• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Letter to my US neighbours and relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
These are terrible times. The US has become the state that many of us feared they would become without the counterweight of the Soviet Union. Not that the Soviet Union was a force for democracy or justice, but that they contended for the approval of the world's people.

Without contestation, the US has become the new Romans. They support and impose their majesty on any nation that impedes their imperial aims. With "Democracy" as their war-cry they invade any nation that will not bow to their aims, which is not democracy but subservience. Their "New World Order" is simply a catch-phrase for imposing an imperial regime on the world. They stand for the impoverishment and subservience of all peoples for the enrichment of the US. The decimation of Lebanon by the theocratic terrorist state of Israel, maintained economically and militarily supplied by the US is only the beginning. Syria is the eventual target by the most powerful military regime in the mid-east, which also has atomic bombs, Israel.

The only thing that has impeded US imperialist designs is the heroism of the Afghani and Iraqi people. Had they achieved an easy victory oil-rich Iran would have been an easier target, sandwiched as it is between Afghanistan and Iraq. Close by is also the repressive US client-state of Saudi Arabia. But puppet states are not easy to establish.

And of course there is also the countries such as Venezuela, the 3rd largest supplier of oil to the US who is using oil revenues to help their people, rather than enriching big US oil corporations, not to mention Cuba which has been a thorn mainly because they defied American might because the people supported the government, nor Bolivia which has defied the US and would use oil revenues to raise their people above impoverishment. These people can thank the Iraqui insurgents, otherwise they would likely be invaded, like Guatamala so many years ago. Or Grenada, or Haiti, or the Dominican Republic, or Chile under the supervision of the CIA, or Nicarauga by Oliver North, and so many other countries.

The "Empire" is getting short of troops for it's nefarious ventures and has to use clever techniques to recruit new troops and will likely resort again to the draft. And black america will once again provide the stuff of body-bags while receiving the least of the benefits, as shown once more in the devastation of the gulf of Mexico and as Haliburton, a major company rebuililding Iraq, rebuilds New Orleans black neighborhoods with luxury hotels for tourists.

Someplace I keep thinking America will say "Enough, enough" but I keep hearing fundamentalists thirsting for blood which isn't Christian.

As the poem goes "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper". I can only hope there is more to the American psyche than this.

Hopefully the american people are waking up and are no longer willing to fight for the profits of corporations cloaking themselves as patriots. "The Rights of Man"by Thomas Paine, one of the great fathers of the American Revolution should be a required readings in schools to counter all the crap that now seems endemic and accepted across this once great country. Lack of dilligence was why Hitler gained power in Germany. Forgetfullness of the values which formed your country is why the US seems destined to the same fate.

Since at this time the US is embroiled in an imperial war, which like in Viet-Nam they will not win and there is an immense deficit of $3 trillion, one can only imagine a bad outcome which WILL affect the American people. A collapse of the US and world economy. Perhaps the US populace will wake up before this happens and somehow manage to turn things around.

As a canadian, whose parents were born in the US, and will also suffer from this US folly, I can only hope that the original beliefs of the constitution of the US will once again resurface and reject the birthing of a fascist America.

Lawrence

Perhaps Canada would be more inviting to a US invasion than the countries in the Middle East are. The former Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau (1968-1979, 1980-1984) is credited with in 1969 describing the Canadian-US relations as "sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

When it comes to Cuba, good ol' Fidel is now in a hospital. He's soon turning the big 80, but temporarily put his little brother in charge. The brother is just 75 years old. I heard quite a lot of exile Cubans cheer the news and hope it will make a big difference, but don't the other communists in Castro's regime share his views and are ready to take over the day he goes to his last sleep? I heard the Venezuelan head of state had wished Fidel a good recovery and may he live forever. I strongly doubt that will happen though.

Over to the Middle East, I heard that some Arabic countries that at first condemned Hizbollah, have begun to change their views from them being terrorists to more of a (Lebanese) liberty organisation. On radio they spoke to a Lebanese guy who just had returned home after some time studying in the US, and he was certain if people in the US just learned what Hizbollah truly wants to achieve, they would think positive as well. Maybe he was brain-washed or just overly patriotic, but USA + Israel could get a very nasty war on their hands if all the other countries (Egypt, Syria, Iran, maybe even Jordan and Saudi-Arabia etc) would turn against them at the same time. They may be paper tigers one on one, but five paper tigers attacking from one direction each is not so easy to master.

