• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help With laptop.

Muk50

hello, i need help with my laptop..its a toshiba!!
umm when i start it up it shows toshiba sign...then it goes to a black screen and its asking for a password in the left hand corner. anyone know??

how can i crash it?
help would greatly apperciated!!

- Muk50:)

Is it old, is it new? How did you get it, and why don't you know the password?

Sounds like there's password on the BIOS.
Take it back to the person you bought it from and have them unlock it.

You may also be able to clear the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes... It will look like a quarter, but you will have to look under the keyboard / RAM / someplace else for it. Try searching for your model of laptop online to see if you can find a document that shows where it is.

Cheers,

80sFreak

umm its my friends.....she got it last year for christmas and she let her sister use it and her sister went to turn it on and it went black and said "PASSWORD" in the upper left coner.so im thinking someone hacked into it...what do u guys think? thatsnks for the help - Muk50:D

I don't think it was hacked into, but somebody turned on theBIOS password feature, like Ahm said above. Tell your friend to get whateve the password is from the sister.

What model of laptop is it? For example, I have a Satellite Pro 460CDT. Does yours have a similar name?

Nathan

oh ok. whats the BIOS feature? yea its a TOSHIBA Satellite M45 thats what it says.

BIOS is what the computer first runs when it's turned on. it is the code that pretty much tells the machine how to work and load an OS.

the password feature means that somebody configured the machine with a power-on password to prevent anybody but him/her loading up the OS without their permission.

ohh i see ok....is there anyway i can take it off? or do i have to open the computer up?

cause my friends sister dont know the password.

no you defiantely have to open it up, and if you don't know what you're doing - trust me... don't do it. laptop's are EASY to break!

as somebody said before you have to find and remove the CMOS battery for a while. if you actually do this, after you remove the CMOS battery... a good way to make sure there is no remaining current in the machine is remove it's regular power battery also and unplug it from the wall. then press the power button. nothing will happen visibly but it will remove any extra current that was sitting in there that might have kept it's CMOS memory retained.

ok i see.....yea il just take it to someone to get it fixed thanks for all your help.

Hdd Pasword

Hdd Pasword

Some Toshiba's also have a hard drive password.
If the prompt is 'HDD PASSWORD' (seen on boot up on a black screen), then search the Internet using 'HDD PASSWORD' and you'll find lots of info.

Back