• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

The South I'm selling an ultra-low serial (#000977) 1979 Bell & Howell 'Darth Vader' Apple II system on eBay..

Covers: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and West Viriginia.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't fault a guy for trying to make a profit, but selling something for 2x what you paid just a couple months ago is pretty bold...also there's this.

I'm not doing what you're accusing me of. Please read my response below.

Could also be he just spent too much on it and now he needs the money for rent (seen that happen a few times). He has other equipment for sale as well.

Advertising the inflated price on the forum you purchased it from is pretty stupid. I have seen people trying to flip equipment they begged for months earlier for decades.

I did not purchase this system on the forums here. I actually own two of them -- one was purchased off eBay, the other from a private seller up near Chicago I visited a couple weeks ago. Please read my reply below -- hopefully that will clarify a few things.

i'm not that guy, for my birthday blah blah blah blah blah but serial matches to not a few months ago. Thats just happenstance! Whatever...

This is right here why I kinda give up...

Last edited:
i'm not that guy, for my birthday blah blah blah blah blah but serial matches to not a few months ago. Thats just happenstance! Whatever...

This is right here why I kinda give up...
Did you even read what I wrote? Well, with a name like "twolazy", wtf else would I expect..

I mean, even if my original intent was to flip this system, which it clearly wasnt...why do you even care? Ignore this entire post, and don't bid on it.

Here, i'll make it easy for even the laziest:

Attachments

• duh.png
    duh.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm not doing what you're accusing me of. Please read my response below.
What part is inaccurate? You said you bought it for $1600 in your original post. You put it on ebay starting at $3k. You spent too much money on canned air and threw in some extras...ok...

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm just doubtful anyone will pay that much. You just posted that you bought a "large lot" of Apple IIs for $1k.

What part is inaccurate? You said you bought it for $1600 in your original post. You put it on ebay starting at $3k. You spent too much money on canned air and threw in some extras...ok...

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm just doubtful anyone will pay that much. You just posted that you bought a "large lot" of Apple IIs for $1k.

Yes. That's why I gave you an explanation, and did the math for you and everyone else, so you could understand where that dollar value stems from, and even why i'm selling it. I didn't even talk about the $500 or so I had to spend to get up to Lombard and back that weekend. An 1100 mile round trip spanning two days does not come cheaply, especially with gas being as expensive as it is..

I think we're done here.. this thread has descended into trolling. If you don't like the auction, then please, ignore the post and don't participate in it.. At the end of the day, it's not like anyone on this forum owes you, or me, or anyone else an explanation as to why they're selling (or buying) anything. I thought it might be helpful to show how and why i'm selling one of my pieces in response to a clown car full of people who somehow think I purchased this unit off the forums, only to turn around and flip it, or that i'm jacking prices up, without adding a ton of other rare stuff to the lot. Guess not.

Last edited:
Allright, let's just leave this one alone. OP bought the machine, and can do with it what they like, including selling it on Ebay. Personal opinions on this are just that, personal, and there is no need to start the poop flinging over this.

OP - You have to keep in mind that over the years there have been many scammers and profiteers on these forums that have left some very sour tastes in people's mouth, so we're all a little sensitive about this type of behaviour and tend to assume the worst, and you have to admit that without the context you added, it does look very flip-it-for-a-buck rather than what a collector would do.

This is why i'm selling the first one. I HAVE TWO OF THEM. I only need one.
That is a very critical piece of information that changes everything. None of us knew you had purchased a second system. It's neither mentioned in the previous thread, the ebay listing or most importantly here. We all saw (or posted in) the original thread, then a few months later the exact same system pops up for sale and generally we've all been burned by this, so we expect the worst.

I can't speak for everyone else but with that new piece of information, I'm sorry for generalizing.

Edited: What Lutiana said. I guess we posted at the same time. >_>

Last edited:
Wow, so you bought the B&H in Lombard. I live close and saw it in May when he 1st listed it. Like you I already have one, but was interested because the guy also said he had II+ and a IIc ( and I have been wanting a IIc).
In the end there was the B&H, a very beat-up IIe, some kind of junky clone and a lot of stuff on the floor. The seller "knew what he had" and told me that he knew the B&H was all the value and the rest was junk ( and most of it was junk I already had ). He was firm on his price and basically wanted me to pay him ebay prices to clean the room out for him (a hot dirty attic bedroom with a broken staircase). While I had a pocket full of cash, I did not make an offer and got out of there as quick as I could. Got a message from him a month later that we was now willing to entertain offers below his original ask.
Here is a picture of the B&H:

Attachments

• BandH_Lombard.png
    BandH_Lombard.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
That is a very critical piece of information that changes everything. None of us knew you had purchased a second system. It's neither mentioned in the previous thread, the ebay listing or most importantly here. We all saw (or posted in) the original thread, then a few months later the exact same system pops up for sale and generally we've all been burned by this, so we expect the worst.

I can't speak for everyone else but with that new piece of information, I'm sorry for generalizing.

Edited: What Lutiana said. I guess we posted at the same time. >_>
Thank you. I accept your apology.

No hard feelings, man.

