• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

An SX-64 or Apple IIc

USSEnterprise

Experienced Member
Looking for a (semi) portable computer for my robotics club. I need something to learn ASM on, but I want something with a retro feel. If you've got anything, let me know.

I'd rather not deal with the tiny LCD display, but if nothing else comes up, I might take you up on your offer. The reason I chose the computers I did is because I'm already familiar with them

It has a built in floppy drive? Damn...

Well, still, you'd have to drag along a switch box & (Maybe) a TV. Whereas SX-64 is an all in one unit.

Of course if you need a computer w/ a good selection of software, the IIc would probobly be your best bet...

What do you need a portable computer for anyways?

atari2600a said:

Well, still, you'd have to drag along a switch box & (Maybe) a TV. Whereas SX-64 is an all in one unit.

Of course if you need a computer w/ a good selection of software, the IIc would probobly be your best bet...

...for my robotics club...

I'm assuming sum'n semi-portable for lugging to the meetings...

--T

Napoleon Dynamite: "Lucky!"

I wish someone forced me to learn Assembly...

(Especially 6502 ASM, so I could easily learn NES Assembly, & then program NES games & stuff...)

USSEnterprise said:
I need to be able to bring it to robotics and practice asm. Thats all my instructor wants me doing is reading, writing, thinking, and breathing asm.

What flavor of AL are you focusing on? ...8080? ...Z80?? ...6502??? ...other?

--T

other. Its a BASIC stamp chip, but somehow, our last programmer was using asm to talk between the microprocessor and the rest of the machine, and the basic for the computer-to-computer interfacing

atari2600a said:

You don't need a switch box for a IIc (not that you need a switch box for any classic system that formerly required one anyway). It uses composite video. One cable, no audio, since it's internal. The only thing bad with the IIc is the fact that the external power supply is rather bulky, but in reality it would fit fine in most modern laptop bags.

An SX-64 is pretty great, but they can be quite expensive to acquire. They're usually in the $125+ range (sometimes $200), not counting shipping. Also, the keyboard connection is kind of a pain, as is the keyboard itself (SX64 users are almost always on the lookout for more keyboards). Still, it is a neat system, thoguh I prefer to use my other Commodore systems over it for the most part (RAM expansions tend not to play friendly with it since the power supply is internal and can't easily be replaced).

I have a pair of SX-64s, one in good shape, one missing the cover and handle (but it powers on!) - I also have one keyboard but no keyboard cable. That's kind of frustrating because even though it's DB25 the cables I have are not skinny enough at the plug end to fit!

I think we discussed this before, and the general consensus from earlier Usenet messages was that with a bit of filework or other tweaking, the connector of a full connected DB25 cable could be made to fit.

Back