• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ibm ps/2 with two hard disk

smalltux

I have two ibm ps/2 model 50z.
How to connerct two hard disks in a 286 ps/2?
i need formatting the second hard drive and install freedos and programs from a first hard drive,because floppy disks drives is broken...:D

You need a floppy drive so that you can run the reference disk, and with that install the two drives (If it takes the ones you have). Another option is to laplink two computers together (a special parallel cable). I am unsure if you mean two hard drives in one computer or two computers each with one hard drive.

If it helps any, I have some working 2.88 IBM floppy drives for the PS/2 line for sale.

Be careful, because the 2.88Mb drives are only for a limited selection of PS/2s (usually the 95xx series). There may even be some consequences from certain 2.88Mb drives on the PS/2s that support them (in particular I am referring to those with an "*" on the drive eject button). See http://www.gilanet.com/OhlandL/floppy/floppy.html#*Marked_288 for more info.

I have two ibm ps/2 model 50z.
How to connect two hard disks in a 286 ps/2?
i need formatting the second hard drive and install freedos and programs from a first hard drive,because floppy disks drives is broken...:D

The 50Z uses a drive type referred to as "DBA ESDI". It's not possible to put two into the same system (the controller connection is designed for only one drive). With both systems' floppy drives broken (as brought up, any change in configuration is going to need a Reference Diskette) your options are limited (generally from the Ref Disk you can even LLF the drive by using the hidden key sequence Ctrl-A).

Good Point...

Good Point...

Be careful, because the 2.88Mb drives are only for a limited selection of PS/2s (usually the 95xx series). There may even be some consequences from certain 2.88Mb drives on the PS/2s that support them (in particular I am referring to those with an "*" on the drive eject button). See http://www.gilanet.com/OhlandL/floppy/floppy.html#*Marked_288 for more info.

Now that you pointed it out, I do recall the swap-out problem with the drives.

If the OP let's me know the FRU # on the drives in the system with the broken drive, I can check through the drives I have here for that number as, without a doubt, it's going to be the easiest solution to his problem.

I have 2 ESDI drives in one of my 8580s. I took the 2nd drive out of an 8560. The controller card has 2 control cables and a common data cable with the 2 drives chained. It even has a mounting provision for at least a 2nd HDD. What does the DBA stand for ? I have a 50z but haven't explored it much. One would think the controller card would also work in the 50z or is it on the motherboard ? My 50z is buried under a bunch of other computers.

Lawrence

The 50Z uses a drive type referred to as "DBA ESDI". It's not possible to put two into the same system (the controller connection is designed for only one drive). With both systems' floppy drives broken (as brought up, any change in configuration is going to need a Reference Diskette) your options are limited (generally from the Ref Disk you can even LLF the drive by using the hidden key sequence Ctrl-A).

I have 2 ESDI drives in one of my 8580s. I took the 2nd drive out of an 8560. The controller card has 2 control cables and a common data cable with the 2 drives chained. It even has a mounting provision for at least a 2nd HDD. What does the DBA stand for ? I have a 50z but haven't explored it much. One would think the controller card would also work in the 50z or is it on the motherboard ? My 50z is buried under a bunch of other computers.

"DBA" is "Direct Bus Attachment" (or "Doing Business As" if you prefer). The 50Z, 55SX, 70, & P70 commonly had these drives, which are in a different 3-1/2" form-factor than ESDI drives on the 60 & 80 (5-1/4"). There are even some of the PS/2 level laptops that have them in smaller form too. Just like IDE, the controller is on the drive itself.

30, 40, 60, 80, 120, & 160Mb sizes were made. The smaller sizes are very failure prone at this point. If you can find a 160Mb it will be useful on all of the models (the system takes care of the geometry of the drive).

Now that you pointed it out, I do recall the swap-out problem with the drives.

If the OP let's me know the FRU # on the drives in the system with the broken drive, I can check through the drives I have here for that number as, without a doubt, it's going to be the easiest solution to his problem.

The 1.44Mb level of drives can have their problems, particulary the electrolytic capacitors drying out at this point. Some are repairable for a time. An effort is on to be able to adapt a common clone drive into the PS/2 models, with pretty good success.

Back