• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC 6300 Revival

noir

Skipping the boring details, I got a hold of a an AT&T PC-6300 a few months back I'm still trying to find a monitor for it. If any one has suggestions for where I might be able to find one or how I could rig a different display to work with it, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Ah, bad memories! I used to have one of those, & my dad threw it away!

If I still had it, I'd be able to remember what kind of hardware it had & be able to help you...

If I remember correctly mine had an (EGA?) card... either way, I remember it was on a card & not built into the mobo. Check the cards on the mobo for words like "EGA" "CGA" "VGA" "Mono", you know, words like that...

Thanks for the input. I'll have to get the guts up to crack the case open (I'm so worried about permanently damaging it) and take a look.

Don't worry about it, I cracked this system open when I was 9! (& little to no knowledge of computer hardware) There's nothing connected to the top, no valueble warrantee seals or stickers...

However, if you're that concerned about opening it, you can do some research on what video card this machine came w/, but then there's the chance that a previous owner (assuming you're not the original owner) replaced it...

Unless there is something strange about this machine, you should just be able to drop an 8-bit VGA card into it and use a modern monitor. A lot of the early 16-bit VGA cards do support an 8-bit bus with some jumper adjustments.

There was quite a bit "strange" about the 6300.
For one thing, I think the monitor was powered from the video cable.
It had a weird 25 pin video connector that could be mistaken for an "IBM" parallel port.

There should be quite a bit of info on the 6300 elsewhere on the web. I'd do a little research first.

Very strange indeed. The expansion slot is not IBM PC-compatible. There is a switch (jumper?) on the mainboard to disable the on-board video, but a replacement EGA, etc board has to be one made especially for the 6300.

--T

Ah, yes, NOW I remember! It wasn't the monitor that was on a card, it was a joystick (or maybe parrallel/printer) port that I first mistaken for the video card! (It could've also been the laser mouse card that came w/ it; can't remember)

I'm sure there's some diagram on the internet showing how to build an adapter. As for buying ports for building one, Radio Shack is your friend. (though they overprice everything they sell)

the sync freakwenceez of the 6300 is similar to a Tandy 2000, NEC APC III, and I think that freako card in the Televideo Telecat. The monitor takes 24vdc IIRC from the connector. But if you found a different suitable monitor, or an early Multisync (NEC?) you could just ignore that stuph and utilize the sync pins and also the id pins. I posted something over a year ago when I first joined. I still have the tattered magazine clipping that explains the pin functions if that old post isn't descriptive enough.

Back