L.,

Shhhh! Don't give Dubya an excuse to invade Canadia! Our military is streched too thinly already. Your comments warrant at the very least a visit from the BlackHelicopterz. If they do come to disappear ya, have the pilot swing by my place so I can say goodbye, my friend.

--T

Last edited:
Micom 2000 said:
These are terrible times. The US has become the state that many of us feared they would become without the counterweight of the Soviet Union. Not that the Soviet Union was a force for democracy or justice, but that they contended for the approval of the world's people.

Excuse me? The Soviet Union "contended for the approval of the world's people"? The communist bloc had to put up barbed wire to keep people in! Where disagreeing with the state got you 9 millimeter hole in the back of the head? Please. However, if by "Contended for the approval of the world's people" you mean propagandized among ivory tower academics and weak minded leftists you might be right.

Micom 2000 said:
Without contestation, the US has become the new Romans. They support and impose their majesty on any nation that impedes their imperial aims. With "Democracy" as their war-cry they invade any nation that will not bow to their aims, which is not democracy but subservience. Their "New World Order" is simply a catch-phrase for imposing an imperial regime on the world.

Oh, how clever, America is the New Roman empire. Can't daft leftists think up anything new? Are you even slightly aware of the history of the Roman empire?

When has the US sown the ruins of a nation with salt after we have defeated them, As the Romans did to Carthage after the last Punic war? Last time I checked, my taxes were building schools, power plants and roads in Afghanistan and Iraq. When has the US looted the religious treasures of a nation as the Romans did after the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 AD?

Did the US line the roads leading to Baghdad with crucified women and children as the Romans did to Jerusalem after the revolt?

Were the Iraqis so terrified of American soldiers that they committed mass suicide including women and children as the Jews surrounded at Masada did before the Romans could capture them?

When I hear someone comparing the US to Imperial Rome It lets me know two things, They slept through history class and they absorbed to much Marxism in their freshman poli-sci class.

Micom 2000 said:
They stand for the impoverishment and subservience of all peoples for the enrichment of the US.

Yep, that's us, greedy Americans. America wants all of your wealth and we want you to kiss our feet while you're at it.

Micom 2000 said:
The decimation of Lebanon by the theocratic terrorist state of Israel, maintained economically and militarily supplied by the US is only the beginning. Syria is the eventual target by the most powerful military regime in the mid-east, which also has atomic bombs, Israel.

Ahh, yes we've gotten to Israel. Yes, Israel has nuclear weapons. However, Israel isn't a theocracy. Israel is a democracy. Its the only democracy in the whole stinking area. Israel has Arab Muslim citizens. In fact the two soldiers that Hezbollah captured, starting this shitstorm, are Druze not Jewish. Druze are offshoots of Shia Islam. Hmm, imagine that, Muslim soldiers fighting for "theocratic" "terrorist" Israel.

While we are on Theocracies, do you mind telling me what "Hezbollah" translates to? It means "Party of God" Now, do you mind telling me who the nascent Theocracy is? Who supports Hezbollah again? Oh that's right, Iran and Syria. You remember Iran, just last year they executed two young gay men who were caught having sex. They also hanged a girl who was raped for not "defending her honour strongly enough."

Is Israel a repressive Theocracy? Well, they cancelled the annual gay pride parade in Jerusalem. Then again that was because they were afraid some suicide bomber nutjob would blow it up.

Micom 2000 said:
The only thing that has impeded US imperialist designs is the heroism of the Afghani and Iraqi people. Had they achieved an easy victory oil-rich Iran would have been an easier target, sandwiched as it is between Afghanistan and Iraq. Close by is also the repressive US client-state of Saudi Arabia. But puppet states are not easy to establish.

The first thing this statement tells me is that someone either doesn't understand the definition of imperialism or perhaps they learned it from their little red book. When Britain took over control of India in the 1840's, that was imperialism. When Japan took over Manchuria in the 1930's, that was imperialism. Yes, the US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, unlike the British or Japanes and their "colonies" we intend to leave as soon as we can.

Ahh, yes Saudi Arabia, the US "client state" that hasn't had any US troops in it since 2003. The country where the vast majority of the 9/11 hijackers came from. But I bet you consider those guys brave freedom fighters too. No, wait, lemme guess, you believe Bush, Cheney, Halliburton and the Mossad blew up the towers to facilitate a war?

