• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Euro trip

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
For those of you who like to acquire stuff from the EU, I will be in the netherlands (Eemshaven - about 45 minutes NW of Groningen, 3-4 hours from Amsterdam) in Sept. I fly into Amsterdam 9/24, and fly back from London-Heathrow on 10/5. If it's relatively small, and can go in baggage, I can bring it back for you, and ship it from Miami when I return.

I will also be in Spain for 2 weeks in February, but no exact dates yet.

If anyone is interested, I can get exact dates for the Sept/Oct trip - it includes Dover, UK and Rotterdam, NL.

Tony

As for transporting goods back and forth, I suppose our resident Dutch member goes to the US so often that at least you don't have to bring anything on your way "here". I'm curious what kind of stuff you would acquire, and how - European only eBay auctions where you give the postal address to your hotel, or private deals in similar fashion?

As for transporting goods back and forth, I suppose our resident Dutch member goes to the US so often that at least you don't have to bring anything on your way "here". I'm curious what kind of stuff you would acquire, and how - European only eBay auctions where you give the postal address to your hotel, or private deals in similar fashion?

True, but only east coast, whereas all interesting stuff (and most people here) seem to be Midwest or west coast...

Just for the records, Eemshaven is more or less to us what Alaska is to you, considering remoteness. But the temperature is better.

Unfortunatly I am about the greatest in-country distance from Eemshaven that is possible. Which is, in our country, about 220 miles :D
Big country, huh :D

Time is drawing near - I fly out in a couple weeks - 9/24.
I get to Amsterdam, then take a train to Groningen, then taxi to Eemshaven.

And yes, Jorg, it is in the middle of NOWHERE! I assume it has a name, simply to ship stuff there, because it is nothing but a shipyard!

Alas - we are switching shipyards, and this is my last trip to your country. It is a VERY beautiful place, I must say. I especially love the way the architecture is - the way the roofs are made!

Normally, if we actually get out, we go to Delfzijl, which is not much, or if we really feel like driving, we go to Groningen.

So - Last Call, folks! Something carryable I can bring back, or take there.

Vlad - hopefully i got ya covered - not gonna be in Dover,UK long, though.
Arrive 4:30am, and got a flight at like 11am out of Heathrow.

Tony

If it had not been your last work trip to the Netherlands, you could pick up the imaginary PDP-8 part by part and transport it overseas. How many trips would you need to take to get it all over, given that it can be disassembled into carryable parts?

If it had not been your last work trip to the Netherlands, you could pick up the imaginary PDP-8 part by part and transport it overseas. How many trips would you need to take to get it all over, given that it can be disassembled into carryable parts?

The chassis would've been a challenge...again, the trusty Milwaukee SawzAll!
Again, wouldn't be much use after I introduce Mister PDP Chassis, to Mister SawzAll!

:satisfie:

T

Perhaps Mr Bolt could patch Mr PDP Chassis back to life after arriving overseas? That would be a sight, a mini computer bolted together like a work of Frankenstein.

Yeah, yeah, leave it to you Yanks to use C-4 when a rachet would do :)

Well, it's all academic now. The guy lived on a houseboat, moved the PDP to one side to get the bubblewrap in the shipping box, boat flipped over and sank. Bummer. I think the guy survived, but, I was MUCH too upset to check.

:(

A PDP on the bottom of the ocean (river?) still is a PDP. It just takes a bit more effort to pull it from the mud. On the other hand, afterwards you have a really good reason to disassemble it completely, clean and dry all the components and hope it will boot up again.

http://www.computermuseumgroningen.nl/

http://www.computermuseumgroningen.nl/

nice museum ;-) if you're there you could visit Allard ;-)

I already contacted him, but if you are, who I *THINK* you are, stay outta my threads.

IF you are, who I think you are, wasting my time on that PCjr was enough already. I REALLY don;t want to have to deal with you here, as well.

Seems like you've done the SAME thing to others that are on here, as well.

It's a very small world, and we all talk to each other, and know each other, so we know who are problem people, and who are not.

T

Back