• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

800XL cables, hookups

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
You're going to need the 800XL power supply (CO61982), two 1050 power supplies (CO17945), two SIO cables (from the 800XL to first 1050 "in"; from first 1050 "out" to second 1050 "in") and either a real monitor cable (DIN to audio, video RCA) or an RF cable (RCA jack to TV antenna "F" male-RCA female adapter). I don't have a printer on my Atari, so I don't know what you'd need to hooks yours up.

Now, where to find the stuff. You can find stuff on eBay if you're patient. For example, I just got a nice "white brick" supply on eBay for five bucks. The SIO cables are gonna be harder to find, probably the monitor cable too. Otherwise check Best Electronics or B&C ComputerVisions.

Andy

Might have to buy a 1050 drive to get the sio cable. I just purchased a second 1050 on ebay with the sio cable (no power supply tho). Cost me $25.99 w/ shipping.

To get my second SIO cable, I paid a total of $20 for some "parts" which included an Atari 800XL "keyboard".

At least the monitor cable is possible to manufacture yourself. The SIO connector is impossible to find elsewhere than from an actual SIO cable if I have understood correctly. Those SIO2PC cables were manufactured from cutting off one end of an original SIO cable?

(. Insert rant about using proprietary connectors .)

At least the monitor cable is possible to manufacture yourself. The SIO connector is impossible to find elsewhere than from an actual SIO cable if I have understood correctly. Those SIO2PC cables were manufactured from cutting off one end of an original SIO cable?

(. Insert rant about using proprietary connectors .)

Looks like I'll have a hunt on my hands. I don't want to get more of the machines just to get cables. I'll see what I can find. Thanks for y'all's responses.

Nathan

On the other hand, I admit I have never looked closely at a real Atari computer despite being incredibly close to several of them. Can the SIO connector be described as a 13 pin DSUB, and does it have the same spacing? I'm thinking if it is possible to take a DB15 and saw off the outer two pins (including casing) to get a compatible connector.

Might not be impossible though.

Every part has to have a number and, where there is a number there is something to track down, a talent which, in my business of repairing 15 to 30 year old computer equipment, I've had to develop.

I managed to track a part, the video signal connector for the back of a Tandy CM-5 monitor, to Hirose America, figure out which connector it was and actually get the ROHS version of it, with the hood, for free as a sample.

Took 8 weeks, mind you, and a lot of screwing around, but, I managed to get it.

I have an Atari 810 drive in here for repair and it has an SIO cable with it, so, when I get a chance, I will see if I can source the connector. The cabling itself should be easy to come by and then it's just a pin to pin soldering job. Hey, maybe I'll start a side-line business making vintage cables LOL

I have an Atari 810 drive in here for repair and it has an SIO cable with it, so, when I get a chance, I will see if I can source the connector. The cabling itself should be easy to come by and then it's just a pin to pin soldering job. Hey, maybe I'll start a side-line business making vintage cables LOL

Druid,
you'd make a killin, since these things are in short supply or expensive. I didn't see a price at one of those links less than like $38.

Can the SIO connector be described as a 13 pin DSUB, and does it have the same spacing? I'm thinking if it is possible to take a DB15 and saw off the outer two pins (including casing) to get a compatible connector.

No, the SIO connector is about twice as big as a DSUB and a different shape, with more squared-off corners.
There's a better view and in-depth discussion of the protocol here.

BTW, the SIO2PC cable I bought comes with an SIO jack which means, while you no longer need to destroy a real SIO cable,
you still need to have one to use the SIO2PC. I got mine from AtariMax

P.S. The Atari 8-bit FAQ has info on your printers.

Andy

Possible source?

Possible source?

Game Over (here in Austin) had what I believe to be an 800XL power supply and SIO cable. They look like the ones in the first photo on this page (2-tone brick under the stack of bricks at the back and the cable in the front):

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/atarixl/index.htm

I picked them up with you in mind. I'm not sure my 800XL power supply looks the same, but I'll try this on my 800XL when I get home and continue the discussion via PM. (If you've already found a source or aren't happy with the price, no pressure.)

I have a number of Atari 8-bit machines and a dearth of SIO cables, despite my efforts to find them in thrifts and yard-sales from the early 90s on.

There has been one guy who has offered them regularly on ebay. I always considered them overpriced but from this thread perhaps not. A message to the old Atari usenet group could turn some up. comp.sys.atari.8bit.

Lawrence

Very useful info, Andy. Wouldn't you know that mine is the one that will smoke my 800XL if/when it fails! At least now I know what to watch for in the way of reliable ones...the bricks in the style of the 800XL, of course!

From looking at Nathan's now-known-to-be-dead "reliable but rare?" candidate power supply brick, it's just a good old standard linear PS with a 5V regulator. It had blown a fuse (it appears courtesy of the previous owner), so I'm looking into replacing that next. Already checked it out with my 800XL running and it works fine and registers a little more than 1A draw through my meter in place of the fuse instead of the > 3A fuse rating. Hopefully this info will be useful to someone someday so they don't simply chuck their old "reliable but rare" PS.

No, the SIO connector is about twice as big as a DSUB and a different shape, with more squared-off corners. There's a better view and in-depth discussion of the protocol here.
Actually, I already found that page and from the illustration noted that the connector shares some physical attributes from a DSUB, but not close enough. Too bad, but I suppose someone with much time on his hands could mould own connectors from scratch, using small pins and some clay to stick them into. The SIO2PC cables you speak of must've been manufactured from dead Atari computers/disk drives if it comes with a jack, or is the connector possible to source from somewhere secret?

I suppose someone with much time on his hands could mould own connectors from scratch,

Why from scratch? If there was someone who had the facility for making proper molded parts, I'm sure any number of people would donate an SIO cable to have a mold made, in return for a supply of the connectors. (That's how I was able to build a serial cable for my Garmin eTrex GPS. Someone went ahead and made a mold of the correct connector and then asked for donations to cover costs. Pretty sweet deal)

The SIO2PC cables you speak of must've been manufactured from dead Atari computers/disk drives if it comes with a jack, or is the connector possible to source from somewhere secret?

I don't know. Most people tend to guard their sources.
Not me, I like to share. For example, here's an Atari ST floppy cable for two dollars.

Andy

I just got off the phone with vintagecomputer.com and they had no idea what I was talking about with an "SIO" cable. Apparently the Atari 8-bit machines they have are all in boxes. Their 40-something price isn't too bad for a product like that.

But unfortunately they're not that familiar with the machine itself. So they couldn't answer my question. I tried.

If someone were to havea bunch of those cables made I know I'd be buying 2-3 of them if the price were right.

Nathan

I didn't see a price at one of those links less than like $38.

$38 sounds about right for a power supply and a long SIO cable.

Best Electronics lists the power supply #CO61982 for $27 each, and SIO cables for between $8 and $11 each depending on length.

I wouldn't expect a mom and pop shop to know what an SIO cable was. They might only know it as a "disk drive cable".
In Atari speak, what you're looking for is a "CX81, I/O Data Cord (5 ft)"

Cheers,
Andy

Just got my game, Star Raiders, for the 800 in the mail today. It says "left cartridge" on the top label, and I'm guessing this isn't usable in the 800XL. Is this right?

Back