• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 3.11 Got pretty slow after Network setup

aquasonic

I have a AMD 486DX system with 8mb ram, Cirrus logic 5428vga, Avance A100 plus soundcard and 400mb maxtor hdd. I installed windows 3.11 over dos 6.22 and everything was running fine, until i hoocked up a UMC907AS based lan card...

I installed it and TCPIP32 protocol. It pings from other pcs and everything runs fine, except that windows got REALY slow, slow enough to hear every noise the head's doing when writing/erasing stuff.

Is there anything i can do? I formated it once but still the same results... after installing the umc card it slows down... 81% Resources free and 17mb ram free (seen from help -> about)

what is the problem?:confused: thanks

hmmm, i'd expect nic and tcpip drivers to take some overhead but that seems a little much. never had a problem doing the same thing on my 486 but then again it has 64 MB RAM.

do you have another NIC to try? a great ISA card is the 3C509 "parallel tasking" chipset from 3Com.

I have a AMD 486DX system with 8mb ram, Cirrus logic 5428vga, Avance A100 plus soundcard and 400mb maxtor hdd. I installed windows 3.11 over dos 6.22 and everything was running fine, until i hoocked up a UMC907AS based lan card...

I installed it and TCPIP32 protocol. It pings from other pcs and everything runs fine, except that windows got REALY slow, slow enough to hear every noise the head's doing when writing/erasing stuff.

Is there anything i can do? I formated it once but still the same results... after installing the umc card it slows down... 81% Resources free and 17mb ram free (seen from help -> about)

what is the problem?:confused: thanks

As Mike suggested, a good busmastering NIC. Why only 8Mb of RAM? Even 30-pin 4Mb SIMMs can be found with a little searching.

With 8MB of RAM you are probably swapping memory to the HD quite a bit. Check out how much RAM Smartdrive is using.

I suggest 16MB is the minimum RAM these days (cheap too). I have 3 running 486 Systems and they have 32-64MB of RAM each, plus a 386 DX/40 with 32MB.

i have 2 cards...
One with Realtek RTL8019A chipset, but it won't synchronice with the router and hang the whole system, and one with UMC907AS chipset as i told u which works fine, however the pc is sluggish as hell...

You may suggest me to buy, but finding here old systems is something pretty difficult... :(

well this is strange.... I diss-asmbled and re-asembled the system, did a bios reset, reconfigured it and now the system is back to normal... :p

Good work! :cool: The only case I had like that was where a chip was going bad and generating interrupts many times per second. The poor computer could do little except process bad interrupts.

I guess. Everytime I had conflicting IRQ, PC would be locked up solid. Only way to reset was power the thing off.

Back