• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Should I back out of this eBay sale?

compaqportableplus

Veteran Member
Okay, I don’t normally make threads like this, but I’m just really wondering about this one.

So I sold one of my Dell Pentium 4 systems on eBay yesterday. I talked with the buyer prior to selling it to them and they asked me if I could set it up with a Windows Me/XP dual boot, which I said was no problem. He claims this was his childhood computer, which I totally understand the want to get one back.

So immediately after I accepted the offer, he told me that he works at the Waffle House (I didn’t need to know that) and needed time to save up the money. I immediately became very suspicious about this deal and regretted accepting his offer.

So I told him that he shouldn’t offer money he doesn’t have for items, and asked how long it would take to “save” the money. He said he gets paid on Wednesdays. He still never said exactly when he’d pay though, but I assume he means he’ll pay Wednesday.

My other issue is, it seems like he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about computers, like literally nothing.

So I asked him if he had the appropriate things like a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and a VGA capable monitor MULTIPLE TIMES, and he always replies with “ok” and nothing else every time I ask him. I’m not even sure he knows what PS/2 and VGA even are.

There’s nothing wrong with being inexperienced, but my issue with selling to someone like this is the likelihood seems very high they aren’t going to understand what they are buying and end up filing a “not as described” claim and then I’m in the hole $40 from shipping a heavy ass computer to him. Double that if I pay return shipping, which wouldn’t be worth it in this case.
Obviously, they still haven’t paid and I’m wondering if I should just cancel the sale? I HATE to do that, but I have a really bad feeling about this sale.

What do you all think?

Check his Left For Others feedback - sometimes that can give clues as to what kind of buyer they are.
I do this often before accepting offers - if they seem like trouble, they can pay full price :)

Looks like you can cancel the order as unpaid after 4 calendar days to avoid an eBay defect:

Well, first of all, you'll be selling software (Windows) that you aren't authorized to sell, no? Of course, if the customer supplies valid licensed copies of XP and WinMe, that's different. Just thinking that you may run afoul of some eBay regs here.

How much support do you intend on giving this guy?

Finally, if he needs to pay but doesn't have the cash, eBay/Paypal does have a credit program that he can use. If he's not credit-worthy, that opens up another can of worms. Usually, eBay terms are net net net, so he's apparently not prepared to make good on his offer, at least when it comes to eBay.

Sometimes you have to go with what your gut tells you. If this really was his first computer I would expect him to know something about computers. It does seem
to be a red flag. But it might all be above board too. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I know, not totally what you want to hear.

Check his Left For Others feedback - sometimes that can give clues as to what kind of buyer they are.
I do this often before accepting offers - if they seem like trouble, they can pay full price :)

Looks like you can cancel the order as unpaid after 4 calendar days to avoid an eBay defect:
I did, and his feedback seems good, but you just never know I guess.

Yes, you can cancel after 4 days of non payment. I’ve had to do that several times before. Sometimes I will get an offer, accept, then the buyer falls of the face of the earth. Very annoying.
Well, first of all, you'll be selling software (Windows) that you aren't authorized to sell, no? Of course, if the customer supplies valid licensed copies of XP and WinMe, that's different. Just thinking that you may run afoul of some eBay regs here.

How much support do you intend on giving this guy?

Finally, if he needs to pay but doesn't have the cash, eBay/Paypal does have a credit program that he can use. If he's not credit-worthy, that opens up another can of worms. Usually, eBay terms are net net net, so he's apparently not prepared to make good on his offer, at least when it comes to eBay.
It’s a Dell system, and I will be using genuine Dell copies of the operating systems. The Dell copy of XP will self activate when installed on a Dell, so no shady business is required to get that running. That part I’m not terribly worried about honestly. I’m not charging extra for the software anyway, I’m charging for the computer and Windows will be thrown on it for free. (If this is not okay to discuss here, mods feel free to remove it).

And I’m not running a massive business here, just selling some things here and there to fund my hobby. :)

I will install the stuff he wants on it for him but that’s it. I don’t get paid for full-time tech support.

Well, he has about three more days to pay, so we’ll see. I mean, I could technically cancel it before, but I’m just not sure what to do yet.
Sometimes you have to go with what your gut tells you. If this really was his first computer I would expect him to know something about computers. It does seem
to be a red flag. But it might all be above board too. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I know, not totally what you want to hear.
Well, my gut says “run like hell,” so yeah. I wish he had mentioned his “saving up the money” thing BEFORE I accepted his offer, and we wouldn’t be here.

Last edited:
This guy, I swear!

So he just messaged me again and says his dad is helping him pay for it (which is a little odd if he’s really 25 like he claimed in another message but I’m not judging) and he could pay next Wednesday.

