• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Altos 2086, 2 CRTs, printer, free to good home

tobewan

I have an Altos 2086 system, 2MB ram, 10 serial ports, tape drive, 5-1/2" floppy, Altos CRTs, 2 manuals (Xenix commands and intro), and a printer that was used with it (Anadex Silent Scribe). No hard disk in the system though but it does have one disk tray (sorry). No software either. Condition and operation unknown. If no one's interested in it, it's headed for the recycler. I'll haul to a shipper if someone wants to pay for packaging and shipping.
Toby

Update 03/05/2006 - I found a Fujitsu M2246E MFM disk drive that may have been in this system. It was in a box with an OMTI controller card. The specs are 822 cyl x 10 hd x 35 sec (147MB +/-). The drive itself last time it was used was formatted for Pick Systems R83 as I recall. No clue whether it still works.

Last edited:
Equipment

Equipment

Hi Tobewan,

I 'am interested in the equipment, where are you located?

Thanks
Bobby

Wow, sounds like a neat system. I've always been a fan of Altos: their stuff was always well designed. Too bad about the hard drive; that version of Xenix might be a challenge to find. Anyway, I hope someone snaps it up. It's always sad to hear about systems ending up at the recycler.

Bobby,
I'm in Evansville Indiana. The system came from a client of mine when they stopped using it. I don't think I have any more MFM type disk drives. I've pretty much ignored the basement bone-yard for a number of years and am now trying to clean it out.
Found a Fujitsu drive that might work - see edit of original post
Let me know.
Thanks,
Toby

Last edited:
Altos

Altos

Hi Toby,

I am interested in getting the equipment, would like to know how heavy it is so I can find out how much it would cost me to shipped.
I' am located in New jersey, thanks for the fast relpy.

Bobby

the system unit weighs about 60 lbs. better add at least 10 more for shipping box and packing.

what all are you interested in?
printer ?
CRTs ?
Fujitsu disk drive?

Toby

it would be shipped from zip code 47715.

Altos

Altos

Hi,

I can have it pickup by USPS, is it more than 34 inches long or 17 inches high or 17 inches wide. I' am interested in Fujitsu disk drive, Printer.
Questions do I need the CRT for Altos2086 to work or can I use another moniter?

Thanks
Bobby

Bobby,
The system unit is 24" x 24" x 10". You'd better add 12" to each of those dimensions to allow for a suitable packing box.
The printer is about the same size but not as heavy, maybe 25 lbs.
I would think any CRT would work but I don't know what emulation Xenix defaults to when it comes up - but then again, it's a pretty rash assumption that you'll get Xenix working on it.
Toby

My best guess is that an Altos of that vintage should work with any 'standard' dumb terminal. As for Xenix (or any other OS), keep in mind that any ol' IBM-compatible disk probably won't boot it. Altos used a different, proprietary disk format for thier distribution software.

--T

Altos 2086

Altos 2086

Hi Terry,

First thanks for the fast reply, forget about the printer. Just want the Altos 2086 System, and the Fujitsu disk drive will they both be pack together?
I will have USPS pickup on Saturday or Monday, if that good for you?

Thanks
Bobby

Back