Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas Instruments

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Zenith/Heathkit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stripped my TRS-80 'collection' down to bare-bonez. I have the 4P, a Model III (for running tape-based software), and a Model 100. I do have a few Tandy-badged items too, as well as an LNW-80 (TRS-80 clone).

--T

For me, I have no interest in owning/having access to more items than I can semi-regularly use or at least look at. Maybe I'm lacking the true Collector gene in my DNA. The only reason I could find for renting a storage room was if I got ahold of a large amount of stuff (e.g. the PET stuff), and knew that within reasonable time I could sell off everything I don't want to keep. But then again, I'm lacking the true Trader gene in my DNA as well... I have a small fragment of the Programmer gene, a bit of the User gene and occassionally a hint of the Gamer gene.

Do you think there are more distinct vintage computing/video gamer genes than those five? The Hardware or Repair gene, the Documenter gene .. maybe there even is a Social gene somewhere? That would make it eight.

If there's distinct gamer genes, then I have the Point-&-Click Adventure gene & the Puzzle Gene. Of course the Sonic & Mario genes go w/o mention. (everyone has those)

lol, in general I have the platformer gene and the adventure gene. Some sub-categorised genes; I have the Oblivion gene and the MGS Gene, although I think my MGS2 gene is recessive...Man that game was crap (IMHO).

On topic, however, I agree with Carlsson. If I have so much stuff, I can't enjoy using it, why should I have it? although I can understand just wanting something to complete/futher your collection

I do enjoy playing with all my toyz, at least on an occaisional basis. I spend a lot of time rotating stuph around. My living room right now has about five vintage systems set up, and a handful of not-so-vintage items. My bedroom also has at least eight systems in running condition (all laptops). I currently have three systems in my truck which are 'in transit', waiting to go to storage to make room for other stuph I feel like playing with this week.

--T

Terry Yager said:
I think one of the most important genes is the 'PackRat' gene, which prevents one from ever throwing anything away (just in case ya might need it...someday).

--T

I have that gene, & the worst part about it is when someone else throws something away!

But is PackRat a distinct gene, or a variation of the Collector gene? I figure today a lot of people have a combination of the Collector and Trader genes, with a bit of PackRat behavior shoed in.

Often it is brand specific too; one can be a collector of the system you like best, but can packrat other stuff (e.g. IBM) only for trading with. In particular if other people tend to have the items you want, but themselves are collecting something else. It becomes old-fashioned exchange trade, pretty much like how the trading phase in the board game Civilization (gosh, that was many years ago I played) works. One bronze, one fur and one hidden for two grain and that stupid calamity you probably have on your hand?

No, I think packrat is a seperate gene, although it can co-exist with the collector & trader genes. Packrats save everything, whether it's of any value or not, like the guy I know who has about 20 years of unread newspapers stacked up all over his place. This same guy has a fetish for women's shoes, and has hundreds of them around too. He's constantly prowling around thrift stores, looking for stuff. He bought a new Ford Fiesta a few years ago, and immediately removed all but the driver's seats, so he could haul more stuff home in it.

--T

atari2600a said:
I have that gene, & the worst part about it is when someone else throws something away!

Oh, yes, thats the worst! Because I never can get to throw away their dead body afterwards, and that is a nuisance :D

If all the shoes are of the same size, he only needs to find a woman of the right size who also is a shoe fetishist. Then he can give her a present every week, or let her move in and wear the shoes under the condition they still belong to him.

From time to time, I read about couples where both share an interest in vintage computing or video games, and that each collect different systems. Sometimes maybe one half gets the interest from the other, but sometimes it is the reason they met. I'm not entirely sure heterogenous collecting is good, as in the worst case it will require twice the space as if they had working on a collection together. On the other hand, if a couple splits up, it is much easier to know what is mine and what is yours.

One of the guys who arranged the retro gaming/swap meet recently is a collector of medium size, and his woman had been heard on radio (!) that they didn't even have closet space for clothes due to his computer stuff took up so much space. Then during the meet, there was too much vintage goodies for her to resist the temptation, so within a week she had bought a small horseload of items on her own. I suppose they have even less space for clothes now.. I told her she can't complain on radio anymore.

carlsson said:
It becomes old-fashioned exchange trade, pretty much like how the trading phase in the board game Civilization (gosh, that was many years ago I played) works. One bronze, one fur and one hidden for two grain and that stupid calamity you probably have on your hand?

I never had the chance to play the board game Civilization, but I did play the computer version of that game "Advanced Civilization" many many moons ago... (And I *don't* mean the Sid Meier game of the same name!) :) This one was by Avalon Hill.

Cheers,

80sFreak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back