Wow, so you bought the B&H in Lombard. I live close and saw it in May when he 1st listed it. Like you I already have one, but was interested because the guy also said he had II+ and a IIc ( and I have been wanting a IIc).
In the end there was the B&H, a very beat-up IIe, some kind of junky clone and a lot of stuff on the floor. The seller "knew what he had" and told me that he knew the B&H was all the value and the rest was junk ( and most of it was junk I already had ). He was firm on his price and basically wanted me to pay him ebay prices to clean the room out for him (a hot dirty attic bedroom with a broken staircase). While I had a pocket full of cash, I did not make an offer and got out of there as quick as I could. Got a message from him a month later that we was now willing to entertain offers below his original ask.
Here is a picture of the B&H:

Yup, that's the gentleman I bought the lot from. Nice guy--him and his wife were very cordial and polite, and apologized for the little bit of mess in the house, and for the lack of AC in the upstairs. It seemed to me they were slowly emptying the house in preparation to move out of it. They even helped my son and I load everything into the SUV. Gemuinely nice people.

Him and I have corresponded regularly since my purchase. He's pleased that I've given his old stuff a new home, a new life, and well aware that some of it will end up on eBay. He had a lot of rare periodicals and early newsletters for Apple owners..stuff that really should be archived for history. There's one museum I know of already that's interested in some of it.

The contents of that room are now laid out in my garage, and are slowly being sorted out and assessed for use and value. That clone you mentioned turned out to be an aftermarket case with an actual Apple motherboard in it, and a rare one at that.

The "pile" has yielded all sorts of strange and interesting things so far...the weirdest so far, the equivalent of a $5 bill from pre-Weimar Republic-era Germany. 5 Marks, I mean. Told him about it, and he's like nah, keep it...lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220722-205302_Textra.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-205302_Textra.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Allright, let's just leave this one alone. OP bought the machine, and can do with it what they like, including selling it on Ebay. Personal opinions on this are just that, personal, and there is no need to start the poop flinging over this.

OP - You have to keep in mind that over the years there have been many scammers and profiteers on these forums that have left some very sour tastes in people's mouth, so we're all a little sensitive about this type of behaviour and tend to assume the worst, and you have to admit that without the context you added, it does look very flip-it-for-a-buck rather than what a collector would do.
Thank you for stepping in.. I'm glad the nastiness has been put to rest.

I totally get that people can feel jaded, especially after seeing the kinds of shenanigans some "collectors" pull. I've seen it too. These people aren't real collectors. They're carpetbaggers and opportunists who could care less about the tech, let alone the history. They want dollar signs...I'm equally glad for the opportunity to show I'm not one of those people.

Comes with some two drives, a Bell & Howell tape deck in leather, as well as lots of printed manuals and the original redbook that came with the unit. Here's a link for anyone interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255637857744
How exactly is your computer "RARE!"? they mass produced tens of thousands of these. People who put "RARE" in thier ebay listings are just lying to everyone and shouldnt be trusted. If you ever see "rare" on a listing.. RUN,.

Last edited:
How exactly is your computer "RARE!"? they mass produced tens of thousands of these. People who put "RARE" in thier ebay listings are just lying to everyone and shouldnt be trusted. If you ever see "rare" on a listing.. RUN,

It does have the AV hookup I suppose.

Which as you said seems to be more unusual these days, even on the few B&H's that come up on Ebay.

But its a shame that prices are getting so high.

Not saying an owner shouldn't ask or get whatever someone is prepared to pay but I know from the classic car market, that spiralling prices can spoil the enjoyment of things for all but a few.

But there does seem to be a flavour of profiteering in some of the posts, from the B&H unit to the Rev 2 board to the proto board. All posts seemed to be concerned about the 'rarity' and the price of the item but its hard to judge someone without being face to face. The internet is such a harsh light.

I suppose when you first get enthusiastic about vintage computers it could be taken the wrong way :)

Ah well.

Last edited:
How exactly is your computer "RARE!"? they mass produced tens of thousands of these. People who put "RARE" in thier ebay listings are just lying to everyone and shouldnt be trusted. If you ever see "rare" on a listing.. RUN,.
I think the rarity is those painted Apple II disk drives. Originally from the picture above, it came with the proper Bell and Howell marked disk drives. Now there are two hand-painted Apple II disk drives. But, hey, black spray paint costs money so that needs to add at least $100 a piece for the custom paint job.

Two major thins missing with this auction is a picture of the motherboard (no date stamp?) and a proper picture of the backpack. Even if this was at a reasonable price, I would need to see those before making a buying decision.

Hi,

One of these recently sold on Shop.GoodWill.com for $300 not too long ago. Are not all the Bell&Howell Apple II's are black?

Hi,

One of these recently sold on Shop.GoodWill.com for $300 not too long ago. Are not all the Bell&Howell Apple II's are black?
Yes they are. And I have gotten a few good deals on the goodwill site.. Just not recently. I think we can all agree $500.00 is the avg price. I was at an in person auction an the B&H unit went for $500 or $550. That is still out of my price however. I already have a II plus I love.

You're flipping.. just own it! It's totally fine... it takes all kinds. You rescued the machines and cleaned up and selling for a profit. That's the way it works.

Just now everyone knows, and you can't use the "replace the one I had as a kid" stories. :)

Also, everyone else- Just don't sell your stuff for less than you think it's worth and it's not a problem.

When I sell something, I pick a price I am happy with. If they resell it for more, I am not mad. That is my own fault for not researching it and taking the trouble to make it more valuable and attract sellers. I know this and move on.

The "prototype" thing and painted Apple drives give me the vibe of a repainted II+ with a fake new badge, though. I guess you have some other proof that is not the case, though, so it doesn't look like it. You lay it on a little thick, just like your rev.2 auction.

"GLWTS". You are asking a premium price. It's a nice collection!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back