Micom 2000 said:
And of course there is also the countries such as Venezuela, the 3rd largest supplier of oil to the US who is using oil revenues to help their people, rather than enriching big US oil corporations, not to mention Cuba which has been a thorn mainly because they defied American might because the people supported the government, nor Bolivia which has defied the US and would use oil revenues to raise their people above impoverishment. These people can thank the Iraqui insurgents, otherwise they would likely be invaded, like Guatamala so many years ago. Or Grenada, or Haiti, or the Dominican Republic, or Chile under the supervision of the CIA, or Nicarauga by Oliver North, and so many other countries.

Now we are on to Venezuela and Hugo Chavez. Or as Fidel Castro likes to call him, Mini-me. Chavez is currently in the process of turning a fairly well developed country into the same kind of 3rd world shithole that Cuba is now. I assure you the US won't invade, we wouldn't need to even if we wanted to. Chavez is going to scare off all the foreign capital and will have his Bolivarian paradise of beggars and uneducated peasants scrabbling in the ruins that only a communist command economy can produce. Think Ukraine, 1930's. (You'll probably have to look that one up.)

Micom 2000 said:
The "Empire" is getting short of troops for it's nefarious ventures and has to use clever techniques to recruit new troops and will likely resort again to the draft. And black america will once again provide the stuff of body-bags while receiving the least of the benefits, as shown once more in the devastation of the gulf of Mexico and as Haliburton, a major company rebuililding Iraq, rebuilds New Orleans black neighborhoods with luxury hotels for tourists.

Ahh, this old chestnut, "America uses black troops as cannon fodder." Well, pal, I hate to tell you this, but the majority of US infantry troops, Marine Corps and Army both, are white kids, looking for adventure. Yes, there are blacks and hispanics serving honorably and bravely in infantry units too, but many, if not most minorities join the military to learn technical skills and are in units that don't see combat. Your comment reveals a profound lack of knowledge of the US military and race relations in the US in general.

Micom 2000 said:
Someplace I keep thinking America will say "Enough, enough" but I keep hearing fundamentalists thirsting for blood which isn't Christian.

Ah yes, those bloodthirsty fundamentalists. Why just last week I heard Jerry Falwell suggest we topple stone walls over on homosexuals to kill them. Oh, wait, I'm sorry that was the Taliban. Well, Still, Pat Robertson said that we should destroy synagogues and mosques. No, that was Ayman al-Zawahiri and he was talking about churches and synagogues.

The only fundamentalists thirsting for blood are in the middle east and they mostly wear turbans or a keffiyeh. Jerry Falwell can't even get a good head of steam going about Hurricane Katrina being a judgement of God before he's shouted down by his co-religionists. Every time I hear the comparison of an evangelical Christian to a Taliban coming out of the mouth of a lefty, it only lets me see their ignorance and group-think.

Micom 2000 said:
As the poem goes "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper". I can only hope there is more to the American psyche than this.

And when I read drivel like this it makes me wonder about the Canadian psyche. What happened to the psyche of the people who stormed the majority of the beaches at Normandy and fought fascism from hedgerow to hedgrow beside their American and British cousins? What happened to the grandchildren of the Canadians who fought in Flanders field? How did they degenerate to the point where many left-wing Canadians take their greatest pride in simply not being Americans, yet pule about us as they hide in our shadow from the middle-eastern nihilists determined to destroy western civilization and replace it with an Islamic death-cult.

Micom 2000 said:
Hopefully the american people are waking up and are no longer willing to fight for the profits of corporations cloaking themselves as patriots. "The Rights of Man"by Thomas Paine, one of the great fathers of the American Revolution should be a required readings in schools to counter all the crap that now seems endemic and accepted across this once great country. Lack of dilligence was why Hitler gained power in Germany. Forgetfullness of the values which formed your country is why the US seems destined to the same fate.

It seems to me the country more likely to fall into fascism is Canada. All the ingredients are there. Weak governments, governmental corruption, seperatist groups, large non-integrated blocs of foreigners, populist politicians preaching economic redistibution and then pointing over the border to explain all of their problems. Let me know how you like Canuckistan. It is coming.

Micom 2000 said:
Since at this time the US is embroiled in an imperial war, which like in Viet-Nam they will not win and there is an immense deficit of $3 trillion, one can only imagine a bad outcome which WILL affect the American people. A collapse of the US and world economy. Perhaps the US populace will wake up before this happens and somehow manage to turn things around.

