• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hewlett Packard

I think that the short answer is YES, quite a few people!

HP calculators go very well on ebay and usually fetch a ridiculous price

I would definatlety collect HP computers and calculators, IF the price was right. As Nige The Hippy pointed out, they fetch alot of cash, and in my pint of view, they will only cost more in a few years.

--Ryan

Hi
I don't have any HP calculators but I do have a HP 21MX.
I've played with it a little but other projects have kept me
busy.
I'd still like to have a HP35 someday. I had one of the
HP33 ( I think that was right ) with LED display. It failed
one day and I tossed it.
Dwight

I did have 2 "gummy wheels". Managed to fix one, down to one gummy wheel. You will have google the "HP 85 gummy wheel problem". It's great fun. Plus all the tape programs from back then all "delaminate", which means the mag. coating comes off the plastic part of the tape. I wasted a few bucks buying those tapes.

What is so fantastic about the post working? Are you using some sorta program to post on here, other than the internet?

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS "SNOWBALL" INTO A BILLION OFF TOPIC POSTS!!!

The above is totally neccesary, so I am not liable for OT posting.

--Ryan

Ever since the *outage* I get constant error message about "connection reset" or "connection dropped". Sometimes have to hit "reload" literally 50 times to get one post up on the screen so I can read it. So, it's a BIG DEAL to me when a post works.

My current combo of iMac G3 (350Mhz), running debian linux 4.0, using gnome default browser (mozilla in a thin disguise) cuts my 50 reloads down to a glorious 4 or 6 or 22. (sing along) "Heaven, I'm in Heaven"

I don't believe it! Erik's ISP said "Must be Chuck's ISP". Well..... it was! Looks like they turned on some sort of proxy crud and didn't tell anybody. If I go thru the new proxy, forum works great again.

Ya, I recently bought an HP-35 off of ebay. Prices are silly. I spent 45 bucks on a power plug, 15 dollars on a chinese bootleg battery and then 50 bucks on the calculator itself with a nice leather case. Its a very interesting calculator, its a totally different way to use a calculator.

Yes, I collect HP computers. I have mini's like the 2116, 2100a, 21MX systems. Also an HP 250. The larger desktop
calculators and computers are also fun. The 9830 runs BASIC and is easy to use except for the tiny display. The HP 85 also runs BASIC, is usually cheap to buy and has a small CRT display, much nicer than the 9830's LED display.

Some can be seen on my web site:
www.dvq.com

Bob

I'm working with the OmniFlop program author. We are working on getting HP 9121 diskette images working. Which will be great as I can download all the images off the web for the various Pacs. I found out the hard way that all the original HP tapes are history by now. The oxide coating peels off the mylar tape surface, makes it very hard to read the Basic programs.

Hi, H-P Enthusiasts! I have a bit of a 'stumper' for you. Do any of you know what Hewlett-Packard's "C5 micro-" project was (from the late 1970s)? According to who your source is, you may have heard it referred to as "C5 micro-controller" and/or "C5 micro-computer."

So far, the most interesting thing I've been able to find out about it is the fact that Steve Wozniak's friend (and former boss at H-P) Pete Dickinson was on the engineering team.

Initially designed circa 1976-1977, it looks like this "C5 micro-" project would have been one of the next things Mr. Dickinson worked on for H-P after Woz left H-P to work full-time at Apple.

Trouble is: I just don't know what the thing actually was (or was intended to do)! I also don't know if "C5 micro-" was later given another name and released as an H-P product or if it was abandoned... or... what.

Do any of you know more about the "C5 micro-" project? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

_Serious Thanks_ for any help,

Steve

Assuming it's referring to a commercial product, it's probably either the HP-85 computer (Project Capricorn) or the Capricorn microprocessor family. Steve Wozniak supposedly left HP because he wasn't allowed to work on Capricorn.

Assuming it's referring to a commercial product, it's probably either the HP-85 computer (Project Capricorn) or the Capricorn microprocessor family. Steve Wozniak supposedly left HP because he wasn't allowed to work on Capricorn.

Yes... The dates referred to in the attached photos of this document I located certainly seem to work with the development dates for Capricorn (i.e. the HP-85).

Also, item 1 in the memo indicates they were leaning towards employing memory module cards for "field" (i.e. post retail sale) RAM upgrades.

While Item 2 seems to refer to installation/configuration of motherboard RAM (pre-shipment).

Pretty neat to get a little insight into what they were thinking, way back then.

Thanks for your reply, Accutron.

Attachments

• 20180508_212804~01.jpg
    20180508_212804~01.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180508_212804~02.jpg
    20180508_212804~02.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back