• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Knit a binary scarf

You're welcome.

But the best way to thank me would be to find someone to knit me one. :D
I'm already thinking of a 122 character message...

I bet she would knit you one if you asked her, she sounds like a very nice person...

Christine has been known to discuss knitting and sock construction with strangers and homeless guys in the subway.

I bet she would knit you one if you asked her, she sounds like a very nice person...

Yeah right. For me and the other zillion people hitting that page.

Christine has been known to discuss knitting and sock construction with strangers and homeless guys in the subway.

Got a chuckle out of that too.

You know, I might actually try to make this.
There's a Joann's near me. The materials are gonna cost about 15 bucks.
I mean, how hard could it be? Especially when there's books like this:
http://us.dk.com/kwb

Last edited:
I'm more into embroidery than stiching. For example pixelize a retro motif (old computer/game graphics are great examples) and duplicate it stitch by stitch on a piece of cloth. Many years ago, I prepared a few patterns from Super Mario Bros that would look nice, but I never got to it. Maybe some day I'll give it a try.

I'm losing it! I actually like that blanket. I never could keep the tension the same so mine kept changing width as it went along. I gave it up as hopeless, some got it, some don't. Back to desoldering for me.

This embroidery took me four evenings (well, three evenings and a whole night) to complete, and was given as a birthday present last week:
broderi.jpg

wow nice link, i really want one of those now. i don't remember the last scarf i had, but i'd wear that one if i had it.

perhaps i could come up with some little 122 byte BASIC program to put on it.

anybody selling a scarf-drive so i can run the code directly off of the thing?

Last edited:
Yes, it is cross-stitch. I started with using three threads, then went down to two threads and then changed to a different type of yarn and used three threads again.

The Mario and Peach figures were stolen from pictures found on the Internet. The Koopa was once scribbed off the SMB manual (it has all the main characters as grey-scale patterns) and reduced to fit into a 12x21 C64 multicolour sprite. The logotype was adopted from the real thing, obviously.

But all these were small pixelated images, one pixel per stitch. To make it into a pattern, I took the following steps in Adobe Photoshop:

1. Multiply image size by eight (working in indexed colour)
2. Define a set of 8x8 fill patterns, like O X # % and so on.
3. Use magic marker to highlight all areas of one colour (tolerance 0) and use the paint bucket tool to fill those areas with a selected pattern.
4. Write down which pattern represents which colour.
5. Define one more 8x8 pattern that acts like a grid.
6. Open a new layer, use the paint bucket to fill this layer with the pattern.
7. Merge layers, and you have an image consisting of a printable grid plus patterns.

Of course I could print the image without replacing colours by patterns if I had a colour printer, but in this way it was printable with any printer, and more alike how these cross-stich patterns usually are presented.

I'm already toying with the next idea for a pattern. Perhaps a VIC-20, if I can find a nice cream coloured yarn.

Back