Before you say anything, yes, I reset and removed and reinserted the PRAM battery. Duh, thats like the first step to anything......

-V

This is a little new for the Mac forums. It's more or less a hardware problem......

Isn't there some way to boot a Mac without loading all the extra crap? Sum'n like holding the 'command' key and some other one (enter?)? Help me out here, Mac folks...

--T

That won't help. It halts before that point. It's used and I don't know its history. It probably wants to be laid to rest....

Poor thing *sniff*

-V

Let's see.. computer boots with one HDD but not with another? One would assume that the OS 9.2 installation either is trying to access some hardware configuration that differs between the motherboards, or that a file is corrupt. Can you mount both disks at once and perhaps there is some automagical OS salvage program to run on the other disk?

OS 9 probably needs reinstalled. The problem is I don't have OS 9. And I possibly lose programs that can't be replaced.
Eitherway, the whole mess can be fixed if I had an OS 9 disc. But I can't get one.

-V

Who said anything about SCSI? It's IDE ATA just like everything else is. And running Dual drives is tricky in a Macintosh. There's only a place for one....
But like I said. I think the Main Board has a problem. It doesint make the Chime when it starts up. That chime is in ROM, it should ALWAYS make that noise regardless......

-V

oops. I thought it was a scsi system. I'd still try running both drives, then. When there's no place for two, for diagnostic purposes, I would leave the case open and the drive set safely somewhere near but still connected. It's IDE... is there a second chain?

When it stops chiming, it usually means the thing is on it's way to the big Apple in the sky.... *Sniff*

Whats running 2 drives at the same time gonna do? Other than prove that yes, their not working........

(The Chime is the Blaaa noise it makes when any Mac boots....)

-V

Can't you diagnose one a a slave while running the known good one as a master? It might not be dead, just slightly corrupted and in need of attention.

*sigh*

The other HD doesin't have anything but the OS. No tools at all. I'm swapping the Mobo's to see if the other works.

-V

Back