• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Look what I paid $170 shipping for

In this particular case it is hard to know what to do. I don't have the nerve to open a monitor housing to secure it properly; something about the electrical wallop a CRT can pack. But it was almost predictable that an old machine going overseas not in its original shipping packaging was going to be damaged. I haven't got the courage to even try to ship something like that that far.

Normally, I wouldn't mind opening the case and wrapping the tube for extra protection, as long as I know the person recieving it has enough sense to unwrap it without killing himself, but in this case, I decided against it because I didn't want to break the precious security seal on the M-III (and void the warranty). I wanted Carlsson to have that privilege himself.

--T

Last edited:
I've shipped several things with CRTs in them, including a color classic to Nova Scotia, a Model 16 (which I had to remount the CRT in when I received it) to Ohio and the monitor for the PC jr (forget the model number) to Finland.

All of them made it in original condition.

I used, as someone else suggested, the box-in-box method. I used hi-density "sponge" foam for the bottom of the inner box and then laid the unit face down on it. I then put "sticks of rigid foam all around the other 5 sides and filled it to bursting with compressible foam "worms".

This was placed in a box roughly 1.5 inches larger in all directions and was filled on all 6 sides with rigid foam "peanuts".

The shipping label was placed so that "up" for the outer box was "down" for the CRT (this is the only position that is safe because dropping the box with the CRT facing down won't pull on the mountings).

All the shipments survived several postal systems and arrived intact.

I calculated shipping on both the inner box alone and the box-in-box and, with the extra size and weight, it only added less than 10% to the shipping cost.

This prevented having to go through a damage claim, something I am going through with USPS on a shipment of two Model Is and a Model I display from the US where the monitor and 1 of the Model 1s arrived alive but the sealed, mint, working OTHER model 1 had the top third of the back of the case reduced to a pile of plastic chips.

This claim, BTW, was filed 02/05/07.

ouch, sorry to see that! well, hopefully you can locate a replacement screen/tube for it.

maybe if youre lucky that thing just outputs a PAL or NTSC signal to the tube. (anybody know?)

if so, you could rewire it to a normal TV as a temporary (and ghetto) fix so at least you can use it?

Yeah, we'll see what the insurance can do. I have pictures of the box too, but haven't posted them.

I discussed this elsewhere (without exposing the seller), and a guy suggested that maybe the parcel had frozen somewhere on the flight, so the old, fragile plastic mounting posts finally broke, and then the tube fell. Of course it could be pure physical damage too.

I discussed this elsewhere (without exposing the seller), and a guy suggested that maybe the parcel had frozen somewhere on the flight, so the old, fragile plastic mounting posts finally broke, and then the tube fell. Of course it could be pure physical damage too.

I doubt it froze since that would have probably split the main board as well. G10 epoxy is extremely brittle when frozen and the shrinking of the board (since it's screwed to the support frame at numerous points) as it reached those temperatures would have, at least, ripped some of the mounting holes in the PCB off.

It was most likely dropped a good distance with the front of the CRT pointing any way but down and the inertia and weight of the tube either sheared the mounting stand-off clean off or ripped them right out of the plastic casting.

I'd go for "dropped on it's back" as that would have smacked the end of the tube into the metal mainboard frame, snapped off the end nipple and broke the vacuum.

Any other direction (except CRT face down, which probably wouldn't have caused any damage) would have snapped the neck and caused a massive implosion.

From the picture, it looks like the air came back in through a narrow opening as the condensation patch is in the center of the screen and not all over it.

The tube is a RCA, markings LR27591 E37984, 12VCLP4 EIA1240. The mounting posts are somewhat badly damaged but perhaps they could be restored somewhat to fasten another tube.

I dug a couple of monitors out of storage, and the one I have paperwork for is manufactured 1980, so should be the right vintage. According to the schematic, the CRT is: V901 310GLB31 or 310KLB31. The phosphor is type 31 (green), so that part of the # could possibly be different and still be compatible. The (vertical?) input voltage is marked 13~40v, and the notes state that the voltage may vary (+/-) 20%. Anyone have cross-references?

--T

Back