For the US to be embroiled in an imperial war, we would have to have an Emperor, like the Japanese did in 1930 or as the Brits titled Good Queen Vic in the 1800's. Like him or not, in January, 2009 George Bush wil give up his office and he will be replaced by his elected successor as the US has done continuously for over 200 years. Seriously dude, when you use imperial as an adjective in relation to the US it lets everyone know you studied Das Kapital far too long and intensely your freshman year.

Micom 2000 said:
As a canadian, whose parents were born in the US, and will also suffer from this US folly, I can only hope that the original beliefs of the constitution of the US will once again resurface and reject the birthing of a fascist America.

Lawrence

As an American with many Canadian friends and neighbours I hope that Canada can wake up from its bizarre flirtation with political correctness bordering on newspeak and its holier-than-thou attitude towards its neighbour to the south. I hope Canada can get back to its roots as a sensible, strong country that the West can count on. I hope Canada doesn't become a country of doped up hippies in birkenstock and Che Guevara t-shirts firmly convinced the US and Israel are evil because we defend ourselves, and by extension them, from the true tyranny of the new century, Islamo-fascism

Dennis

PS. I know that Erik put this category here, but posts like Micom's, calculated to piss people off are not conducive to discussing and working on vintage computers. If you want to post crap like this please do it it on Indymedia or Democratic Underground or whatever the Canadian analogue for rabid moonbattery is.

Last edited:
@Micom 2000

Do not label our great country as Bad when you speak simply of "the US". Our country is as beautiful and diverse as all of Europe, and Asia. Our citizens are caring, hard-working, and enjoy getting the most out of life. Our system of government CAN WORK. It just happens to not be doing so at the moment. It is what is wrong in America! The 2 party system doesn't work well, as all of the independents here can vouch for. Either get a strong single party, or multiple (as in more than 2!) parties which completely represent people's beliefs. Our government has their own agenda, they are not listening at all to the US citizens. I mean, look, Bush's approval rating is like.... what? 35% or something? That's horrible! I would at least hope with the 2 party system, his approval rating would be at least 50%! The "United States" ( a term to use caution with now because of all the bickering between the individual state's... you guessed it, governments!) armed forces numbers are dwindling due to the population's disapproval for our military endeavors. In case you haven't noticed, I am unhappy with what the US Government, and not "the US" is doing right now, and I can't wait for a change in our government. *cough**cough* Bush *cough*must go now*cough*

Oh, and a quote by George Washington to finish this off. Just change Europe to "the Middle East" while you read...

"Why forego the advantages of so peculiar a situation?--Why quit our own to stand upon foreign ground?--Why by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and prosperity in the toils of European ambition, rivalship, interest, humour or caprice? "

I thought you have more than two parties, only that the other ones play marginalized roles. How to change this, I don't know. Having a lot of established parties with anything from 4% to 50% of the votes, doesn't neccessarily improve the situation. They will try to follow their manifesto, and occasionally let through a fresh idea or view. You as the voter may agree on one issue but strongly disagree on the next, leaving you to pick the least bad party out of a dozen, of which only half will get enough votes to make it to the parliament.

tgunner said:
@Micom 2000

Do not label our great country as Bad when you speak simply of "the US". Our country is as beautiful and diverse as all of Europe, and Asia. Our citizens are caring, hard-working, and enjoy getting the most out of life. Our system of government CAN WORK. It just happens to not be doing so at the moment. It is what is wrong in America! The 2 party system doesn't work well, as all of the independents here can vouch for. Either get a strong single party, or multiple (as in more than 2!) parties which completely represent people's beliefs.

Begging the pardon of the shade of Will Rogers, Our system of government is the worst in the world, except for all the other rest. The US system of government is the longest lasting most stable democracy on the face of the planet. Our constitution is over 200 years old. To suggest that any other form of government might be better is to ignore the facts. France for instance is on it's 5th iteration of republican government since 1789. The newest constitution being younger than some members posting here.

If you dislike the gridlock of a two party system just wait till you see a parliamentary system with literally hundreds of parties. Italy for instance. Nothing.gets.done.ever. Imagine dozens of elections where a prime minister can't be chosen because the vote is too fragmented and the parties too stubborn to form a coalition, forcing another seemingly endless series of votes.