Since he’s never been entirely clear, I asked, next Wednesday as in the 25th, or this coming Wednesday as in the 18th, which he replied “yes.”

That was TWO questions! It’s like he’s not reading half of what I send him.

So I told him that was two different questions and to please give me a specific answer.

Edit: Okay, he told me the 25th is when he’ll pay. Good, I will give it three more days and can cancel it for “non paying buyer” and remain on good terms with ebay.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone’s insight here. Like I said, he told me it’s going to be 10 MORE DAYS (25th) until he can pay me, which is entirely unreasonable. After 3 more days, the sale will be canceled. I will absolutely be blocking this buyer too.

I don’t have time for people’s games.

This guy, I swear!

So he just messaged me again and says his dad is helping him pay for it (which is a little odd if he’s really 25 like he claimed in another message but I’m not judging) and he could pay next Wednesday.
There are many sons in their 20s, 30's and I expect even 40's who rely on the "bank of mum and dad" but I would have paid straight away if it was my son...
... perhaps time to remind the buyer to make sure he has the money before bidding...

to be a red flag.
To be fair, how many ordinary computer users know terms like VGA or PS/2? Not many. It's a monitor connector and a keyboard connector to most. Just like so many people did not understand that when DVDs came out, they would not work in a CD-ROM drive.

To be fair, how many ordinary computer users know terms like VGA or PS/2? Not many. It's a monitor connector and a keyboard connector to most. Just like so many people did not understand that when DVDs came out, they would not work in a CD-ROM drive.
Well, if they’re buying an old PC and don’t even know what those are, I expect they probably don’t have a clue how to hook it up and get it working, nor have the needed accessories, which will result in me losing my ass for a false “not as described” claim, and you know eBay will side with the buyer.

It's the best for both of you. The guy needs to reevaluate his priorities.
I agree!
There are many sons in their 20s, 30's and I expect even 40's who rely on the "bank of mum and dad" but I would have paid straight away if it was my son...
... perhaps time to remind the buyer to make sure he has the money before bidding...
Like I said I’m not judging him for that (if his parents are cool with that I don’t care), I’m just frustrated he bought my item BEFORE working all of that out.

I did tell the buyer it is NOT a good idea to offer money for items you can’t afford.

Well, if they’re buying an old PC and don’t even know what those are, I expect they probably don’t have a clue how to hook it up and get it working, nor have the needed accessories, which will result in me losing my ass for a false “not as described” claim, and you know eBay will side with the buyer.
If all sellers would think like this, many of us would have a hard time buying stuff we are not familiar with, don't you think?

Keep in mind that selling on ebay is not a favor you do someone. You agreed on a purchase contract. If he pays in time, you have to deliver. You can not just cancel the sale because you think the buyer has no clue about how to use it. Imagine for a second you are the buyer and a seller would do that to you.

Not true, sellers can cancel the sale for a variety of reasons. I have had it happen as a buyer multiple times.
True, but a seller does get a "defect" from eBay on most cancellation reasons.

It's not supposed to affect their account until you have a certain number of them - but I suspect the search algorithm uses that data to determine how visible your listing is.

If all sellers would think like this, many of us would have a hard time buying stuff we are not familiar with, don't you think?

Keep in mind that selling on ebay is not a favor you do someone. You agreed on a purchase contract. If he pays in time, you have to deliver. You can not just cancel the sale because you think the buyer has no clue about how to use it. Imagine for a second you are the buyer and a seller would do that to you.
Well, if it wasn’t for a sketchy buyer asking weird questions and giving weird answers, I wouldn’t have to be suspicious. If he had just asked me to set it up for him, bought and payed for it, then I would have packed it up and shipped it out like usual. I never usually message a buyer unless they message me first, so I generally have no clue how much they do or don’t know about what they are buying.

And I’m not a hardass seller. In fact I just got moved up to a top-rated seller. Any issues a person has with an item they buy from me will be made right in 48 hours or less, guaranteed. I don’t screw people over and I never will.

For example, I recently gave a person a FULL REFUND on a PC that worked when I shipped but did not when he received it. He sent me pics and everything and I told him a few things to try, none of which worked. I promptly gave a full refund, apologized and told him to keep the machine and use it for parts. I will always work with people to make it right if something goes wrong.

Like I said, there’s nothing wrong with inexperience, and nothing wrong with buying something you’re not experienced with, but when you start acting really weird, telling me you don’t have the money and other things, I get extremely suspicious.

And the main reason I’m canceling the sale in three days is not because the buyer seems clueless, it’s that they aren’t planning on paying me until the 25th. I wouldn’t give ANYONE that much time, much less a sketchy buyer.

