• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage and New, togeather!

Vlad

My personal machine is somewhat Highend. I just thought it was funny I can put a 5.25 inch floppy drive and the BIOS on a Motherboard that has a AMD Athlon 64 3400+ will still accept it. AND Windows XP Pro will still use 5.25 floppies. I'm also typing this with my IBM Model M keyboard hooked up to it. Strange how my High end Rig still accpets stuff all the way back to 360k 5.25 floppies and the infamous IBM Model M keyboards. I freaking love this keyboard, even though it is a little loud. But thats the fun of having spring loaded mechanical keys.....

-VK

Indeed, I have one in all my newer comps..lol
Oh, I forgot to show ya'll this.
I installed a P4 2.4GHz/1GB ram system inside this premier 200 case. Oringially had a 2MHz G2 setup, but a bad PSU killed it.

Here it is, running ubuntu linux.
It has stock 5.25in fdd, but I needed something a tad larger than it's stock 20MB seagate..lol
I put a little 40GB in it for now, I am getting a 160GB soon for it though.
The back is cut to accomidate a 320watt micro psu, atx mainboard(micro), but the slots are aligned to use cards, I drilled and set risers for the board.
Took a lot of cutting with a grinder to get it right..lol
I am using the external iomega cd-rw for a cd-rom.
Pardon the redish stuff on the spacebar and front of the pc, I spilled cool aid this morning, and it looks like some droplets got away.

Last edited:
atari2600a said:
Why? There's an open drive bay right there!

Two reasons.
One, a cd drive would make it look too new, I want it to look like a premier 200, premiers 200s never had cd-roms.
Two, the metal case is 13in deep, and the board is 10in deep. There is only 3in before a drive to hit the atx power connector.
So it would look stupid to have one in there and it would be impossible...lol

I sleep in all the time, & I usually get punished for it!

Anyone see that Atari 800 case that someone put a PC inside? I forget what site it was at (go to images.google.com & search "atari 800 hack"), but It was really slick! This should be of interest to anyone who's interested in case modding like this! (This=original thread post)

I always thought it was neat putting newer stuff into the cases of Vintage stuff. Like the guy who made a PC out of an Atari 2600 case. That was kewl.....

-VK

alexkerhead said:
Wow, that guys stuff is amazing. Why isn't he designing for sony or something?

What, Ben's (Guy whom site I just recently hyperlinked) stuff? Well He is an independant-film-maker/Author/Inventor/guy, wouldn't that seem fuffiling enough?

By the way, here's a photo of that PS2/2600 unit:
Combo_main.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, I got a good sleeper myself, been my main computer for the last 5 years, and about to be upgraded to a 1GHz CPU in a few days.......some of you have seen this before in earlier iterations...

gemfullimage.jpg

The Vintage Part
---------------------------------------------
1986 "Compaq Deskpro 8086/286/386 Clone Chassis"
POwer Supply Casing is from an old 230 Watt Magitronic AT PSU
Original front Bezel is installed, Digital Readout and control panel from a 486 installed
Compaq Deskpro 286 Slot cover where the 5.25" drive would be (just like the OEM slot cover, except black, not beige)
Lots of scratches, yellowing, aging, dents, dings, and even magic marker stains
Old Microspeed PC-TRAC Serial Trackball (used on the only DB-9 Serial port on the board)
Old Northgate Computer Systems Omnikey 102 AT keyboard (cable runs through case to the back from the 5-pin DIN socket to an adapter that changes it to PS/2 in back).
Alternates between a LAserJet 4L and a DeskJet 855C depending upon task (both old, the 855C won't even do more than 256 colors in printout!!)

The New Part
----------------------------------------------
Gateway Essential 550C Backplane and PSU guts in PSU casing
Radio Shack "Big Red Button" for the power on/off (where the paddle switch used to be)
Sony 1.44M 3.5" Floppy Drive in repainted vintage drive bay adapter
DVD-ROM (16X) and DVD-RW (8X) Drives installed
40 GB ATA-133 Hard Disk Drive, RedHat FC2 and Win98SE installed
512MB of PC-100/133 SDRAM
Pentium "Coppermine" 666.667 MHz CPU (soon to be upgraded to a 1 GHz CPU, the new heatsink and fan are visible int he photo)
Blue LED Case Fan In Back (which has a practical purpose, to light up the ports back there for hot swapping USB devices)
Samsung 710MP TV Monitor, which explains why there's an N64 in the photo
NVIDIA GeForce MX4000 PCI 64MB 3-D Adapter (it hates DOS games though)

The first time some friends saw this thing, they just pointed and laughed at my constant refusal to "upgrade" my case, then I turned it on, and that was all over!

What's funny is the CPU is the last thing I'm upgrading, because, it seems it'll run just about darn near ANYTHING satisfactory. I've made videos with it, recorded large instrumental arrangements with it, play high end 3-D games with it, I need a P4 my eye!

Back