• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for 2 1970s Video Display Terminals ADDS & DigiL

thompsonrl

:?: I am looking for a couple makes of old style (1970s), video display computer terminals..

The first one is the ADDS Console 580 (ADDS stands for Applied Digital Data Systems. ADDS is now called Boundless Technologies.

The second one is the DigiLog (300 Baud) Video Display Terminal

Want ADDS and Digilog terminals

Want ADDS and Digilog terminals

Hello,
Since I was one of the original five founders of ADDS, and in fact I gave it it's name, you would think I could get you a Consul 580, no sweat. However, I left there in 1973 and don't have an ADDS terminal in my collection of this and that.
However, I have a rather large collection of manuals for the Console and MRD series. (The MRD seroes are the same terminal but contained in rack-mount enclosures with keyboards connected by cable and free standing monitor.) So, if you have found one, I can supply you with any of the documentation you might need for the cost of having a copy made and shipping it to you. Let me know if you are interested and what you would need.
Ray

When I was at Syracuse University, I came to like using the ADDS Consul 980. I remember it was quite novel having black characters on a white background (instead of the other way around, which was more common). And the BEL character made a very distinctive (and piercing!) feep.
Years later, I owned a Consul 980 for a while but needed the room for actual computers. (Come to think of it, I also owned a DECwriter once. I'd used them in college, but didn't realize just how much they actually weighed until I had to carry one up a flight of narrow wooden stairs in our 90-year-old house. What in the world was I thinking?!)

There are two ADDS console 580's in the trash across the street.

There are two ADDS console 580's in the trash across the street.

There are two ADDS console 580's in the trash across the street. Neither appear to be in that good of condition. Trash pickup is in the morning. Anyone interested had better let me know Quick!!!!!!!!!!

I did pull them from the trash because I found a computer collector willing to purchase one for a considerable amount of money. As far as I know he only wants one of them. So if anyone is interested in the other one, let me know!

Back to olddataman....

Off topic, but you may recall what I'm talking about. Some time around 1977 Radio Shack began marketing a "tandy 10". Someone has told me that this unit was a re-badged Adds unit. Does this ring a bell? I can send a PDF of the literature.

I've only ever seen or heard mention of it once, in one of my old books. It shows a picture of it, built into a desk. I'd sure like to find more info on it. When I get back home, I can try and scan the pic, if anyone is interested.

--T

Here are some photos of one of the ADDS Console 580's

Attachments

• P5030045c.jpg
    P5030045c.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P5030047c.jpg
    P5030047c.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2
  • P5030044c copy.jpg
    P5030044c copy.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2
Terry Yager said:
I've only ever seen or heard mention of it once, in one of my old books. It shows a picture of it, built into a desk. I'd sure like to find more info on it. When I get back home, I can try and scan the pic, if anyone is interested.

--T
I have a copy of the sales brochure in PDF too. It's not mine, but I'll put up a copy and post a link back.
Kelly

Tandy 10

Tandy 10

Hi All:

I noticed the post about the Tandy 10. There was indeed such a unit, made by ADDS. I worked at one of the first Tandy Computer Stores in New England, and we received one for our grand opening. I recall that it was one of only a handful that Tandy had bought.

It used a terminal similar to the one pictured above. It was built into a desk, with the electronics in a section below the desk.

There was a card cage, with a wire-wrapped backplane. the card cage bore the label of a company that did the wire-wrapping (I seem to remember they were in NY state).

The computer had 48K RAM, 2 8" floppies in an unusual configuration- I think it might have been single density, double-sided. It used a version of CP/M. The disks had to be purchased pre-formatted from Memorex, I believe. There was no formatting program available. There was a parallel port, and a serial port was to have been available, but may never have been shipped.

The system retail from Tandy was $9,995 plus shipping. The shipper was a company that specialized in delicate equipment such as pianos.