That is the fate of parliamentary systems. The US system with divided Judicial, Legislative and Executive branches and its balance of powers between them prevents crap like that.

tgunner said:
Our government has their own agenda, they are not listening at all to the US citizens. I mean, look, Bush's approval rating is like.... what? 35% or something? That's horrible! I would at least hope with the 2 party system, his approval rating would be at least 50%! The "United States"

I voted for the guy twice and I am currently unhappy with him. That being said, if he would reign in the rampant spending by members of his party in Congress and do something other than kiss Vicente Fox's tuchas in response to our border problem with Mexico, I would just about guarantee his ratings would hit 55% George Bush's problem right now is that he is trying to please all of the people all of the time (at least the ones within his own party)I'll also remind you that Bill Clinton also dipped this low in his presidency.

tgunner said:
armed forces numbers are dwindling due to the population's disapproval for our military endeavors.

Don't believe the hype. The US Army EXCEEDED its re-enlistment quotas by 7% last year. Organizations seeing heavy fighting, like the 101st Airborne have near total re-enlistment. The USMC is seeing similar numbers.

tgunner said:
In case you haven't noticed, I am unhappy with what the US Government, and not "the US" is doing right now, and I can't wait for a change in our government. *cough**cough* Bush *cough*must go now*cough*

And in January of 2009 he will.

tgunner said:
Oh, and a quote by George Washington to finish this off. Just change Europe to "the Middle East" while you read...

"Why forego the advantages of so peculiar a situation?--Why quit our own to stand upon foreign ground?--Why by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and prosperity in the toils of European ambition, rivalship, interest, humour or caprice? "

I'm not one to question the wisdom of George Washington. I will however, point out the obviousness of the fact that his quote was made in the context of the pointless, internecine wars between petty European princes in the 17th and 18th century for what often amounted to mere personal slights.

I'll also point out that a fellow named Joseph Goebbels used this same exact quote to make the same point to US isolationists prior to WWII. Can you imagine if we had listened to him?

carlsson said:
I thought you have more than two parties, only that the other ones play marginalized roles.

We do. However, most Americans don't want to "waste their vote" on fringe parties with little chance of gaining elective office. I believe we had a socialist in the house of representatives a few years ago.

The last mojor party to "die" in the US were the Whigs, who didn't survive the three way race for president in 1860 when Abraham Lincoln's Republicans won.

dpatton,

Thank you for your very thinkative words. As much as I love & respect L. as a brother and a friend, it is refreshing to see some balance in the 'Political' forum, which, I think, waz Erik's original intent in creating this forum. It is 'Political Discussions', after all, not 'Political Rants'. We have a whole 'nother forum dedicated to one-sided rants.

--T

I'm not opposed to political discussions on non-political boards. The problem I have is inflammatory language and baseless insinuations. Grown-ups should be able to talk and disagree without casting aspersions on the actions of the other.

The suggestion that the US is creeping toward fundamentalist fascism when people are free to burn flags or crosses or pictures of George W. Bush in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. (And I saw just that last July 4th when I was in DC) is inflammatory not to mention risible.

dpatten said:
The US system of government is the longest lasting most stable democracy on the face of the planet. Our constitution is over 200 years old. To suggest that any other form of government might be better is to ignore the facts.
And age equals superiority? Oh yes, I know this is a vintage computer forum, but most of us use our vintage computers because we like them, not because they are much better than anything newly made.

I don't know how the French constitution has changed over the years, but I'd suppose it has been updated step by step to correspond to how the society looks like and its needs. The Swedish constitution was formed 1809, but has been revised a number of times, almost yearly in small steps. Is that a sign it is a bad system to begin with, if it needs improving all the time? Yes; if you compare it to a Service Pack to fix security holes, no; if you consider it product development.

Imagine dozens of elections where a prime minister can't be chosen because the vote is too fragmented and the parties too stubborn to form a coalition, forcing another seemingly endless series of votes.
I'm not entirely updated on the Italian situation, but I think the major point was that one of the larger parties is one of discontent and hostility towards immigrants. Noone else wanted to co-operate with them, and it left the other parties scattered, making it difficult to form a government from a majority of the votes. Why did this party of discontent get so many votes in the first place? Perhaps the other parties have run politics that put the citizens in a bad situation, and the people respond with showing their discontent. So it may not be just a case of too many political parties or too low quota to get into the parliament.

