• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Showing-Scalp-Flat-Top

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
Heh! My kid just came home, sporting a brand-new haircut. He informed me that he'd stopped by a place he hadn't been to in yearz, Hicks Barber & Bait Shop, in our ol' neighborhood, and found that hiz ol' barber, Carl, waz still around. I mean, this guy iz a dying breed; an old-skool, hot-towel shave & a haircut barber, not some queer eye for da straight guy 'hair stylist', or whatever! Anybody else know a shop where you can git a 'proper' flat-top for under ten buck$ these dayz?

--T

Last edited:
I think I paid the equivalent of $11 the last time I went to the hairdresser. It is run as a school, and customers get the deducted price to get a haircut from a student, under supervision if required. Students pay insane amounts of money to take part of a course how to become a hairdresser, and yet don't get a master letter (?) afterwards, since it is not an official school. Not to mention there seems to be 13 hairdressers on the dozen, so I don't understand where the market segment is. Sure, it might be your life dream but I would not take a loan and pay $15,000-$25,000 to fulfill my dream if I was not sure I could get a job and pay off that loan over time.

define:colledge

define:colledge

Heh! When I waz a kid, my father would take me, and my two brotherz onna $.25 bus ride to 'Downtown Flint', for a $.50 haircut, at the local 'Barber College'. That was alwayz quite an adventure, even tho I hated haircuts then, and still do.

--T

Ron's Salon in Woodbine NJ. Around $10, or $12 for the best flat-top in South Jersey, or just about any other men's cut.

In my short-hair days, around 1995-1996ish, I used to get that exact haircut at the Auburn barber shop for exactly the price you describe, blow $10 on the hair, another $10 for lunch and guitar strings.

I had one good stylist who was NOT queere-eye type when I lived in Alabama, I wish I coulda taken them up here. The first trim I got the darn woman tried to convince my super low hairline self that I was going bald and tried to sell me a ton of hairstyle crap to the tune of $50. So far, my hair has not thinned, it's gotten bloody thicker.

Back