Remember THEY also agreed on a purchase contract they don’t have the money for, which is absolutely unacceptable, don’t you think? That alone makes me VERY suspicious of them. The buyer does bear some responsibility too, as hard as that may be to believe.

Now, IF he pays before then, then I will have to work something out, but I really don’t think he will.
Not true, sellers can cancel the sale for a variety of reasons. I have had it happen as a buyer multiple times.
Yep, but eBay doesn’t like you just cancelling at random, so I just don’t want to that. I’m going by the book and doing it the right way.

True, but a seller does get a "defect" from eBay on most cancellation reasons.

It's not supposed to affect their account until you have a certain number of them - but I suspect the search algorithm uses that data to determine how visible your listing is.
Yep, that’s why I’m waiting until I can select the “non paying buyer” option which will be there in three days. My eBay account is doing really good and I’m not going to jack that up.

Hopefully this all works out in the end. Please just realize I’m not rolling in money over here, and when a deal starts going extremely sour, I see myself losing money, which I would like to avoid. Understandable, right?

To be crystal clear again, I’m not one of those sellers that cancels orders at random. Only times I’ve done it are for shipping address problems and non paying buyers. I don’t take cancelling an order lightly by any means. I’m fully aware that an eBay sale is a legally binding contract, but the buyers need to be aware of that too. Some buyers seem to think eBay purchases are just fun and games, which they aren’t!

Last edited:
I talked with the buyer prior to selling it to them and they asked me if I could set it up with a Windows Me/XP dual boot, which I said was no problem.
There is your first mistake. Once you have it up for sale its done. A small addon or alteration is fine,, but changing the OS and a dual boot.. NO.. What you see is what you get. Your time is valuable.
And the main reason I’m canceling the sale in three days is not because the buyer seems clueless, it’s that they aren’t planning on paying me until the 25th. I wouldn’t give ANYONE that much time, much less a sketchy buyer.
Exactly. The buyer has the right to take up to 3 days to pay.. but its theier right. IF they go beyond that cancel the sale and add them to the blocked buyers list. THis is business its not personal thats what I do.

My other issue is, it seems like he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about computers, like literally nothing.
So I asked him if he had the appropriate things like a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and a VGA capable monitor MULTIPLE TIMES, and he always replies with “ok” and nothing else every time I ask him. I’m not even sure he knows what PS/2 and VGA even are.
Your describing MOST PEOPLE. MOST PEOPLE dont know SH*T about computers... So there is no surprise there

Why are you asking a buyer all this information? Your making a sale. Its not your concern what thier knowledge is or what they have at home. They chose to buy or make an offer on your equipment. Dont get involved unless you need to. Just sell the thing. If I sell a car I dont ask if they know how to drive, if they know about maintenance, or what thier history with cars is.. I take thier money and sign the bill of sale. If they have questions or concerns its up to them to ask them or make them known beforehand.

But didn't the guy say "this was his first computer"? So he should be somewhat familiar with it?

There is your first mistake. Once you have it up for sale its done. A small addon or alteration is fine,, but changing the OS and a dual boot.. NO.. What you see is what you get. Your time is valuable.
Well, I’ve got plenty of time on my hands and I really don’t mind doing that honestly. It’s something I’ve done many, many times before and I can practically do it in my sleep at this point. Perhaps it would be better to kindly decline next time though.
Exactly. The buyer has the right to take up to 3 days to pay.. but it’s theier right. IF they go beyond that cancel the sale and add them to the blocked buyers list. THis is business its not personal thats what I do.
Definitely!
Your describing MOST PEOPLE. MOST PEOPLE dont know SH*T about computers... So there is no surprise there

Why are you asking a buyer all this information? Your making a sale. Its not your concern what thier knowledge is or what they have at home. They chose to buy or make an offer on your equipment. Dont get involved unless you need to. Just sell the thing. If I sell a car I dont ask if they know how to drive, if they know about maintenance, or what thier history with cars is.. I take thier money and sign the bill of sale. If they have questions or concerns its up to them to ask them or make them known beforehand.
If you read above, you’ll see where I said I only asked him additional questions because of the odd behavior he exhibited before. I have never before asked those questions to a buyer.

I never normally ask a buyer questions at all unless there’s some kind of problem.

But regardless, I think we can put this thread to rest now. He’s obviously thinks I’m going to hold this computer until the 25th for him, which I’m not, and it will be over once the sale exceeds 4 days of non payment.

Most of my eBay sales have been smooth as butter so far. And hopefully once this nightmare is over things will be normal again for a while.

Most buyers have been great actually. I actually haven’t had a non-paying buyer in a long time now, aside from this new one.

Like I said, don’t tell me you need to save money for an item you already committed to buy from me, tell me personal details I don’t need to know, along with just acting strangely overall, and I will never question the sale.

Last edited:
Back