How do you show discontent in the US? Can you? Do you need to? Will anyone listen to your complaints, if you have any?

carlsson said:
And age equals superiority? Oh yes, I know this is a vintage computer forum, but most of us use our vintage computers because we like them, not because they are much better than anything newly made.

I don't know how the French constitution has changed over the years, but I'd suppose it has been updated step by step to correspond to how the society looks like and its needs.

You would be wrong if you supposed there was a rational progression of French Governments. So, here's the French republics in a nutshell;

The 1st Republic [1792-1804]

This republic ended when Napolean Bonaparte seized power and proclaimed himself Emperor

Napolean's 10 years of monarchy ended in 1814.

From 1814 to about 1848 the Bourbons, the dynasty on the throne before the revolution were in power.

The 2nd Republic [1848-1852]

The nephew of Napolean was elected president. He promptly declared himself emperor ending the second republic after 4 years. he reigned until his death in 1870.

The 3rd Republic [1870-1940]

1940 tells us all we need to know about why the government fell, but not why they need to completely reconstitute the government after the war.

There were two governments between 1940 and 1947. The Vichy, Nazi collaborators and a provisional government.

The 4th Republic [1947-1958]

This government fell after civil unrest related to France being kicked out of Algeria.

The 5th Republic [1958-Present]

France, a country that initially espoused republican government just a few years after the US did has gone through 10 government types, (counting monarchies, provisional and Vichy governments)

to answer your question, no, age is evidence of superiority. :p

carlsson said:
The Swedish constitution was formed 1809, but has been revised a number of times, almost yearly in small steps. Is that a sign it is a bad system to begin with, if it needs improving all the time? Yes; if you compare it to a Service Pack to fix security holes, no; if you consider it product development.

I can't speak to the Swedish constiturion, but I can tell you that the US constitution has a method for amending the constitution that requires a proposed amendment to pass both houses of the legislature by a 2/3 majority and then ratified by 3/4 of the states. This has happened 27 times since 1791 as recently as 1992 and for things as silly as limiting pay raises to legislators and as momentous as banning slavery.

carlsson said:
I'm not entirely updated on the Italian situation, but I think the major point was that one of the larger parties is one of discontent and hostility towards immigrants. Noone else wanted to co-operate with them, and it left the other parties scattered, making it difficult to form a government from a majority of the votes. Why did this party of discontent get so many votes in the first place? Perhaps the other parties have run politics that put the citizens in a bad situation, and the people respond with showing their discontent. So it may not be just a case of too many political parties or too low quota to get into the parliament.

My point wasn't about specific Italian elections. It was a general point that the parliamentary system that chooses the executive from the party with a majority of the legislative branch is as unwieldy or even more so than the federal system that the US has.

carlsson said:
How do you show discontent in the US? Can you? Do you need to? Will anyone listen to your complaints, if you have any?

The very first amendment to the constitution covers this. Keep in mind this is from 1791, when complainig in Europe likely would result in you being shortened by a head.

It is america's most cherished freedom...

Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Last edited:
carlsson said:
Let's see, first off, there is the 1st ammendment which lets us say whatever we want about the US and it's government, but people rarely listen, or care, unless your a movie star... but that's another story. You could write to your local congress rep, who SHOULD deal with your concerns, but it seems like a lot will only do this if you your a prominent citizen, or slip the rep some cash, or "goods." There is also the whole idea of voting, but it's like... "For everyday power use, would you rather use: A. Microsoft BOB, or B. Windows ME...?" Lesser of two evils.... sucks. or, "A. Bush, or B. Gore ?"

I can't speak to the Swedish constiturion, but I can tell you that the US constitution has a method for amending the constitution that requires a proposed amendment to pass both houses of the legislature by a 2/3 majority and then ratified by 3/4 of the states. This has happened 27 times since 1791 as recently as 1992 and for things as silly as limiting pay raises to legislators and as momentous as banning slavery.

Then there waz 'daGreatExperiment' of Prohibition. That worked out pretty well, didn't it?

--T

Terry Yager said:
Burning of the American flag on the White House lawn iz still considered an 'expression of Free Speech' (thank ghawd)...

--T
I'll defend to the death their right to do so. However, I just might punch them in the nose when they're done.

Terry Yager said:
Then there waz 'daGreatExperiment' of Prohibition. That worked out pretty well, didn't it?

--T

Ahh yes, the first "War on Drugs" It worked about as well as the second one has, with identical results. Legalize it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back