• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stand-up arcade cabinets

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I've got a friend who has a few stand-up arcade cabinets to get rid of. I'm told that they are mostly stripped and have been out in the elements for a bit so condition is going to be dicey. They will be fed to a bonfire in the next couple of months if they aren't rescued. . .

Can anyone direct me to a list or group of people who might be interested in these? They'd have to pick them up in the SF Bay Area - obviously these can't be easily shipped.

I'll have digital pictures in the next few days. . .

Thanks,

Are they for free?

I'd be interested, but to drive to San Jose (or actually have someone ELSE drive me to San Jose) It'd take 2 hours there & back (Combined), & it'd cost at least $30 in gas money...

EDIT: I still might be interested though :D

Last edited:
I'm actually in the the process of buying an old 45RPM jukebox, and I've got the four pinball machines, and I live 3,000 miles away. Otherwise, I'd take 'em. Post about it on the byoac.com forums

Do you know what games the cabinets used to contain? You know, to get an idea of cabinet art & shape...

(I'd REALLY Be interested if one was a Williams cabinet (You know, like Defender))

My major concern would be the condition after having been expozed to the elements. Most cabinets are built from plywood or beaver-board, neither one of which can survive much in the way of foul weather.

--T

Oh, BTW...Bonfires are kewl, too. I'd throw a badly-weathered arcade cabinet onto a good bonfire any day! (Way kewler than an old chair or a six-month-old Christmas Tree)...

--T

Rain would probobly warp the wood a little (Mainly areas of exposed wood, such as the bottom, the edges/corners, & the switch hole on the top), but not to the extent of being unusable. Sunlight would probobly fade the paint. Wind & dirt wouldn't do anything, & it doesn't snow in the Bay Area (As far as I know)...

EDIT: Do you have pics yet Erik?

Yeah, it's that swelling/moisture absorbtion around the edges that I'd be concerned about (specially with beaver-board). Course, some of the bonfire/keggerz I've been to, if you threw a PacMan or similar into the flamez, you'd be the 'Life of da Party' from that point on...

--T

<Singing, off-key...scrubbin' a warshboard, out of time...>

Throw another chair on daFire,
Cook me up some bacon & some beanz.
Go out to daCar & lift daHood & kick daTyrez,
Then tell me, baby, why you're leavin' me...

--T

Last edited:
OK, I know you're a mod, but you've really crossed the unwritten line w/ that post! I'm STRICTLY Non-alcoholic. The same goes w/ tobacco & drugs!

Do you know what it's like to explain to your mother (of 4) what a Placenta is!? To explain what atoms are to an aunt!? To live having to know my great grandmother is taken care of by her abusive pot-head son!? To have my father teach me how to spell my name, INCORRECTLY, when I am 4!? To have to explain to the kids on the bus why using 2 condoms is worse!?

I've made an unspoken vow to stay as far away from all that "Party" "bonfire" "keggerz" sh!t, in hopes of not ending up like my surroundings, & escaping from this chaos I call a life! (So far, it's working)

Last edited:
Oh, I appologize sincerely. While I have no knowledge of your life, I only tried to convey a little of the good timez of my own youth. It is very heroic of you to choose the 'Light Side', and avoid the Dark. (I do have some experience with the difficultiez of 'pulling oneself up by one'z own bootstraps')...

--T

atari2600a said:
I'm STRICTLY Non-alcoholic.
It is probably a wise choice, if you take into account what certain bars mix into their drinks when the alcohol taxes are too high for their liking. Today it was found that a bar on Gotland, the biggest island in Sweden, has spiked their liquors. The police took custody of a few bottles of vodka and gin, and after analysis, they found traces of propylen glycol, amyl alcohol, bensyl alcolhol and isopropyl alcohol. These alcohols belong to solvents, disinfection, detergents and other stuff. Isopropyl alcohol is great to clean tone heads and circuit boards, but not something I'd like in my Saturday night drink. Needless to say, that particular place does not longer have a permit to serve alcohol, but one wonders how many people have got sick.

atari2600a said:
So...Erik, do you have photos of those cabinets yet?

Nope, not yet :(

Still waiting for them and sent a reminder email the other day. . .

Don't have the photos!?

drphil.gif

kpsellout.jpg

sadfed.jpg

(sorry about that, I just haven't had the chance to use 2 of those photos ever yet & I was waiting for an excuse to use them...)

Last edited:
Back