I sold the Tandy 10 to a bowling alley, but only after I wrote the software they needed to track bowling scores. After a year or two, they purchased a TRS-80 Model II, and they asked me to trasnfer the data to the new computer.

Since no serial port was available, and the disks were not compatible with anything else, I ended up having a parallel-to-serial built, wrote some software to do the transfer, and managed to copy all of the data and programs off the Tandy 10. For my work, I got paid in some cash, and got to keep the Tandy 10. I had to disassemble it from the desk to move it.

There was no technical manual available, as ADDS was to have produced a two-volume set, but never completed volume 2. I was able to obtain one after mine failed, by begging a rep at ADDS, who ended up sending me what she said was the only one available, and at no charge!

The failure of my unit turned out to be a bad 2102 RAM chip (there were 3 16K boards, each with 128 2102s on it).

After moving the computer a couple of times (disassembling it and reassembling it), it finally died when I accidently kicked out one of the 12-volt supply cables while the unit was powered up. I kept all of the parts for years, but eventually dumped all but a couple of the boards. I believe i still have the manuals and sales lit, though.

I hope this info is helpful!

I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

My first request would be of a couple of scans of any pictures you may have of this unit, even if from the manual. I don't have one, and have never seen one in the "wild". Many people I meet have a hard time even believing this system existed. Pictures of any remaining boards would be helpfull too.

My email is kelly at catcorner dot org

I'll see what I can dig up

I'll see what I can dig up

Hi Kelly:

I'll see what I can dig up. I believe that I kept one of the RAM boards, and if I can locate it, I'll post a picture of it.

I'm sure that I have the one-page sales sheet on it, so I'll see if I can come up with that. Imagine, in those days, that it was a one-page, black-and-white sheet, with little information about this $9,995 computer!

After I posted the other day, I started looking through the boxes-full and shelves piled high with old stuff from 1977 and on. I came up with a couple of TRS-80 Model I computers, a Model II, and boxes and boxes of software disks and manuals.

Back then I put all of my literature in 3-ring binders, so I should be able to post some interesting stuff. Since I worked for Tandy at the time, I have lots of "For Internal Distibution Only" information, newsletters, production info, etc.

I'm not sure if anyone cares about this stuff, but if so, I'll make some of it available.

[Many people have a hard time believing that it existed.]

Well, I can see why. If I recall correctly, Tandy only commissioned a few of these, probable around 6, but no more than 10. (Which may account for the Tandy 10 name?)

I remember that the only place that they were sold was the Tandy Computer Stores, of which there were only a few.

It was rumored at the time that these units were built as a marketing test to see if there would be any market for the TRS-80 Model II.

There was very little software available for it, mostly because the CP/M was a non-standard version. We did have Peachtree Accounting for it, and had A/R, A/P, P/R, Inv, and G/L available. I recall that this was the "original" Peachtree software that was written by the two owners of "The Computer SystemCenter" so that they would have something available to entice business owners into buying a computer.

Anyway, I am here to say that the Tandy 10 did exist, and I hold the distinction of not only being the only one to sell one in this part of the world, but also to actually own one!

Sorry for hijacking this thread- New Tandy 10 Thread...

Sorry for hijacking this thread- New Tandy 10 Thread...

Hi folks.

Sorry to barge in here and hijack your thread.

I've started a new thread in:

The Vintage Computer Forums > Genres > Tandy/Radio Shack > Tandy 10 Business Computer

You can jump to it with this link:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showpost.php?p=20310&postcount=1

Please jump over to the thread and add your thoughts, comments, and questions.

Thanks!

Need Help with ADDS Console 980

Need Help with ADDS Console 980

Is there an emultator available for the ADDS Console 980? or does anybody have any information about the graphics set? I have figured out the keyboard mapping but need help with graphics?

I realize this is a very old thread, but I have an ADDS Consul 580 terminal, that I'd be willing to sell it if anyone was interested.

I purchased it 30 years ago as surplus, it's been in dry storage since, it's in very good condition and working.

Back