• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8" disk drives

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I have a couple of 8" disk drives available.

These are fairly standard drives but I don't think they are working. I'm selling them as display units for your home or office.

They really do make fun conversation pieces - I've got one in my office!

$10 plus shipping.

PM me if interested.

Computer Collector said:
What Computer Are They For?

Well, if it's just some loose drives, they're for whatever system you can jack 'em into (provided you can supply appropriate power (24v.) to 'em). I've kept one of da SSSD, full-height onez around too, for the same purpose...conversation piece.

--T

I thought disk systems were not all compatable. Are you saying that I can hook up a modern 3-1/2" drive to my trs-80 if I wanted to and it would work?
and I could use these 8" drives with my new windows based computer? The reason I ask this is because Ira at trs-80.com once told me that TRS-80 drives must be "tempered" for Trs (or something to that effect)
Just curious, how many Kilobytes do 8" disks hold? (A double sided 5-1/4" disk can hold almost as much as a 3-1/2" disk.)
If they dont wok though, I probably wont want to buy one, anyway.

Yes, a number of people have installed double-density 3.5" drives in thier Model IVs. And, some people have 8" drives hung off thier Windows machines. As for capacity, the 8" varies from around 100K up to 1.2Mb, depending on formatting, sides, & density. The how-tos can be found by web search.

--T

One drive is gone. One is left.

They make a great conversation piece at the office! :D

Back